Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of you El Corte regulars would like to know it looks like the MROS is finally willing to get off the stump and approve the placement of a plaque in rememberance of the lost souls of the tragic Resolution crash. This is the worst airline crash in San Mateo county history. Debris from the wreckage can still be seen along a segement of the resolution trail. Despite many blistering letters from advocates and even famly members of one of the victims, MROS resisted placing a plaque claiming it would compromise the environment. It seems local press has finally pressured them into doing the right thing. There will probably be a ceremony in '09 when this happens and maybe some of the mountain bike contingency can amke a showing when this comes about. I'll be there for sure. Here's a link to a website by the leading advocate http://flightoftheresolution.org Check out the "News" tab for the latest developements.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
Wow, I had no idea the history behind the crash, and that so many were killed. I thought it was just a small solo plane, or something. Thanks for the link and the info. I'm glad there will finally be some sort of memorial.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's great to see they've gotten it done. After I learned about the crash i thought it was errie gong through there with no acknowledgment of the lives lost. I too had misunderstood that it was a large plane..thought I had read it was a "small" plane.
Anyway, thanks for posting. Glad its happening.

-Kcavt

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
dsq said:
I dont see any plaques on any of the freeways i drive on.Every year hundreds of people die on the 101 freeway alone.
You have gotta be kidding - while driving 65 mph on the freeway, are you going to stop to read a plaque? People do erect mini-shrines where their loved ones have died along the roadside. And the wreckage from a freeway accident is removed, whereas the resolution trail still has wreckage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
People die every day,everywhere...I dont see plaques for them all over the place.We dont need to memorialize and document everything for posterity.More people die every month on the 101 than at that one site some 50yrs ago.Fifty years!!Come on,get over it.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
dsq - If you don't care, that's fine. But there's no need to be a jerk. You know that expression "If you don't have anything good to say..."
Harry:

I am curious if you have any insight as to where the son of the man who died in the crash would have liked to have had the plaque located. Was the goal of the surviving family member(s) to have the memorial located as close to the accident site as possible or in a spot away from the wreckage where the masses can see it?

Maybe there is a answer to this question some where else in the thread or other information piece, if so please direct me.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
dsq - If you don't care, that's fine. But there's no need to be a jerk. You know that expression "If you don't have anything good to say..."
wasnt trying to be a jerk....the point is we have enough reminders of the human footprint.First a plane crashes in the mtn and leaves its debris,then we have to memorialize it by placing markers etc...human encroachement is everywhere...Id rather things be left alone....

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
dsq said:
wasnt trying to be a jerk....the point is we have enough reminders of the human footprint.First a plane crashes in the mtn and leaves its debris,then we have to memorialize it by placing markers etc...human encroachement is everywhere...Id rather things be left alone....
Not to mention a plaque has nothing to do with Mid-Pen's mission statement which they use as a bludgeon to deny mountain access all the time.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
dsq,

Thanks for the reply. I see your point.

Traildoc,

I don't recall reading where a plaque might be placed. Given Mid-Pen doesn't want folks hiking off trail, I would think the plaque would go on the trail or at a trailhead or a bench nearby.

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Plaque will probably be at a trail head near Skyline tho I'd like to see it near that wreckage site on the resolutuion Trail.
Pretty sad that someone would object to a plaque honoring the memory of 19 people that were killed but to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Y'know, when you think about it, it is a very strange thing to do. I have to agree with dsq on this - why do we feel the need to memorialize some deaths and not others? Should we put up plaques in the hospitals for every person who dies there? (You'd run out of wall space in a hurry). Or are these memorials only for unexpected mass tragedies? If one person dies, shouldn't that count? What about the guy who died at China Camp when he fell off the trail? Does he get a plaque? What's the threshold for memorializing tragic deaths? A friend of mine is a pilot for Frontier and he used to have this morbid hobby of looking for the remnants of airplane crashes in Colorado. You'd be amazed at how many planes have crashed all over the place (especially in the mountains). And most of the time, there is nothing to commemorate the event except twisted metal disappearing into the earth.

Anyway, if it is that important to someone, what the heck - let them have a plaque. It might not make any sense, but then, neither does wearing matching spandex and riding road bikes when there are mountain bike trails near by.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Starkonian said:
The Plaque will probably be at a trail head near Skyline tho I'd like to see it near that wreckage site on the resolutuion Trail.
Pretty sad that someone would object to a plaque honoring the memory of 19 people that were killed but to each his own I guess.
So Stark if it was your dad who had died in this crash where would the most ideal place you would have liked to have the plaque placed for him? Would it be where the masses could see it or would it be somewhere else. I am still curious where Mr. Tischler would have liked the plaque to be placed?

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there a point to your question? If you're just asking my opinion I stated above where I'd like to see the plaque, at the debris field on the Resolution Trail. I have no idea where Mr. Tischler would like it placed.
Regarding the people killed along Hwy 101 there is no comparison. Those bodies are recovered and given a proper burial. I suspect bodies or at least body parts still remain unrecovered at El Corte. That's reason enough for plaque in my mind.
But, if anyone doesn't like the idea don't come to the ceremony and ignore the plaque, I could care less.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
traildoc said:
Harry:

I am curious if you have any insight as to where the son of the man who died in the crash would have liked to have had the plaque located. Was the goal of the surviving family member(s) to have the memorial located as close to the accident site as possible or in a spot away from the wreckage where the masses can see it?

Maybe there is a answer to this question some where else in the thread or other information piece, if so please direct me.

Thanks
Traildoc, the link that Starkonian provided a news article with a surviving family member's point of view about it: http://flightoftheresolution.org/news.html At least, it didn't sound like he had any concern over the plaque's placement here...

"GrantTischler, who had traveled from Australia in October to visit the site where his father, Bernard, had died in the crash, said the plaque's approval "means full closure for me." "I think about my father every day and I know he's up there smiling to think that everything has finally come full circle," he said by phone from Queensland. Perhaps more than anything, the news represents an exquisite vindication for O'Donnell, who has fought tirelessly to publicize the doomed British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines DC6 Flight 304 and those who lost their lives the morning of Oct. 29, 1953. In a congratulatory e-mail, Tischler, who goes by the nickname "Chips," was so moved by the payoff for O'Donnell's dedication that he was unable to complete his thoughts. "On behalf of myself and all the Tischler family, thank you so much," he wrote. "I'm going to close now because I'm getting emotional and the tears are starting to flow. Cheers for now MATE. Chips."

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
shredchic said:
Traildoc, the link that Starkonian provided a news article with a surviving family member's point of view about it: http://flightoftheresolution.org/news.html At least, it didn't sound like he had any concern over the plaque's placement here...

"GrantTischler, who had traveled from Australia in October to visit the site where his father, Bernard, had died in the crash, said the plaque's approval "means full closure for me." "I think about my father every day and I know he's up there smiling to think that everything has finally come full circle," he said by phone from Queensland. Perhaps more than anything, the news represents an exquisite vindication for O'Donnell, who has fought tirelessly to publicize the doomed British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines DC6 Flight 304 and those who lost their lives the morning of Oct. 29, 1953. In a congratulatory e-mail, Tischler, who goes by the nickname "Chips," was so moved by the payoff for O'Donnell's dedication that he was unable to complete his thoughts. "On behalf of myself and all the Tischler family, thank you so much," he wrote. "I'm going to close now because I'm getting emotional and the tears are starting to flow. Cheers for now MATE. Chips."
Hey Chic thanks for information. Nice to hear Chips is totally happy with the end result. I would hate to think anyone would go to their grave being upset with the land manager.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Starkonian said:
Is there a point to your question? If you're just asking my opinion I stated above where I'd like to see the plaque, at the debris field on the Resolution Trail. I have no idea where Mr. Tischler would like it placed.
Regarding the people killed along Hwy 101 there is no comparison. Those bodies are recovered and given a proper burial. I suspect bodies or at least body parts still remain unrecovered at El Corte. That's reason enough for plaque in my mind.
But, if anyone doesn't like the idea don't come to the ceremony and ignore the plaque, I could care less.
A more appropriate place, imho, would be the clearing above Resolution which was made by the bulldozers who plowed the trail to get into the area for the rescue effort. Nice views up there, and the clearing is the result of the crash. There's not enough room for it on the trail proper, and it would be disruptive, esp on those doing a descent.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Swell Guy said:
A more appropriate place, imho, would be the clearing above Resolution which was made by the bulldozers who plowed the trail to get into the area for the rescue effort. Nice views up there, and the clearing is the result of the crash. There's not enough room for it on the trail proper, and it would be disruptive, esp on those doing a descent.
Swell:

That would be a great place, but it's never going to happen, it's way to logical. Too many people would be attracted to that area, and that would put way more people out having a good time then what the land manager is looking for. Just think, if the plane had cleared that point they may have never crashed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.