Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I took delivery of my Luna Cycle Fatbike based on a KHS3000 Fatbike. The bike came mostly assembled and I have ridden it a little bit in the subdivision while waiting on the handlebars to show up. Thankfully they showed up today so I got them installed as soon as they hit the door. Man what a difference the Jeff Jones 2.5" loopbar made. It's very quick and a lot of fun. I can't wait to get it out on the trails. Extras are of course the loopbar, Jones extended grips, Jones bag, thudbuster seatpost, Brooks B17 saddle, and spd pedals. I also had a set of 29+ wheels built for it but I think I'm going to ride it like it is for a while.*

·
Banned
19 Posts
It's very quick and a lot of fun. I can't wait to get it out on the trails.
Yeah, about that.

""Ludicrous Edition" is standard option for this bike (for off road, pit bike, private property etc use only) illegal for street use."

Where are you going to ride it legally?

·
Bipolar roller
1,601 Posts
Yeah, about that.

""Ludicrous Edition" is standard option for this bike (for off road, pit bike, private property etc use only) illegal for street use."

Where are you going to ride it legally?
Any OHV trail will do. Be a blast at downieville.

Nice looking bike OP. That thing is going to rip!

·
Banned
19 Posts
Any OHV trail will do. Be a blast at downieville.

Nice looking bike OP. That thing is going to rip!
He's in Tennessee, not CA.

That Luna isn't an ebike per TN law (or CA law for that matter), hence the manufacturer's disclaimer and my question about the trails that he mentioned.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Awesome. Weren't we just discussing a few days ago how bikes way over the class 1 power limits will never be a big deal because nobody will have them?

Yeah.

Have fun on the moto trails, OP.

-Walt
You can easily reprogram the bbshd to be any eBike class. You want a class .5 that shuts off at 8mph, no problem.

Weren't you the poster that said there isn't any enforcement so have at it?

Sweet Bike!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You can easily reprogram the bbshd to be any eBike class. You want a class .5 that shuts off at 8mph, no problem.

Weren't you the poster that said there isn't any enforcement so have at it?

Sweet Bike!
I'd rather not see the OP riding all-out on my local trails. The conversation that Walt is talking about never happened. The Ministry of Truth took it down.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd rather not see the OP riding all-out on my local trails. The conversation that Walt is talking about never happened. The Ministry of Truth took it down.
If they are your trails, just put up no trespassing signs and call the cops, or use a gun. Of all the people I would like to kick of public trails, OP would be far down on the list. EBikers (Of all classes) are generally too lazy to ride a bike all out, but the Strava jocks who can't chill for anybody are everywhere.

·
Bipolar roller
1,601 Posts
He's in Tennessee, not CA.
Ya, but I am in California and about an hour away from downieville. So, like I said, looks like it would be a blast to ride there. I have been looking at a Luna kit for some time now.

That Luna isn't an ebike per TN law (or CA law for that matter), hence the manufacturer's disclaimer and my question about the trails that he mentioned.
Pretty sure he just said trails. Reagardless, do they not have ohv trails in Tennessee? I really don't know, never been there.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Ya, but I am in California and about a mile away from downieville. So, like I said, looks like it would be a blast to ride there. I have been looking at a Luna kit for some time now.
Great. Just keep it to the legal stuff and out of the Basin and you won't have any problems.

Pretty sure he just said trails.
Right, which is why I asked for clarification. He's already admitted that he doesn't care about breaking the law on the road so I am curious if he's planning to take his electric motorcycle with pedals on MTB trails or stick to moto-legal stuff.

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
2,961 Posts
Great. Just keep it to the legal stuff and out of the Basin and you won't have any problems.

Right, which is why I asked for clarification. He's already admitted that he doesn't care about breaking the law on the road so I am curious if he's planning to take his electric motorcycle with pedals on MTB trails or stick to moto-legal stuff.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Comin' on strong new guy! :thumbsup:
Seriously, no one cares.
Nice ride OP, BRRRRAP IT UP!!
And why is LBB still a moderator for faks sake??? :confused:

·
Banned
19 Posts
Why would I need to keep a bike like that out of the Tahoe basin?
For someone who "lives a mile from Downieville" it's surprising that you're not familiar with the fantastic non-moto trails in Lakes Basin.

To answer your question, you would need to keep an electric motorcycle with pedals like that off of most of the trails in the Lake Tahoe Basin because, motor.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For someone who "lives a mile from Downieville" it's surprising that you're not familiar with the fantastic non-moto trails in Lakes Basin.

To answer your question, you would need to keep an electric motorcycle with pedals like that off of most of the trails in the Lake Tahoe Basin because, motor.
Ah how cute, I got quoted!

If the OP was scared of being busted for riding an eBike on any non-eBike trail, they could always remove the motor and install a crankset. Any competent mechanic could do it in under five minutes.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Ah how cute, I got quoted!

If the OP was scared of being busted for riding an eBike on any non-eBike trail, they could always remove the motor and install a crankset. Any competent mechanic could do it in under five minutes.
The OP doesn't have an ebike though. At least according to current law.

Do ebikes-on-mtb-trails proponents really want to lump electric motorcycles with pedals like the OP bought in with legal Class 1 ebikes?

·
Registered
375 Posts
The OP doesn't have an ebike though. At least according to current law.

Do ebikes-on-mtb-trails proponents really want to lump electric motorcycles with pedals like the OP bought in with legal Class 1 ebikes?
In under five minutes OP could have his eBike fill any class of eBike, or be considered an unassisted bicycle as well. You wouldn't want an unassisted pedal powered bicycle to be considered a motorcycle would you?

·
Banned
19 Posts
In under five minutes OP could have his eBike fill any class of eBike, or be considered an unassisted bicycle as well.
This is very doubtful.

Also, yYour "defense" seems to be that the OP can revert his bike back into a mountain bike or modify/swap the electronics to limit it to Class 1 status so he can legally ride some trails.

How likely is that?

You wouldn't want an unassisted pedal powered bicycle to be considered a motorcycle would you?
This makes no sense.

An "unassisted pedal powered bicycle" would never be considered a motor cycle. Because, motor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.