Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...only it took me two days! :p

What an awesome weekend of riding!

I got out late on Saturday for a solo session while Mrs. K-Max was working. It was freaking cold in the beginning. I showed up the same moment as a guy named Ralph. Ralph is back into riding after a long hiatus, on a purty new Enduro. We rode up together and I preached the good word of the Norcal board, and told him to get involved. He sounded like he needed some ride partners. Hope he finds his way into the community. We split up near the top and I headed over to Sawpit. The trails are in tiptop shape right now. Faster than a squirrel chasing a nut across the freeway. I roll down Sawpit and decide to climb Tractor for a descent down Braille. Being my first time up it, I wasn't sure what to expect but it was pretty nice with only a few grunts in there. I made my way to Braille and had a raging descent. I felt really good on the climb out and got to the car just before dark. That night I was so high from the ride that I wanted to do it again. So next day Mrs. K-Max accompanied me and we rode it again. This time though, we'd drop down Braille first, then up Tractor and down Sawpit. On the way down ridge trail, I launched a small log jump and came down sideways on an off-camber section of the trail. I instantly slid out and hit the dirt on my side. That was the second hardest contact I've made with the ground on a bike. If there'd been a rock there, I'd probably have broken my femur. I laid on the ground to let the pain subside and was finally able to walk off the soreness. I noticed the nice raspberry on my side but I was fit enough to keep going. We did the down, then the up and then the down again. It was later in the climb out than the previous day, so it was darker and colder. Richelle was on fire though, on the climb. I tried to stay with her but needed to spin my way out so my charley horse didn't cramp. She, on the other hand, stood up and mashed her way out. It's been pretty cool watching her improve. She went from a once-a-month rider to an all-out hammerchick that now commutes on her bike. And she's reaping the rewards now with strength and endurance. Love that girl! Anywho, when we got home, we were limp noodles. I asked her, think you could do that every time? She's like, oh yeah, why not?

What a good weekend of riding it was.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
we all missed eachother saturday

I made it out there in the AM for the easier 2 loop route (down tractor, up suffer, down braille). I'm a beginner SSer, and it was the first time riding more than one loop on the SS, and first time taking it down braille so I went slowly. I also had to walk a good portion of suffer springs. Definately enjoying the SS, but its taking riding time away from the BLT.

madzane:did you make the ride friday? I had a turkey hangover and didnt make it anywhere.

Looks like a wet week followed by nice weekend weather.. you guys up for a beer gathering, i mean ride at Demo sat?

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
K-max said:
That was the second hardest contact I've made with the ground on a bike.
The first being the day that "Kyle's Crack" on Manzanita Point Rd at Henry Coe got it's name?

I got zipped for riding on Sat and Sun. Glad you got out once for each of us...

I watched movies instead. I recommend watching Sara Michelle Geller in "The Grudge" right before you go on a solo night ride. 8^)

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correcto.

I hope I never top that carnage. Almost worth having it named after me though, even if it isn't named for my greatest attribute.

It'd be kinda fun to watch the Blair Witch Project and then go on a solo night ride.

·
Registered
302 Posts
grrrah said:
I made it out there in the AM for the easier 2 loop route (down tractor, up suffer, down braille). I'm a beginner SSer, and it was the first time riding more than one loop on the SS, and first time taking it down braille so I went slowly. I also had to walk a good portion of suffer springs. Definately enjoying the SS, but its taking riding time away from the BLT.

madzane:did you make the ride friday? I had a turkey hangover and didnt make it anywhere.

Looks like a wet week followed by nice weekend weather.. you guys up for a beer gathering, i mean ride at Demo sat?
I didn't make it to Pogonip on Friday...had stuff to do later that day and nobody wanted to hit it at 8am...I am definitely down for Demo this weekend, but I'm sick as hell so that has to get better first...

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Hey Kyle I thought that was you on sunday. I was on the silver hammerhead riding with you guys on braille. Your girl is fast indeed. I was pretty suprised how quick she was. We took it easy and climbed hinh's mill after finishing braille. My buddy Kevin and I were thinking you would be pushing it to get out before dark. Glad to hear you got out after that crash, it was getting super cold up there.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you pulled a Clark Kent on me...

I didn't recognize you without your glasses! Funny. I can't imagine what Demo looks like today after those fierce winds last night. I predict a few new log piles somewhere soon...

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
well my dumbass decided to ride out there in the rain today on the way back from santa cruz but i didnt bring the right gear with me and i dont got mudflaps on my bike so i didnt want to stay out there too logn all i did was start at highland, go up the aptos fireroad, then go down whatever the one is at the crest there to braille. Its hella slippery and i just got new tires!

Cant wait to hit it up when its dry again though ... this is only my second time out there ... and stay away from 17 when the first rain of the season hits it was ridicilous ... on my way up there i saw a rollover goin the other way ... then when i finished my ride and was headed back home i seen another crash slowin it down ... then later on the radio i heard about like 3 more crashes ... damn!

Next time i go out in the rain though im definitley bringing an extra set of boxers ... i had to drive home commando style in my jeans cause those bishes were soaked when i got back to teh car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.