Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding and racing a Stumpy FSR for the past 4 years, I finally got and Epic. I missed the expert podium by one spot a few weeks ago, so I figured it was time to move up to an Epic.

All I can say is the suspension is MAGIC. It’s much plusher than I thought it would be. I test rode several bikes and almost got a Racer-X. But the shock on the Rx felt harsh—too progressive and heavily damped. The Epic shock is firm but as soon as it hits a bump it fully release. Sweet! I have to hand it to Specialized; they’ve really improved the Epic over the past few years.

I got the 08 Marathon frame and a Fox F100RLC fork. I spec'd it with a mix of SRAM X-9 & XT, Juicy 7 brakes. With I-9 wheels it's a hair over 25 lbs.

Here’s a photo of the new addition:

Attachments

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

My wife had an Epic a couple of years ago. Even though it was a size too small for me, I took it out one day. You are right; the shock is incredible. There's no denying the "brain" part of it. It was firm and efficient when it was relatively flat and then opened right up when it got rough. Here's to you being on the podium with this steed!

·
Uit Nederland
348 Posts
Nice bike dude...
One quick question I figured people in here would know;
It's been mentioned on other threads that there is no frame difference between the Epic Marathon and Epic comp or expert minus the carbon rear linkage, correct? If so, is there a way to buy just an expert or comp frame? And where?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow Farmertan, nice Epic. 25 lbs. is pretty light w/ a Fox fork. Can you tell me what size is your Epic and can you post some close up pics of your wheels and I9 hubs? I'm looking for some new wheels myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
fujirider1 said:
Nice bike dude...
One quick question I figured people in here would know;
It's been mentioned on other threads that there is no frame difference between the Epic Marathon and Epic comp or expert minus the carbon rear linkage, correct? If so, is there a way to buy just an expert or comp frame? And where?
only off of ebay used... unfortunetly, they dont sell them new

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hardguy said:
Wow Farmertan, nice Epic. 25 lbs. is pretty light w/ a Fox fork. Can you tell me what size is your Epic and can you post some close up pics of your wheels and I9 hubs? I'm looking for some new wheels myself. Thanks.
The frame is a medium. Here are some photos of the wheels...not the best, but you'll get the idea:

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
darkest_fugue said:
id like an epic too but its a heavy bike for its class and im afraid the brain might go nuts on me, it would need some modification to get it the way id want, yours is a beauty
I think the weight, at 5.79 lbs, is about on par for 4" race bikes, maybe a smidgen heavier. Even so, I think the efficiency of the shock makes up for it.

If the brain shock were to go "nuts", Specialized will overnight another one. At least that was my experience when the wiper seal on my Stumpy brain shock came loose.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CHSAD said:
What is your opinion of those ZTR rims? Also what is your weight? I am 170 and deciding between the 355 or the Olympic for my epic.
I've heard that the Olympic rims can feel a little flimsy, but I've never actuall ridden them. Normally I'm 142 pounds in the morning. After a nasty stomach bug last weekend I'm 135 lbs. I need to put on a little meat now, but I've sure been flying up the hills the past few days. :)

At 170 lbs, I'd go with the 355's if I were you. I LOVE the 355 rims. I use standard FastTrak LK Pro tires that haven't leaked in 9 months. I wouldn't use any other rim for racing now.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
funny how this thread came up again since i own a 23.5 pound epic now, shes my all round bike from getting around to offroad jaunts to 60 mile marathon rides, however i have made a few freeride friends of late and i cant take the epic where they take their bikes, im drooling for an sx2

1 - 20 of 28 Posts