Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike is pure sweetness, i see why people buy custom frames. especially us big dogs, most frames are not meant to deal w/ our weight or strength. i wanted a bike to handle like my bizango, with the stability of my dragon but with greater front triangle stiffness and more suppleness in the rear. doug delivered, BIG TIME!!! and when you consider the price its even more amazing. the bike is ultra nimble in tight east coast singletrack (it dosnt get any tighter!) and climbs so straight, the front wheel never wanders. the banana stays help dig in on technical climbs, combined with the stiff bb i dont even use my granny on this bike. in fact i took it off and i still climb easier than on my other bikes. the angles are
71 ht
73 st
tt 24.25in eff
st 16.5in c-c
st 19.5in c-t
cs 16.5in
the bike has a sloping tt (like the voodoo) to keep the front end compact and oh so responsive. the short chain stays add to the responsive feel and keep the wheel base in check. the climbing benefits have already been noted.
the bike has a z2 atom 80 ,mavic x618cd rims w/spec super stout hubs(love em!), shimano xtr cassette, klein death grip sl 2.35's, thomson stem and post, titec hellion xc ti riser, avid single digit ti brakes and levers, sram 9.0sl gripshift and derailleurs, truvativ stylo crank (180mm), time atac pedals, and sdg bel air saddle. a true clydesdale trail bike :D .

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
where's the luv?

i guess not every one gets excited about custom steel, especially in the age of 6in "all mountain" trail bikes. well, im excited even if no one else is, because i get to ride it :D !

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Hey, I'm feeling the love....

The only two bikes I ride nowadays are based on Curtlo steel frames. I had the first frame built up with canti and disc mounts two years ago and liked it and discs so much that I had Doug build me a second disc-only one. Right now I have one setup with a rigid fork and cantis and the other with a Marzocchi MX Comp 80. But I'm converting the rigid over to disc brakes here soon.I like these bikes so much for the trails here in Michigan that I sold my full suspension bike last summer.

Here links to some pics of the first frame/bike that'll give an idea of what components I used: Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

Here's the newer hardtail setup with some wheels I built recently for snow riding: Curtlo in Snow Mode

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
klydesdale said:
The only two bikes I ride nowadays are based on Curtlo steel frames. I had the first frame built up with canti and disc mounts two years ago and liked it and discs so much that I had Doug build me a second disc-only one. Right now I have one setup with a rigid fork and cantis and the other with a Marzocchi MX Comp 80. But I'm converting the rigid over to disc brakes here soon.I like these bikes so much for the trails here in Michigan that I sold my full suspension bike last summer.

Here links to some pics of the first frame/bike that'll give an idea of what components I used: Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

Here's the newer hardtail setup with some wheels I built recently for snow riding: Curtlo in Snow Mode
sweet rides!, man your pretty tall. im 6ft 2in and your bike makes mines look small.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
preach brotha!, preach!

allroads said:
Reminds me of my Mikkelsen. Custom steel is still cool.
a riding buddy of mines that rides an alu ht w/ a sus seat post took my curtlo for a spin. he was floored by how smooth but quick the bike is. he called it "a quick handling cadillac"
which is exactly what i was hoping for. im looking forward to doing 3-5hr rides w/o feeling beat to a pulp.

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
edouble said:
sweet rides!, man your pretty tall. im 6ft 2in and your bike makes mines look small.
I'm about three inched taller than you but I carry a lot of that height in my torso so I needed a relatively long and tall front end to be comfortable. And I wanted to get the handlebars up higher too because I have some back problems to deal with.

My Curtlo frames have:
71 degree head angle
71 degree seat angle
23" c-t seat tube
26.12" eff. top tube.
7.5" headtube
17.25" chainstays

I laid the seat angle back a bit more than the typical 72-73 degrees so I could run a straight Thomson post and not have the saddle too far back in the seatpost clamps. This worked out pretty well. I haven't bent a saddle rail on this bike yet..

These two bikes are the most comfortable ones I've ever ridden.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.