Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Person
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use Filzer tools from MEC? Are they worth buying, or should I expect them to break/wear-out the 1st I use them?

Mainly looking for cone wrenches that will rarely get used (don't like repacking hubs, but I feel it should be done every 5 years or so;) )

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
I've had good luck with all the ones I've bought so far (headset wrenches and BB tool) but I'm a home mechanic. I'm sure the pros will have their own opinion. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought them a few months ago and have not been impressed. One of the wrenches are striped as the metal is quite soft and the free wheel tool keeps breaking links. I am a home mechanic and am wishing I spent the extra cash on the Park tools instead.

·
Person
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying a double-end cone wrench, looks good enough to be used once every 5 years! Wanted to get a spoke wrench as well, but they looked terrible. Will be spending a few more $$ to get a Park one.

Also bought the $5 MEC brand chain cleaner, as I hate cleaning chains. It works pretty well, $5 in degreaser should last me the year. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dont be fooled by a Brand name . Yes park has the industry name for bike tools , but some of the other brand are fractions of the cost and work exactly the same . We live in a world were brand name sometimes overrules common sense .
Ive had Park tools brake on me and other like Filzer , sette , and pedros work flawlessly .
Not all tools are created equal , just inspect before you buy . Look for things like were are the tools made , are they stamped cut or cast tools , feel the weight of it compared to the other models . My tool box is a mix of all brands . And in the jusk box sits two park BB wrenches that have snaped and some cheap ass chain tool with " no name " . I now own a park chain tool and works great .
Dont forget MEC has a great return policy .

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got the MEC recommended Filzer chain tool at MEC, and had a very experienced bike rider buddy show me how to use it on a small section of chain. It promptly bent the primary tooth, which subsequently snapped off when tested by my finger. Needless to say, I'll be testing the return policy at MEC. So much for Filzer.

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
The Filzer chain tool is reportedly a POS. I have the Park one, but my chain was so bad, I decided to take a Dremel tool with a small wire brush to it first. Came out pretty good, considering how rusty is was before I started. The chain isn't stretched, so I've flipped it over with the intention of getting another season or two out of it. Can't say the same for my middle ring, which is toast.

Taking you bike apart to clean and inspect can be expensive, even when you do it yourself. I should have left it dirty and been none the wiser.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a Filzer tool kit for a bike recycling project I work on regularly. I prefer to bring my own tools (mostly Park). Filzer is ok, Park is better.

My best chain tool is a no name I bought with my first 10 speed about 30 years ago. My best tire irons are also no names from the same time period.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you're willing to buy online, Pricepoint's in-house brand 'Sette' makes pretty solid tools. Last year I spent $45 (USD, plus shipping) for a tool set and I've been VERY impressed with it, great quality and tons of bang for your buck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.