Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am kinda new to real mountain biking. I always jumped rocks and such with my huffies and old schwinns. A couple years ago I bought a used kona lavadome with conti road tires and an older model rock shox fork. It was amazing and still is. But now I want to go back to jumping things and doing manuals etc etc. So these past few weeks I have been scouting out mtbreview and vendor sites for good deals on quality parts. I bought the following things.

1. 2003 Rock Shox judy xc new - 80.00
2. M-525 Shimano hydro front brake new - 50.00
3. WTB speedisc dual duty wheels with with nano raptor tires used - 50.00
4. Sette venn stem and vector straight bar new - 20.00
5. Oury handlebar grips new - 6.00
6. KORE bike chain stay used- 10.00
7. Thomson elite seatpost used - 25.00
8. FSA The pig headset new - 20.00
9. Sette mx2 Cromoly Skewers new - 6.00
10.Panaracer fire xc pro rear tire new - 14.00
11.Nice looken Bell helmet new - 6.50

So all this stuff and some other things i bought came out to about 300 dollars. I was originally going to keep it simple but i just couldnt help myself, buying things is so damn fun. Anyway now i am wondering if i should have just bought a whole new bike. You guys think i got a good deal on this stuff? My main goal was good quality, light parts and good price. I know a lot of peeps dont like rock shox anymore but for 80.00 and me being a novice i thought it would be okay. I have some noob questions.

1. Any tips for installing handlebars
2. What exactly is a starnut?
3. My BB is 68/110 i couldnt find any good deals on a new BB and crankset, you guys recommend something for under 50 dollars?
4. What things need to be greased and what things should be left alone?
5. If you got any parts laying around and think they would be good for my bike post and ill get back to you.

Well thats about it for now. Ill have pics of the build so that other noobs can see what im doing. thanks in advance

rc.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
hinduluv said:
So I am kinda new to real mountain biking. I always jumped rocks and such with my huffies and old schwinns. A couple years ago I bought a used kona lavadome with conti road tires and an older model rock shox fork. It was amazing and still is. But now I want to go back to jumping things and doing manuals etc etc. So these past few weeks I have been scouting out mtbreview and vendor sites for good deals on quality parts. I bought the following things.

1. 2003 Rock Shox judy xc new - 80.00
2. M-525 Shimano hydro front brake new - 50.00
3. WTB speedisc dual duty wheels with with nano raptor tires used - 50.00
4. Sette venn stem and vector straight bar new - 20.00
5. Oury handlebar grips new - 6.00
6. KORE bike chain stay used- 10.00
7. Thomson elite seatpost used - 25.00
8. FSA The pig headset new - 20.00
9. Sette mx2 Cromoly Skewers new - 6.00
10.Panaracer fire xc pro rear tire new - 14.00
11.Nice looken Bell helmet new - 6.50

So all this stuff and some other things i bought came out to about 300 dollars. I was originally going to keep it simple but i just couldnt help myself, buying things is so damn fun. Anyway now i am wondering if i should have just bought a whole new bike. You guys think i got a good deal on this stuff? My main goal was good quality, light parts and good price. I know a lot of peeps dont like rock shox anymore but for 80.00 and me being a novice i thought it would be okay. I have some noob questions.

1. Any tips for installing handlebars
2. What exactly is a starnut?
3. My BB is 68/110 i couldnt find any good deals on a new BB and crankset, you guys recommend something for under 50 dollars?
4. What things need to be greased and what things should be left alone?
5. If you got any parts laying around and think they would be good for my bike post and ill get back to you.

Well thats about it for now. Ill have pics of the build so that other noobs can see what im doing. thanks in advance

rc.
First off, a few things that no one should ever work on a bike without.

1. Sheldon Browns website. Excellent articles on many tasks.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

2. Parktool website. More articles. More corporate then Sheldon.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

The vast majority of your questions can be answered on those sites. As far as purchasing online I tend to stick with Jenson www.jensonusa.com as they have always treated me fair.

Have fun, and post pics of your build!

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
hinduluv said:
holy that sheldon site is amazing!

thanks 007.

any thoughts on a cheap crankset with BB????
Yup, Sheldons is one of my all time favorite bike resource sites.

As for the cheat crankset, I can not think of anything for the $50 range. I personally like the Shimano line of items, maybe try finding a good used LX/XT set?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Yeah. Luck and lots of it. I hope everything you bought is the proper size. Besides Sheldon a good bike maintenance book is key and a friend who knows what they are doing. Good luck.

And yes buying a bike new would have been cheaper, but likely not as fun or as educational.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you really think that it would have been cheaper with my components and disc brakes?? i couldnt find any. Anyway i was looking over my kona lavadome frame and there are some rust spots here and there. and scratches etc etc. In the future ill prolly use rear disc brakes as well so i dont know if i am going to install all this stuff on this frame. i want a steel frame, that being said what is your guys input on the phobia from universal cycles? everything would transfer over except the seatpost, so i think that it would be a good buy for 120 shipped. especially cause of the ox 2 steel or whatever.

i checked the BB will fit fine and it uses a inch and an eighth steerer, same as judy xcs.

what you guys think should i buy it that would put me at about 420 for an almost completely new bike.

rc..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aight everyone, i went and bought the OX steel frame from universal, ill let everyone know how it turns out. Now if i can only find someone to help with the install who lives in indy. I dont want to F up everything myself.

rc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Phobia Frame

That's a very decent frame for the price, it will be a great ride for about $500!!

Also, if you haven't had these answered yet...

-if it goes in a hole, grease it. This applies to bolts, skewers, fork, headset, anything!!
-the starnut fits about 1/4 inch into a threadless fork and is one of the most crucial parts of the headset/fork combo. A bolt will go thru the headset cap and tighten into the starnut to adjust for play/tightness. NEVER OVERTIGHTEN.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey man, thanks for answering my questions. i started putting stuff together and buying tools and realized to do it right i need to buy a lot more tools so im letting professionals do it this time. sucks though, i was looking forward to putting it together. anyway, thanks for the support, pics up in about a week for those noobs interested.

rc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts