Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boyz, I came home from a trip to be surprised by my wife with a new Stumpy 29er FSR! Man do I have the greatest wife or what. :thumbsup:

My first ride was yesterday down the Mount Vernon trail. I didn't want to get off the bike, it just feels great to finally be on a bike that fits me. I feel like I'm a whole foot higher off the ground with this bke. I'm 6'6" 260lbs and am lookin forward to hitting some dirt trails.

I also got to try out a set of cleats (never riden with them before) and what a difference does that make.

I have two questions for you guys. I'm looking to get a second set of wheels for road riding (mainly the Mount Vernon trail - paved trail along the Potomac river, VA) so I don't wear down my nice racing XC rubbers. What kind of rims do you recommend for something like that? I'm thinking of getting a wheel set with slicks or something of the sorts or is that just plain nonsense? Should I just ride the off road tires and get new ones once they wear down? Any particular rims a 260lbser should be looking at?

Also, ist there a web site where I can pick up some bike shorts for big and tall riders? I wear a 38" waist and am looking for some baggy mountain bike shorts.

Thanks for your input!
Paul

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Nice...

Glad to hear you got a really nice bike. High marks for your wife as well. Is it XXL?

I would consider using the stock wheels for slicks and maybe upgrading to a set of bling wheels for your off road riding. This, of course, will not be cheap but maybe the best upgrade you can make for the money. If not, I would consider DT 7.1 rims (originally a touring rim I believe) with either DT 340 hubs or Shimano XT hubs laced with double butted spokes. This is a pretty solid build and would hold up well.

I would look at Hoss shorts. Their baggies are nice and at a good price compared to others.

www.hossmtb.com

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stew for the tips. I got the Stumpy in an XL. I was thinking about getting an XXL but the XL simply felt better to me. It's still amazing how much higher I am while riding the bike and I feel I can manouver the XL better than an XXL. I was thinking the same about the "stock" rims. Use them for the slicks and get a beefier set for the off road. What or where can you pick up a nice set that I won't have to be afraid of crushing when coming off my first jump? What would you consider as "bling wheels"? Or is that what you described further down in your post?

i.e. "I would consider DT 7.1 rims (originally a touring rim I believe) with either DT 340 hubs or Shimano XT hubs laced with double butted spokes."

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
Sorry Bunyan...

I was gone for a few days and missed your reply. I would consider the DT rims and hubs to be more moderately priced wheelset. If you wanted to step up a little more, I would consider maybe XTR hubs and Stan's Flow rims with double butted spokes. I have that very set on my Sultan and have been very happy. They have taken a reasonable amount of rocky trails and I have had zero problems with them in a year. You've got about 30 lbs on me so I am not sure whether it would be better for you to go 32 or 36 hole. I have read that 32 hole wheels can actually be stronger than 36 but I don't have any science to back that up.

I9 makes really sweet wheels but they are also a fair amount more in price. I have King hubs on my other bike and they are great, bombproof and easy to do maintenance. Again a little more spendy though.

I would consider talking to Mikesee about the set up that would last for you and not be crazy heavy. He's a really sharp dude and is pretty pessemistic (reasonable may a better word) when it comes to durability. I am not affiliated with him but have read many of his posts and have been a customer before.

Good luck.

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
SHORTS = www.aerotechdesigns.com

Have you thought about buying a second bike for riding on the road? Check out the '09Specialized Crosstrail. The base model starts at $440 and has a pretty decent parts pick for the money and it comes with 700c wheels and wide 45c tires. If you have the room
I suggest going this route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.