Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new MTbiker and I'm looking for a good system for fighting flats. One thing that seems to come up around flats is going tubeless. Can someone explain how tubeless works better against flats?

I would like to use up the standard tires and tubes that came with my 575 so should I try Slime in the tubes or some other brand of goop. I thought I read you can use Stan's in the tubes too? What about tire liners?

·
Registered
79 Posts
snakes and goats

SkaredShtles said:
What kind of flats are you having? Snakebites? Thorns? Solutions depend on what you're having...
I get problems with both snakebites and goatheads. I run ultralight tubes in std tires on crossmax tubeless rims. I weigh a buck sixty and like X/C, do some medium sized drops but like light wheels for acceleration. Anybody got any advice for me? I have read that stans combined with light tube tires and no tubes is a good thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I haven't had any flats yet but I've only ridden the bike a couple of times and only got it off road last weekend. When you say snakebites do you really mean snakes can bite your tire? LOL Is that something that really happens?

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
geeride7 said:
I get problems with both snakebites and goatheads. I run ultralight tubes in std tires on crossmax tubeless rims. I weigh a buck sixty and like X/C, do some medium sized drops but like light wheels for acceleration. Anybody got any advice for me? I have read that stans combined with light tube tires and no tubes is a good thing.
If you already have the rims then why aren't you running tubeless? Just trying to save $$ on tires?

If you started running tubeless and tossed in some Stans then you'd eliminate snakebites and get good leak protection from punctures.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
SlamMan said:
Actually I haven't had any flats yet but I've only ridden the bike a couple of times and only got it off road last weekend.
Umm.. so you're posting about problems you don't actually have?

SlamMan said:
When you say snakebites do you really mean snakes can bite your tire? LOL Is that something that really happens?
No, a snakebite is when your tube gets a small cut from being pinched in between your tire and rim from an impact. Often means you need to run more air pressure.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,454 Posts
geeride7 said:
Don't ride through goatheads. That's the only advice I can give on that front. Those things are the work of the DEVIL. :madman:

Snakebites - is it mostly in the rear? If so, I'd recommend running a tubeless tire back there. That's what I did and have had no problems with pinch flats since.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
To prevent flats, intimidation seems to work best. Growling, cursing, and in some cases, violence usually shows your tires who's boss. Try that and see if it helps.

·
Armchair Sasquatcheror
310 Posts
Dh tubes + DH tires = happy

Don't even waste your time with tubeless if you are an aggressive rider. This is from my experience as well as many others I know. I have run nothing but 2 ply DH tires with a light duty DH tube for the last 3 years. I ride very aggressively and I am happy with this set up. Living in the front range, you are asking for trouble running anything else. If you do decide to go tubeless, always, always carry an extra tube and pump.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Get rid of the ultra light tubes and pump up your tires extra 10psi. If goathead persist, get some tires with thicker (heavier) casing. This is not Arizona, you don't have to run sealant.

_MK

·
Registered
79 Posts
Panaracer Fire X/C Pro Kevlar with Stans?

thump said:
If you already have the rims then why aren't you running tubeless? Just trying to save $$ on tires?

If you started running tubeless and tossed in some Stans then you'd eliminate snakebites and get good leak protection from punctures.
I'm trying to save weight. I've really noticed the difference with the Crossmax SL I put on my bike, and don't want to give it all back with heavier tires.

Along that note, any recommendations for a light tube tire with stans and no tube? Panaracer Fire X/C Kevlar Pro have decent traction and weight 590g in 26x2.1 size. They don't show up on stan's "recommended" or "not recommended" list, though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Don't ride through goatheads. That's the only advice I can give on that front. Those things are the work of the DEVIL. :madman:

Snakebites - is it mostly in the rear? If so, I'd recommend running a tubeless tire back there. That's what I did and have had no problems with pinch flats since.
True, Skared: The glossary in Watch Network's Be Aware! handbook defines "goathead" as "The Horned God, Goat of Mendes, Baphomet, God of the Witches, the scapegoat. They are not only the work of the devil, but the devil's sign. :madmax:

I like your idea about no tube in the back. Think I'll try it with a lighter tube tire and see how that works out, then go from there. :thumbsup:

·
enlightened.
1,494 Posts
geeride7 said:
I'm trying to save weight. I've really noticed the difference with the Crossmax SL I put on my bike, and don't want to give it all back with heavier tires.

Along that note, any recommendations for a light tube tire with stans and no tube? Panaracer Fire X/C Kevlar Pro have decent traction and weight 590g in 26x2.1 size. They don't show up on stan's "recommended" or "not recommended" list, though.
I'd try that weight weenies forum. It seems most on the FR forum run 2.5 or above. I used to run 2.0s but that was before I learned that fat tires are frikken awesome.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Fat tires help my dentures stay in.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,454 Posts
Seriously, though:

XC Pro (590g) + ultralight tube (125g) = 715g
XC Pro UST = 778g

Is losing the snakebites worth 2-1/2 oz?

I personally hate snakebites and am making the sacrifice. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.