Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got my 08 spot built up. It took me some time to decide about a fork, and finally I took the plunge and went to Magura Thor with a 20mm axle so I had to get a new wheel built up. Thanks to Larry at Mountain High for once again feeding my habit.

So compared to the Burner, the Spot actually a bit less bob in the climbs and has way more travel. The Thor is no comparison to my Fox Float RLC 100mm, far smoother and much more linear, it feels like a Cadillac.

My only question is why is this thing so heavy. My Burner built up the same way came in at 29 pounds. All that has changed to the 08 Spot is the frame, fork, front wheel, and cranks. The frame supposedly weighs the same as my old Burner (6.2 pounds), the fork only adding 100-150 grams (including the 60 less axle). The replacement wheel is actually 50 grams lighter than the old one, I weighed both of them. I went from old LX cranks to new XT external bottom bracket cranks which should be about 50-100 grams lighter. All said the bike should have built up at 29.5 pounds, it came in at 31.2 pounds (measured without the seat pack). The build is as follows:

* Frame Size & Color: Large 2008 Sangria
* Fork: Magura Thor
* Brakes: Avid BB7 Mechanicals
* Cranks: Shimano XT 770
* Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
* Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-9
* Pedals: Shimano PD-M540
* Stem: Thomson 100x15mm
* Handlebar: Performance CFR Carbon Riser
* Seatpost: Thomson Elite 330mm
* Saddle: Terry Fly TI
* Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT external BB
* Cassette: SRAM PG-990 12-32
* Headset: Cane Creek S-8
* Grips: Oury clamp ons
* Front Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 UST with 4 oz of Specialized Airlock Fluid
* Front Rim: Mavic 819 UST
* Front Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II
* Rear Tire: Schwalbe Albert 2.25 UST with 4 oz of Specialized Airlock Fluid
* Rear Rim: Mavic 3.1 UST
* Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope XC

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Heavy?

I would say the frame is most likley more than the 6.2lbs,maybe for a Med.but you only gained 2.2lbs and 1.5" of travel.Sound like a good trade off to me.Now go get it dirty and then weigh it.How about the scale being the problem?

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm happy with the ride, just wondering why the weight gain.

I didn't weigh the frame, I went off of Turner's published weights for both frames.
The fork weight comes from other people's measurements, I probably should have weighed it myself.

I ride Diablo a bit, usually up Wallpoint and back down through Borgess Ranch.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Mine weights 32+ pounds but feels light given how efficient it moves when I crank on the pedals.

Be glad it's that light. A good sturdy bike is worth it's extra weight.

If you want lighter, put some silly light low rolling resistance tires on it like some Hutchinson pythons. It will be lighter and move faster.

Remember it's easier and cheaper to lose body weight than bike weight and the more you ride a heavy bike, the easier it is.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Red bikes weight more.

My spot started out around 29lbs. After switching to my spare EX823 36h rear wheel, and adding my Gravity Dropper it's over 32lbs.
That said I'll prolly switch back to my XMXL wheel for a while but I'll miss the CK hub.

Sac up and pedal harder. :D

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Heavy skewers? Kidding. Beautiful bike. Love the color. A red that a guy can ride without apologizing!

Weight seems reasonable for the build. If it really matters to you, here are your heavy parts, IMO:

* Brakes: Avid BB7 Mechanicals
* Stem: Thomson 100x15mm
* Seatpost: Thomson Elite 330mm
* Cassette: SRAM PG-900 12-32
* Grips: Oury clamp ons
* Front Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 UST with 4 oz of Specialized Airlock Fluid

Personally, I'd keep the first 3 above, and forget about the weight. All 3 are good picks. When the last 3 wear out, I'd go upmarket a bit on the cassette, use regular Oury grips (w/safety wire), and pick a non-UST tire that converts well to tubeless.

Then I would practice saying "around 30 pounds" and/or "I dunno, I never bothered weighing it" for when people ask about weight. XC guys, in particular, HATE IT when you tell them you don't know what your bike weighs. It's fun. ;)

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Red bikes weight more.

My spot started out around 29lbs. After switching to my spare EX823 36h rear wheel, and adding my Gravity Dropper it's over 32lbs.
That said I'll prolly switch back to my XMXL wheel for a while but I'll miss the CK hub.

Sac up and pedal harder. :D
what Zilla said - your build is great - although you can save 1/2 lb just by adding some K18s or other decent brakes. A Turner frame deserves better than $50 mechanical brakes that are basically on or off....my 06 spot below is 30 lbs as built. (excuse the dirty garage)

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
BTW, all the weights people post are subject to the scales calibration and round-off errors--which are always suspect at best.

Given my experience and measurements, I don't believe some of the numbers I'm seeing some people are posting,...either that or my bike is way lighter than I measured.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,443 Posts
Avid mechs are notorously heavy, as well as that cassette. Save the SRAM aluminum lockring, get a shimano XT cassette and some decent hydros. You'd probably save nearly a pound total. The clamp-on grips are pretty heavy too.

Oh, BTW, you say your front wheel is lighter than the old one? Realize Mavic 819 weights usually do not include all the little aluminum eyelet things that are required for the nipples. They're 500+g rims, I forget exactly how much right now, but those parts add weight.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the all the comments. FYI, I weighed the bike with both my fish scale and by using a regular scale (weighed myself with and without the bike), both gave identical numbers.

1) I started with Juicy 7's 5 years ago and after 2 years of constant problems got rid of them and went to the Mechanicals. Heavy and reliable. When the budget allows, I will probably go to Maguras.

2) I mistyped the SRAM cassette, it is the PG-990, so it is light.

3) Front wheel fully built up weighs 920 grams. The old one was 970 grams.

·
parts leftover
997 Posts
You have half a pound of fluid in those fairly heavy tires, so you've added weight right where you'll feel it the most. Your stem is a nearly a quarter of a pound heavier than some other alternatives. Switching to Magura carbon brakes will save some weight, as well as a 2.3 tire in the 600g range along with butyl tubes (if you don't have thorns). Your fork is most likely heavier than advertised, did you weigh it before installation? Your wheelset is ~1875g, so not too bad. Crossmax ST would have been lighter at 1645g for a half pound weight savings, though. Ritchey neoprene grips save a small amount of weight over lock-ons for a cheap price. Overall, though, 31lb isn't a bad weight for a Spot that doesn't carry XTR and X.0 stuff.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
schlim said:
You have half a pound of fluid in those fairly heavy tires, so you've added weight right where you'll feel it the most. Your stem is a nearly a quarter of a pound heavier than some other alternatives. Switching to Magura carbon brakes will save some weight, as well as a 2.3 tire in the 600g range along with butyl tubes (if you don't have thorns). Your fork is most likely heavier than advertised, did you weigh it before installation? Your wheelset is ~1875g, so not too bad. Crossmax ST would have been lighter at 1645g for a half pound weight savings, though. Ritchey neoprene grips save a small amount of weight over lock-ons for a cheap price. Overall, though, 31lb isn't a bad weight for a Spot that doesn't carry XTR and X.0 stuff.
so if you were building some sort of endurance race bike (like a flux perhaps) what stem would you get as an alternative to a Thomson X4 ?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,443 Posts
CDMC said:
Mechanicals. Heavy and reliable.

2) I mistyped the SRAM cassette, it is the PG-990, so it is light.

3) Front wheel fully built up weighs 920 grams. The old one was 970 grams.
Actually, the XT cassette is still abuot 20g lighter, and the XTR is about 40g lighter for an equivalent size (11-32, etc), and it will be lighter still if you save and use the SRAM aluminum lock-ring. It's one of the places where you save a little weight AND get better reliability/strength/performance.

I highly doubt your wheel is that light.

Rim, 465+60g for the nipple inserts = 525g
Spokes, 32x 2.0/1.8 (double butted) = 180g
Nipples (special long-nipples are requierd for 819s) = 40g
Hub, = 180g
Rim strip = 16g

Grand total? 941g, if you are using straight gauge spokes add about 20g, the estimate for the nipples was pretty conservative too, those 16mm nipples are pretty heavy. Things like the spokes and nipples make a difference. If you have alloy nipples (I don't recommend this) and maybe Supercomp spokes or even revolutions (I've had no problems with them on front wheels), you can drop 40-50g off of the spokes compared to straight gauge, and about 20g off of the nipples. That's a pretty dramatic amount of weight saved on a wheel (relatively cheap and easy IF you know how to build wheels). As an example, I have a mavic F519 front wheel that I built as described above, it's not the lightest rim, but lighter than the 819, it has a WTB laserdisc hub and comes out far lighter than your front 819. That was back when I cared about weight.

If it was me and I really wanted to save weight, I'd get the XTR cassette (-40g), do the rebuild of the front wheel (-70g), lose the lock-on grips (-50g), switch to a fairly light disc brake setup, formula, hope, shimano or magura (the avid setup is 1050+g for levers, cables, housing, calipers), so with a light disc setup (750-760g these days) you're saving about 290g.

Add all this up, and you're saving almost exactly a pound. Otherwise, you'd have to re-evaluate a lot of the minor things on your bike, the stem, the headset, the rear wheel build, the tires, tubes/tubless setup, the pedals (legeaters, unreliable as hell, but will save you another 100g or so), and so on. You could really get the weight down if you did this, but then you're looking at some uber-expensive swaps and the cost will increase quickly. You'd be spending another grand or more to save 1-2lbs at the most.

On the brakes, well if you like heavy, then don't complain too much. ;)

·
... I guess you won't be
1,971 Posts
sheesh, my Large spot's a tick over 34lbs, but I'm not complaining a bit...I'll gladly tote around the extra pounds for the luxury of having some burlier bits when the going gets out of hand....but, if anything, I'd agree that the BB7's are very heavy [don't drop one on your toe!].....I got em on my SS, but not the spot.

Yup, she's a pig!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.