Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Trance 1 on Jan 25th. Today, i received the bike! I was about time... I was getting desperate! I need to ride so bad! I only had my road bike to play with and the trails are getting dryier now in Quebec...

First, the bike is darker then what it looks like on the web. It's a great color no matter what... My co-worker made fun of me by saying it's the same color as last year's Warp bike...

The components are so high-class on that bike! But i hade to make some modifications!

So i first installed the blue Crank Brothers Candy SL pedals. Then, i took out the XT shifters and XTR derailleur and replaced it with X.9 trigger shifters and X.9 derailleur. I didn't have the tires i wanted but i'll either go with a set of Roll X 2bliss tires or the BUlldog in Tubeless version...

It's the only thing i'm not happy with the bike... Why put such expensive wheelset that are UST and simply put regular tires on? Would it be that hard for the bike to be tubeless ready? So right now i'm hesitating between tubeless sealant or just different tires anyway... I guess i have until Tuesday to figure it out! (My weekly ride is starting next week!).

Now, i didn't have my camera on hand but i'll take a few snaps tomorrow for sure!

So now, i have a few questions for future upgrades:

- Is it worth it to upgrade the brakes to Hayes El Camino?
- Would it make a difference if i where to install a carbon riser bar?
- Should i switch the grips because the ones on the bike don't seem that great...

What are your thoughts on that bike for those who tried it? Today i got to build up the bike and do the first setup on the shocks but i only did a parking lot ride...

I'll take some pics tomorrow...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congratulations!

Awesome!

I've ridden a Trance 1 and a Trance 2 around the parking lot. I'm very interested in these bikes, but I want to take one out on the trails. A local shop has a Trance 2 for demo, so when I can clear a Saturday for a good, long ride...

Get those pics posted when you get a chance. The Trance 1 is sweet. Also, I'd really like to read about your first ride impressions. Of course, I'm curious about the pedalling and geometry, but I'm also curious about the shifting of the SRAM, any ghost-shifting, handling, etc.

Enjoy,

Jim

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here are the first 3 pics i took at the shop this morning:

Full specs:

color Deep Blue
size 18"
fork Fox FRL, 100mm travel
shock Fox Float RP3
derailleur Front: Shimano XT derailleur SRAM X.9
shifters SRAM X.9
cassette Shimano XT 11-34T, 9 speed
cranks Race Face Deus LP X-Type 22/32/44
handlebar Race Face Deus XC low rise
stem Race Face Deus XC
headset FSA Orbit Z, ACB
brakes Hayes HFX-9 XC, hydraulic, 6" rotor
levers Hayes Carbon
saddle WTB Rocket V Stealth
seatpost Race Face Next SC Composite 350x30.9
rims Mavic CrossMax SL Disc
hubs Mavic CrossMax SL Disc
tires Hutchinson Bulldog UST, folding 26x2.1
spokes Mavic CrossMax SL
pedals Crank Brothers Candy SL

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Congrats on getting a great bike, I think you will really enjoy it. I'm enjoying the hell out of my Trance3 and up at 970 miles on it in under 3 months. The Maetsro design really does handle and work very good. My budget was either the Trance 3 or 2, but I went with the 3 since I would have had to wait about another 6 weeks ot get the T2 - I'll upgrade to better parts as they wear out. Let us know what you think of the ride.

If I had had the cash to afford a Trance1 I think I would have bought the frameset and bought the parts (exactly what I wanted) myself and built it up. Did you have the SRAM stuff around or did you buy them specifically for this bike?

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the pedals and the SRAM stuff over the winter while waiting for the bike.

I put my brakes up for sale to try and replace them with El Camino's but so far the carbon lever is so confortable... I'm not sure about switching...

Then the carbon bars would be sweet also... but not worth it... it would be a cosmetic upgrade more then a functionnal one!

Other then that, the bike is sweet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts