Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its decision time.

2010 Jet 9 (special inside deal) $850.00 with shock or Tallboy full price $2400.00. Niner really blows, but it is hard to justify $1600.00 more for a Chinese frame with 1 inch more travel. Regardless of manufacturer, I will destroy the thing in less then 2 years anyway. I am thinking Niner until my hip and back recovers, then stick with the 29er HT and Mojo for the ugly stuff. Option 2, become a roadie ;). Am I crazy?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tall boy. In 2 years you can sell it for the same amount, they are not losing value at all. niners however are a dime a dozen and can be found cheap for used bikes. my .02

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. Actually, I don't really like either bike, so I'm taking the Niner for $800.00 and riding it until something better comes along like the new line up from Ventana or an IBIS Mojo 29er. I would take the Salsa Spearfish over the TB any day as well. Maybe we'll even see something from Max Commencal this year. I just can't justify paying $2400.00 for a pogo stick with a low BB

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
good call.

I have had three Niners. I bought one of the original Jet 9s used from craigslist. When Niner recalled the Jet 9 I got a Rip 9 for free. Niner isn't as great as they think they are, but they also aren't as bad as everyone says. The third Niner was an Air 9 that was light and fast. Also I got my money back when I sold the Rip.

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Since both bikes are priced at what they are actually worth, you made a good financial decision.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
MTBNate said:
Since both bikes are priced at what they are actually worth, you made a good financial decision.
Not to start a "discussion" with Nate, ;) but I think the Tallboy is over priced. I mean yeah, it's from "The Syndicate" and it's carbon and everyone seems to love it, but is the frame actually worth $2500 and would you ever get that money back out of it? I don't think so!

If you're just gonna dabble with a FS 29er I think you did the right thing. Don't spend too much and see how the market progresses. I actually think the Pivot 429 is getting pretty close to spot on for a 4" 29er... BB Height seems right and it handles well. Now if they would just make it out of Ti then I could justify spending $2500 on THAT frame. ;)

It's also gonna be interesting to see how 650b progresses. I agree it's still a niche at this point, but there is a following beginning that looks a lot like what the early years of the 29er fad looked like.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Carbon

You can't fix Ti or Al like you can fix carbon :D

In the first pic I used MS paint to outline the crack so you could see it. I cracked the SJ when I crashed and the bike flew over me and smacked rock that had a 90deg edge.

No cracks on the TB - love this bike....

Attachments

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Tallboy priced at $2400.00 seems way overpriced for a Chinese mass produced carbon frame. Lenz can make me a custom Moth for $2100.00. The Pivot 429 is also a bit pricey, albeit one of the better suspension designs and bikes. I don't feel like the FS 29er scene is fully matured like their 26er cousins. If I could find a good price on 2010 429 then I would probably grab it

Funny Da Goat mentions 650b. I rode a Cannondale fitted with 650's and it felt spot on. It would be great to see more action from the 650 group, but I think the scene maybe dying. I could try the 650's on my Mojo.

My first 29er was an Air 9 and it did indeed fail, but lasted almost 2 years. The ride and geo was great, I just don't like the company. Too many folks have gotten burned and their racer with that crazy facial hair "Fuzzy" makes me want to grab a mower. The big issue is that Niner has tried to be ahead of the game through innovation and released bikes that weren't well tested and rushed new designs into production. In the end it really bit them hard. Then there are the Niner Fanboys running around raving about the bikes as if they are greatest thing to happen to mountain biking. I agree, they are not the best and not the worst. More like sub-par or average.

What bothers me the most about the Tallboy is the name. Do I really want to be riding a Tallboy? Names like "Superfly" and "Mojo" just have a better ring. :)

·
Banned
123 Posts
I know plenty of happy SpecialEd 29r full squish riders/racers.

Good bikes at a decent price point for the most part.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Falls Apart

DaGoat said:
Not to start a "discussion" with Nate, ;) but I think the Tallboy is over priced. I mean yeah, it's from "The Syndicate" and it's carbon and everyone seems to love it, but is the frame actually worth $2500 and would you ever get that money back out of it? I don't think so!
I think that quote right there tells a lot about you and you're preference in bikes. I have never gotten anything out of a frame except thousands (or tens of thousands) of miles.

I thought about selling my Specialized Epic once and started writing the text for the ad.

"FS, 03 Epic. Ridden hard, put away wet for 5 years. Anything that moves on it has been replaced 2 or 3 times, including the fork. Only ridden on 5-6 weekends each at Pajarito, Portes du Soleil, Saalbach, etc. The rest of the week on tame trails like Guaje ridge, east mountains or Tunnel/Otero. Never jumped off of anything larger than 4' without a transition."

It looks much prettier hanging in my garage then it would under some ham-fisted dirt roadie. They wouldn't t know how to treat a bike like that.

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
True, maybe I should checkout out Specialized. Don't really have a positive or neg opinion about them. They also have 29er Expert with gobs of travel.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
notaknob said:
I think that quote right there tells a lot about you...
No doubt Bruce... I buy low and sell high... ;)

That 03 Epic is a classic... Sandra has had her's for probably 5-6 years and she's never had the shock rebuilt. Bomb proof!

I've probably been through 6 bikes in the last three years. Always dabbling and seeing what things are like. Gives me a good perspective.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Can anybody quantify this "niner sucks" opinion? I have been looking hard at them and have not read very many negative things about them.

What exactly sucks about niner, and either the Jet or Rip 9?

·
Victim of Saddle Rage
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
warimono said:
Can anybody quantify this "niner sucks" opinion? I have been looking hard at them and have not read very many negative things about them.

What exactly sucks about niner, and either the Jet or Rip 9?

1. It's some or many of the people that ride them.
2. Failure to test a design prototype before final production
3. Failure to honor a warranty
4. Excessive marketing hype producing more hot air than the balloon festival
5. The NM folks in this forum love to bash Niner and Turner because it is not only fun but easy.
6. Extreme brand loyalty that equates to colt status.

If you can get a Niner cheap, then they are good bikes. Ride them until they crack or you get bored and then you can afford something else. All joking a side, my Air 9 was actually a great riding biking with excellent handling characteristics. For $500.00, why not? For retail $850+, there are better options

·
Registered
156 Posts
seriously? You hate a company because of the people that ride their bikes? I happen to have a couple of Niners and I am wondering what your problem is with me? As an example, I like Audis because I think they are well made and drive nice, I don't intend on going to car shows, I just want to drive a nice car. I am looking at their webpage, it looks like they do a lot of testing. Do you have personal experience with the specific testing Niner does? I work for a company that also sells product globally and to sell in Europe you have to go through a lot of testing to pass standards and it seems like they sell in Europe...

I'm not trying to be mean, I am just wondering if you have any data to back up your broad claims.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts