Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
R.I.P. Pugsley.
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started little under a year ago with me stumbling upon some pics and films of Pugsley's on the net (guess who's ?), and i immediately knew i wanted one !:D
Then i had some financial luck, and immediately started to order the bulk of the goods to build one.
My first plan was to build one with a 11spd Alfine that was not available yet.
And while i was waiting on that, i was offered a Rohloff for a good price.
Which is now being fully serviced before it goes on the bike.
Shortly after that i found a brandspanking new SC32, only i had some trouble getting the hub form a UK shop. (thanks Canoe for helping me out with this !!:thumbsup: )
After taking so much time that others have even fabricated babies...
Today i finally got to take a ride on mine !

The temporary set up for now consists of the following parts :

22" Pugs
47mm Trialtech rim laced to a 24/7 hub and SC32 up in the front.
Large Marge laced to a Hope Pro2 SS hub in the rear and stopped with Magura HS-33's
CK headset
Da Bomb stem.
Da Bomb saddle. (The Lepper saddle is still on my Cannondale so it can shape itself to my ass a bit more)
Brave Stiffee handlebars.
Brave Serial Killah cranks.
DK Iron cross pedals.
Gusset bachelor chain tensioner.

First part of the ride was awesome, i wanted to run over everything in my path...:arf:
The second part at the beach wasn't that good due to the wrong gearing.
So back to the road it was for a bit more of fun.

When the build of the bike will enter it's final stage i will post more pics.

Attachments

·
mtbr member
80 Posts
Well done Rabies! Welcome to the club!
Great you were able to testdrive it! But no fun on the beach....mmmm....hope better gearing helps, as for me sand, snow and mud are most fun to drive with the Pug.
My legs are still too weak to cycle much, definitely no Pug for me yet, but I'll work on that, so you can finalize the last bits& pieces!
Enjoy the wonderful world of fatbik-ing ;-)

·
R.I.P. Pugsley.
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^What he said.^^

As soon as the wheel With the Rohllof hub is finished, i will be swapping forks to see how the original rigid one rides and feels.
Also it will be nice to have 2 brakes as well, becasue i still have to make up my mind on what discbrake i will be putting on the SC-32.

·
Ancient Astronaut
162 Posts
It's right there in his build list. Maverick SC-32 suspension device. ;)
Thanks Guitar Ted,

I will look it up, have you had any experience with this fork on a fatbike?

Two years ago the USFS had my two favorite fire roads "graded", and they also dug fairly deep ditches across the road surface, mostly at an angle, with the associated entry and exit berms.

I mark these spots with surveyor's tape before the snow, but I still get a few surprises with my FS bike.

I hope one of these will help.

Judging by the inverted design, these must have been developed specifically for the fatbikes and to minimize un-sprung weight, correct?

Are there others? I looked into the 29 r offerings, but had not heard about the SC32.

Thanks
PG

·
R.I.P. Pugsley.
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ BPT : Thanks !

@ constantijn.
I have to say that i prefer hydraulic brakes over mechanical ones, and i am thinking of
Magura Marta's or somthing like that.

@PG.
If you use the search function of the forum and look for Maverick SC-23 or DUC-32 you will find a metric ton of info on them.
And they are not build for fatbikes, but they just happen to have the clearance needed for the tires.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I will look it up, have you had any experience with this fork on a fatbike?

PG
Maverick SC-32's I have not ridden, but a good friend got one to put on a fat bike. I mentioned the torsional flex I had heard about regarding the SC-32, so he clamped a fat bike front wheel in one, and we bench tested it. I will say that it is easy to twist this fork. I have heard reports that it does manifest itself as flexy on trails as well, due to the bigger contact patch/more grip of a fat bike tire. On snow? Maybe this will not be an issue, but for someone your size/ maybe it would be.

After viewing what I saw first hand, I would not want to try a Maverick fork myself.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I saw BPT & Cons riding their pugs on Schoorl ánd then the movies by Coastkid - hooked! So I got one!
Coastkid should get a bonus from Surly everytime he makes somebody addicted ;-)
Yup, he's a dangerous Pug Pusher. Responsible for scores of addicts... :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.