Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm organizing or re-organizing my workshop area, and need some ideas for storage of files (looking for pictures). Currently, I keep them in drawers in my toolbox. I'm just looking for some ideas for different ways to store them, especially the ones that I use on a somewhat regular basis. Just wanted to see what others out there are doing to see if there is a way that I like better than my current system.

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
If you're leaving them in a drawer...

Where they can bang into each other and other tools, I like to use old Thomson seatpost bags (which, if you build a lot of bikes, tend to accumulate). They are the perfect size/shape and durable enough to protect the files from each other. Easy to get them out, too.

I hang frequently used ones on my pegboard.

-Walt

Francis Buxton said:
I'm organizing or re-organizing my workshop area, and need some ideas for storage of files (looking for pictures). Currently, I keep them in drawers in my toolbox. I'm just looking for some ideas for different ways to store them, especially the ones that I use on a somewhat regular basis. Just wanted to see what others out there are doing to see if there is a way that I like better than my current system.

thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
I wish I had a picture of what I just did. I'll take one some time over the next few days but I'm really happy with it.

It's essentially an MDF separator that allows me to put them right next to the vice. I also built a couple of little shelves for my tube blocks--again, next to the vice.

As far as the other kind of files, I've got a small filing cabinet in the garage with all my different sandpaper in one drawer filed in dividers and labeled by type and increasing grit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
When I was in the army, the motor pool mechanics had a single tool box that everything got dumped into. We came up with a pretty good way to store the files in that box. The cheapest, easiest way to store and protect metal files was to take a manila paper file folder, roll it up at an angle, tape it with masking tape into a slightly tapered tube. Mark it with a felt tip pen, dump the file into the box. When they wore out, make a new one (generally for the next upcoming tool inspection... ) Its cheap, easy and protects the files from damage.

They are called manila file folders, right?

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I occasionally sleep with one under my pillow (I alternate between a 12" half-round and a rod of low-fuming bronze), I have been leaning toward a method similar to Dave's. I want to keep a certain number that I use on a regular basis out, with the rest in the tool box. I spread them out on the pad in the drawer so they don't touch each other, or I separate them with a cloth, but I'd like to free up a drawer for more tools if I can. I think I have a good idea now. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've made individual sleeves for mine out of dead inner tube sections, with one end glued shut. Edit, and they all go in a cardboard box.

Related question - do any of you oil your files? Is this a good idea? Bad idea?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts