Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All thats left is the choice of crank, here goes:

• Bike is being built for xc / marathon racing
  • I weight 77kgs and stand at 5ft 7"
  • money is not an issue if its the right one
  • bike is currently 'shimano free'

Ive been looking at Tune, Middleburn, RF etc. basically i want a light robust set - im moving away from carbon as i just couldnt handle it if i took a big chunk out of an arm..

All suggestions / pointers gratefully recieved

·
1,802 Posts
The Middleburn's are incredible cranks for what you will be using the bike for. I ran a set of RF Deus's on mine and they were perfect. I really like the external bb's (even if they don't spin quite as smooth) due to ease of setup and you can actually do trailside maintenance if you have to.

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
2007/2008 XTR - it's one of 2 Shimano parts on my bike because they work well.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
xtr or deus w/ a bearing upgrade cuz the stock stuff kinda sux. shimano shifting will be a bit better due to a higher quality ring profile.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I'm no big Shimano fan, but the XT crank is a brilliant piece of bicycle hardware. We have them on just about every bike now. You could save some grams with the XTR. I just (mostly) refuse to run Isis anymore. Middleburn needs to license the Octalink interface.

·
Ultimate Poseur
393 Posts
FSA Afterburners might be an option if you want to be Shimano "free". Just a bit heavier than the 06/07 XT HTII's. I like 'em. I put enduro bearings in mine.

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
d.ten said:
anyone running FSA K-forece mega exo's????
had them on my RFX until the pedal insert broke free from the carbon. Should be ok for Flux use, however. FSA did replace both arms too.

I used the deuce too. They sucked all around. Crappy retension method, crappy bearings and not the stiffest crank either.

I still vote XTR

·
Registered
781 Posts
Go with XT or if money is no problem XTR. My K-Force also failed at the pedal inserts - I guess if you plan to ride XC only and weight 65kg you'll be fine. On the otherhand you gain nothing over XT with the exception of bling. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
perhaps I'm mistaken but I don't think he wants shimano on the bike....I'm building a flux too. I was looking at the Tune cranks from poshbikes. Really want to run a Phil Wood BB and square taper cranks don't seem the easiest to find.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, thanks guys, settled for an 08 raceface deus with phil wood bearings...Chad atRed Barn hooked me up with these, what a guy, came through yet again....

After speaking to many on the UK Singletrack forum about Tune there was an overwhelming opinion that while looking the biz they mostly felt let down by the cranks...many experienced constant loosening of the crank arms and 2 guys even had to drill out the fastfoot cranks as the sixpack BB seazed!!...not good on almost a $700 setup..... but its always those who have had problems that shout loudest

Got Atlas on the Spot and must admit have not had any issues with them for 21/2 years (did strip the BB and regrease initially though), so thought id try the new Deus...thats it, the build is near completion.....

once crank arrives and i have 5 hours spare to set up the Nokons i'll post a pic....summer marathons events here we come......

Oh, i'll also post some pics of the 'Strathpuffer' scottish winter 24hr after next weekend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts