Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well ONE - :madman: and it was on the second to last switchback - an easy one...

I was actually thinking - "Hey I made it I can post this on MTBR !!" .... and my foot came off... DAMN IT !!!......so really it's the boards fault... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ANYWAY - ALMOST all of it... AND it was 103 up there...

Few tips notes keys....:rant:

- I forgot to dial up my Talas 36 so it was in the LOWEST travel setting - I think that helped with the uphill swichbacks - keeping my center of gravity lower and more forward.

- Going into uphill switchbacks get ON the POWER on the ENTRY, then turn and you'll have more momentum to pull it up and out around the corner

- I took it VERY easy because it was so HOT 103.... I think this steady easy pace left me with plenty of energy when I got to the tricky sections where you sometimes have to put down the power quickly...

- I used the DH sections as more of a rest instead of bombing them to just keep the ride chill and keep my concentration up....

- Was in granny gear for a lot of it... kept my legs fresh and gave easy access to quick BURSTS of power when needed to save a tricky situation....

I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME TAMARANCHO !!!!!
:madmax: :mad: :devil:​

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Hot! Africa hot!

Tarzan couldn't take that kinda hot.

Nice! Nearly cleaned the whole mufugger!

I rode it a couple weeks ago on the hardtail, one lap in each direction. I got up the boulder.... on my second attempt. Yeah, I did a re-do, but then I nailed it! I managed to clean the rock garden going both ways, which was kinda tough on the hardtail, being a FS wussy and all.

I have cleaned all the tough spots of Tamarancho, just not in the same ride!

Did you do the Tamarancho race last year? I did. That was hot, especially to keep up race pace. I placed third which is unusually good for me. I think it was so hot, 4th place and behind probably DNFed.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
We want photographic proof!

Props John!!! **** this is something I wont be able to say for umm at least a month until my shoulder is healed.

I appreciate the switchback advice, that is one area I am seriosusly lacking in!

Ryan

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
baycat said:
We want photographic proof!

Props John!!! **** this is something I wont be able to say for umm at least a month until my shoulder is healed.

I appreciate the switchback advice, that is one area I am seriosusly lacking in!

Ryan
What's the result on the shoulder?

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
AC joint sprain (ligament tear) in shoulder about a month and a half of no riding...doctors orders we will see ;)

John did you do the loop in under a n hour with that heat!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope you heal soon....

baycat said:
AC joint sprain (ligament tear) in shoulder about a month and a half of no riding...doctors orders we will see ;)

And nope... took much longer... REALLY went slow - even granny geared a lot of it.....

My best time for JUST the loop from bottom of Alchemist - then clockwise loop then back to bottom of Alchemist is 66 min.... I only timed the whole ride this time......

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
baycat said:

Sorry to hear it. Take it easy and you'll be back on the saddle in no time.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yep...

jhruth said:
And nope... took much longer... REALLY went slow - even granny geared a lot of it.....

My best time for JUST the loop from bottom of Alchemist - then clockwise loop then back to bottom of Alchemist is 66 min.... I only timed the whole ride this time......
I'm about 2:30 to and from the Java Hut with two laps. Maybe I could hammertime and shave a couple minutes... but I'd rather enjoy myself. :p

Dang, I dunno why, but I'm still having trouble making that last switchback. You know the one. If you do the loop clockwise (up the boulder) there is that last uphill switchback before you hit the fireroad, and then hit the singletrack down to the Y. I dunno, but that one gets me every time (nearly). It used to be easier, but the rains must have washed out some of the dirt, and my wheels just hang up on the rocks.

Funny, but a couple years ago, I was riding down that with a bud. He came flying down that singletrack, didn't see the switchback until it was too late. He slammed on his brakes, got sideways, laid his bike down and went flying off that switchback on his behind. He managed to stop, but his bike tumbled end over end past the trail below, and we spent like 15 minutes bushwhacking to recover it. Surprisingly, no damage to rider or bike.

Get better soon, Baycat!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lets talk average speed...

From the Java Hut up Iron Springs...2 clockwise laps...no stops ...no dabs

Average speed varies between 9.5 and 10.5 mph, depending on the day.

I know somebody is beating that! Let's hear about it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not me..... THAT's DAMN fast !!!

TamJunkie said:
From the Java Hut up Iron Springs...2 clockwise laps...no stops ...no dabs

Average speed varies between 9.5 and 10.5 mph, depending on the day.

I know somebody is beating that! Let's hear about it.
NICE WORK - GO GO GO !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.