Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost finished my AM machine. Weighs in at ~31lbs right now. Only thing missing is Formula The One brakeset. Coming soon. What do you think? This bike is so much fun and really rips.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
louman said:
now thats what i call a mountain bike, leaving work to go riding now.
Thanks dude, thats the spirit too! Why work when you can ride? What does that thing weigh? Sick ride.

@PNW - Thanks, I love the combo too. Stem is super stiff and bars a bit flexy and forgiving. The width rocks too..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Edray,
Looks like the perfect bike to do a little climbing along with shuttling...have to see if I can line up one for my next trip to Snowshoe, which is by a strange coincidence in EDRAY, WV.
as my Pitch was not quite up to the job(ok, I wasnt up to it :D)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone!
JayDial - I ebayed the fox decals for $10. They rock.
Demondude - post up pics! I really like the '06's, good choice. Such a great-handling bike. With the longer shock it really brings the geo up to trail spec.

·
Registered
925 Posts
thanks

There are some more HAWT Sx's on this link http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=572874

Here are some crappy cell phone pics.
The first pic is with the seatpost all the way up and the fork at 165mm, the second pic is the adj seatpost down position and the fork down at 125mm. I'm not sure why I took the photos like this but you get the idea of the adjustablities.

Some of the parts:
2006 SX frame size long
Marzocchi 55 ATA Micro fork, adj 125-165mm, 5lbs on the nose!
Easton Havoc Wheelset 09, W/ Funbolt setup 1950grams for front and rear
Clutch 2.3 front tire, Eskar 2.3 rear
Hone cranks with Envy Double E2 ring setup (requires no derailer but manual shifts by hand or foot)
Juicy 5 brakes
XO shifter
Specialized Command Post. 6 rides in and it rides like a charm, no problems at all (like the first run)
Azonic B-52 scandium handlebars
Thompson X4 stem
Weight 32.2 pounds
\
My initial thoughts on the bike is simple, In the rock gardens you will be working a lot harder and going slower than your DH sled but this bike shines in the corners. Its like it digs in and you can really carve. It climbs just "ok" but I suck at climbing anyway. I'm pretty tall and when the seatpost is way up there you can see where your ass is orientated--- pretty close to hovering over the rear axle. I haven't slid my seat foward yet but plan on shifting it foward about 1 cm. On a couple of very steep climbs I was fighting to keep the front end down this could be due to my current lack of finess and fitness. I may be going with a low and wide bar soon which could help this situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Demodude said:
There are some more HAWT Sx's on this link http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=572874

Here are some crappy cell phone pics.
The first pic is with the seatpost all the way up and the fork at 165mm, the second pic is the adj seatpost down position and the fork down at 125mm. I'm not sure why I took the photos like this but you get the idea of the adjustablities.

Some of the parts:
2006 SX frame size long
Marzocchi 55 ATA Micro fork, adj 125-165mm, 5lbs on the nose!
Easton Havoc Wheelset 09, W/ Funbolt setup 1950grams for front and rear
Clutch 2.3 front tire, Eskar 2.3 rear
Hone cranks with Envy Double E2 ring setup (requires no derailer but manual shifts by hand or foot)
Juicy 5 brakes
XO shifter
Specialized Command Post. 6 rides in and it rides like a charm, no problems at all (like the first run)
Azonic B-52 scandium handlebars
Thompson X4 stem
Weight 32.2 pounds
\
My initial thoughts on the bike is simple, In the rock gardens you will be working a lot harder and going slower than your DH sled but this bike shines in the corners. Its like it digs in and you can really carve. It climbs just "ok" but I suck at climbing anyway. I'm pretty tall and when the seatpost is way up there you can see where your ass is orientated--- pretty close to hovering over the rear axle. I haven't slid my seat foward yet but plan on shifting it foward about 1 cm. On a couple of very steep climbs I was fighting to keep the front end down this could be due to my current lack of finess and fitness. I may be going with a low and wide bar soon which could help this situation.
Nice ride! I agree with your ride characteristics. I put a 7.875x2.25 RP23 on it so it gets ~ 5" of travel now instead of the ~ 4" it had originally. Also, I have the slack HT/Higher BB chip on it so it handles more like a trail bike and balances the front out so climbing is pretty good as well. The wide/low bars realllllly help it dig in more in those areas too. One of the best descending bikes I have owned. On flowy singletrack it is just amazing, even with all the tech stuff, it stays poised and confident. Great. Enjoy the bike! And the pics in that other thread are awesome, I love the new SX's in the matte colors - super sexxy and understated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.