Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, stealing an idea from a few of you, I've created an attachment with my current "wanted list". If you guys see or have leads on any of these, please PM or e-mail me ([email protected]).

Here's the list in detail and in order of desireability from highest to not-quite-as-highest:

1. A 1987 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue. I'm looking for the smaller sized frame or complete bike. This was the lugged, Prestige, hand-made in Japan model (see pic below and my new avatar). Threw many a newspaper and built many a window screen to afford one of these back in the day:

2. A 1986 Nishiki Cascade. The aqua colored bike with bull-moose bars and seatstay-mounted rollercam brakes. I broke my frame clean off at the down-tube and they replaced it with a white Cyclepro. Again, 18" or smaller. Note triple-pulley rear derailleur, chrome replacement forks, Jandd shoulder pad pack and SPD moonboots:

3. A 1986 to 1988 Fisher Mt. Tam or Competition. The fillet-brazed Tom Teesdale version. In 1996 I sold an '87 green and yellow Mt. Tam frameset I had Tom fully-restore and paint using all the original Fisher decals. He even added rollercam mounts to the forks and fillet-brazed the bosses. It included a fillet-brazed Rhino stem. Still kicking myself for that one. Don't even have a picture:(

4. An NOS Shimano XTR 1" headset. Seams like it would be easy, but this one has evaded me for awhile.

5. An NOS WTB SST XR saddle in black. They don't make 'em anymore, mine's ripping to shreds, the only ones on eBay are red and yellow, and by butt loves the shape.

Help me, VRC forum--you're my only hope!

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Did you notice the guy that found the Shogun in the garbage? The post is from fairly recently. I dig the older Shoguns, the one in your avatar and the purple/pink/chrome model.

The Fisher is a small one. The fall and dent was a complete heartbraker. I picked the frame up from First Flight Bikes and had it sent to be painted. The original plan was to get a long rasta fade, a la Ibis. The paint shop did a crappy job and I had to send it back. Got this cool dark metallic blue color and amassed the build. I went with an older build than is proper, including the faded ano aluminium bullmoose. Anyway, the bike fell over and got the dent you see plus two other smaller dents. I am figuring a repaint and repair will be at least $200 so the bike has moved to the end of the project queue.

Fisher's come up fairly regularly, and aren't "in demand" so they go cheap. Mine is an exception due to all the problems I have had with it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bushpig said:
Did you notice the guy that found the Shogun in the garbage? The post is from fairly recently. I dig the older Shoguns, the one in your avatar and the purple/pink/chrome model.

The Fisher is a small one. The fall and dent was a complete heartbraker. I picked the frame up from First Flight Bikes and had it sent to be painted. The original plan was to get a long rasta fade, a la Ibis. The paint shop did a crappy job and I had to send it back. Got this cool dark metallic blue color and amassed the build. I went with an older build than is proper, including the faded ano aluminium bullmoose. Anyway, the bike fell over and got the dent you see plus two other smaller dents. I am figuring a repaint and repair will be at least $200 so the bike has moved to the end of the project queue.

Fisher's come up fairly regularly, and aren't "in demand" so they go cheap. Mine is an exception due to all the problems I have had with it.

I did see that Shogun thread. I actually had that '88 model when I cracked my '87 frame. The '88 was then stolen about 2 weeks later. I did aquire another '88 on eBay a few years ago, but it was too big so I used the XT parts for a Ritchey build-up. Still, the '88's were TIG welded which was no where near as cool as the lugged '87 models. Plus that '87 paint scheme! Here's the '88 I used for parts:

So, umm, what size is that Mt. Tam?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bushpig said:
The Mt Tam is a 17".

I really like the chrome on the Shogun bikes. One day I need to get myself one of those.
17"--that's my size!

That '88 Shogun frame had less than 100 miles on it. I sold the frame, fork and T-bone stem on eBay a few years ago for like $150. Of course I bought the entire bike a month earlier for $100, but it was a poorly written auction. Nothing like getting paid $50 for a near-new XT group with wheels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.