Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of tests and reading its down to the Fuel EX8 vs the Trance X1. They both feel good to me and I've been able to take them off road. I was leaning toward the TX but I had a chance to ride the EX8 again and not only did I like it but the LBS is having a special sale and it is $400 less than the TX. Here my take on both bikes;

- According to the LBS scales they are within ounces of each other weight wise.
- I would give a slight edge to the TX in climbing and a slight edge to the EX for descending.
- I think the EX is better looking but the TX's finish will last longer
- The EX in 18.5 fits slightly better, I'm in between the M / L in the TX
- I would give a slight edge to component group on the TX (I prefer the Hayes Stroker's to the Juicy 5's, the Race Face Evolve on the TX vs. the Bontrager stuff on the EX and although the Bontrager wheelset on the EX is tubeless I think the WTB / DT wheelset on the TX might be more durable)
- Both LBS are nice places, the Giant store is closer to my house (1 miles vs 5 miles) and I've done more business with the Giant store
- I usually don't buy new technology the first year it comes out, did anyone else have that concern with the Trek???

Well, that's about it. If they were the same price (or the Trek was more) I'd probably be picking up the TX right now. I'm wondering though if its worth $400 more.

Any input that can get me past the analysis paralysis would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love my EX9 and my wife loves her EX8. I can tell you from experience that I weigh 240# and I haven't trued my wheels at all since I bought my EX9 in November. I also had the same Bontrager wheels on my 05 Santa Cruz Blur and one weekend I broke a spoke and rode it about 40 miles with the broken spoke. For a wheel with 3 years of heavy abuse it was only slightly out of true even with a 2 mile downhill with top speeds approaching 40mph. I am a huge fan of Bontrager wheels and I really like the overall geometry of the Fuel ALOT!!!!!!! Hence....BYE BYE Blur.

·
Registered
151 Posts
PS: That weekend I had the broken spoke I was out of town about 2 hours from home. The wheel had stayed true for 3 years prior to that broken spoke. I like the Fuel and love the ABP and the balance of the bike is fantastic.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
If you were already leaning towards the TX then you had already decided which one is for you and all that's left for me to do is reassure you the full XT gearing and Race Face stuff, with the excellent Hayes Stroker's is all well worth the extra money, in fact the Stroker's and XT stuff is what I would personally upgrade the Fuel with later on. I haven't spent long enough on the Bontrager wheels to comment but the WTB rims are very solid and I've now got the D370 hubs on 2 bikes and they're perfect. As far as the finishing kit like bars, seat posts and stuff it all much better on the TX which all adds up to make the TX about a pound or so lighter.:thumbsup:

I personally don't like putting down a lot of money with a new shop I've never really tried before either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.