Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Do You Like To Climb?
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should be receiving a Fox 32 Talas for my Slayer. Was looking for a Float RLC but the Talas is what I found.

How much should I expect to have an LBS install for me? Also, I shouldn't need to replace the headset, should I?

Below is an older picture. I have SRAM shifters and RD now. I would like to get a Thomson stem at some point but I am not quite sure of the length of the stock stem.

·
Do You Like To Climb?
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That, and swapping over the front disc. I was thinking $60 to $80. Thanks.

Good choice on the fork? What length do think oem stem is? just curious.

·
Do You Like To Climb?
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have not been happy with the fork since the beginning. Was plush compared the the super-v I was riding previously but the Z1 SL was finicky. Hard to get set just right. A little plus or minus either way and it just did not ride quite right. Now the seals in the smaller air chamber are blown. Visited three LBSs and was not impressed with their approach to service. Response was invariably somethhing like, yeh we can probably take care of it. Bring in the bike. We'll send out the fork and eventually you'll get it back.

So, instead of springing for a $200plus iffy repair job to a fork I never liked, why not look for a good deal on a well respected Fox fork. So yes, $449+shipping and installation is more than what I had budgeted for a repair, I am thinking I may well be happier in the end.

Once I get the new fork installed I will likely throw the Marz on flea-bay however I don't think there is much of a market for a used/blown fork. Didn't Marz make the Z1-SL for just one year anyway? Seems to me Rocky Mountain switched to Fox the next model year anyway.

Here's one of me from a while back, thinking, ugh, this thing is just not quite right. . . There *must* be a 'set it and forget it' fork out there somewhere. . .

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I tried a friends Slayer last week, he's running a shorter stem and set back Thomson seat post and it improved the handling a lot, if I had any money I'd change mine to the same but it wasn't really a fair test because my headset if completely finished and he's just put on a new CB Cobalt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.