728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
high - hitting the road

Friday morning we loaded up FRC's 1991 Honda Accord Wagon with 4 bikes
1. Seven Sola
2. Titus Racer-X
3. Seven Duo
4. Black Sheep Rigid SS

hmmm.....$20,000+ worth of bikes on a $1500 car ('91 Honda Accord Wagon with 276,000miles)

We start off ~10:30 - hoping for a 2:30 arrival to hit the Mary's area for a couple hours of riding then dinner with the crew @ Fiesta Guadalajara @ 7:30.

low - uh oh - what's that sound?

Just past Vail Pass the car started making a "funny" noise. We pulled over in Avon determined the engine was toast. FRC is super bummed about the car (he loves that wagon) and the fact he just spent $400 putting new tires on it. Luckily were able to rent a mini-van @ the Eagle Airport. 3.5 hours later we were back on our way. What a way to start a weekend. :(

high - Dodge Caravan stow&go rocks

easily fit in 4 bikes and our gear in the back

high - supper time! we make to Fruita in time for dinner! We had a crew of 13 people and got to meet MTBRers Chucky and JMH. Chucky had on the coolest skirt - i forgot to get a pic.

supper time

high - Saturday riding in GJ
4 of us signed up for a 10am ride for the Holy Cross at the ride board on Friday night.

edemtbs and jenamin had left @ midnight(!) to do a 50mile out and 50 mile back on the Koko trail.

the rest of the my crew headed out for some Marys action.

We meet @ OTE in GJ and the ride leader, Paul tells us about the ride. A nice singletrack climb up Pet-a-kes and to a fun technical trail of Holy Cross.

Paul did look at me funny when i said i was on my rigid SS. he goes "holy cross is a double black". I'm doing pretty well on technical descents on the rigid so i figured i'd be ok riding the hard parts and i'm not too proud to walk either!

Pet-a-kes was a blast - perfect for my 32x18 gearing. Holy Cross was super fun - I did ride a lot of it - but walked most of the slot canyon part as gears would have been nice for the short steep ups. Plus i'm struggling with technical climbing on the rigid.

no pics of the ride as we were to busy. ;)

high - Clunker Crit
This is always a blast!

the usual suspects

Screampint had an "extra" tandem. Isabelle and Screampint jump on and do several of the races.

Screampint throwing the victory sign!(if you look closely you can see Screampint and Isabelle wearing different shoes - the deal was to change a piece of clothing with your partner. Isabelle immediately took of her shirt to trade w/Screampint - then they decided to trade left shoes instead. ;) )

FRC and I decide to borrow the tandem for the last race. All i can say is hauling @$$ on a wobblely tandem w/coaster brakes is scary!

high - 18 road

After the clunker crit and a nap - we headed over to 18 road for some fast, fun swoopy action.

Isabelle on Kessler

high - dinner with friends

One of our crew made us a veggie pasta dinner. Good food, good wine/beer and good friends. again - no pics as i was busy eating and talking.

high - Mary's
Sunday morning came too quickly. 3 of us head to Mary's. edemtbs and jenamin head to meet some MTBRers @ GJ to ride the Ribbon, and the rest head to 18 road. We all have to get in 1 last ride before we have to head home.

FRC descending the entrance to Horsethief - he stopped before the last big drop. thankfully as i was getting nervous just watching.

here i am giving it a go (yes - I cleaned that drop in the foreground) I was stoked i rode it as I was on the rigid. the poor geared FS never got out of the car!

low - saying buh-bye
the crew (pic borrowed from edemtbs picasa pic site - thanks ed!)

the end

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Great pix & write up Cyn!

Man am I jealous.... looks superb - trails, riding, and company. *sigh*

Had a car-mania weekend though, where we bought a shiny new Subaru, and I got our old Corvair off the blocks (clutch, diff, carbs, shifter & clutch linkages, and a whole lot more needed work...) and running again though - even if it'll take a little more adjusting to get reverse gear to actually engage :D.

Hmm. Working on the car - or riding Fruita. working or riding. dammit! Clearly there's something wrong here!

Best,

glen

·
Basura Blanca
1,793 Posts
Great trip report! That's a good crew you've got there, and I'm glad the vehicle issues didn't cause you to have to scrub the trip. You're right about that stow&go feature. I've already told NuMexDonna I'm borrowing her not-so-minivan for a road trip this Fall. Thanks for sharing the pics,
- Joe

·
2,856 Posts
A few more...

Good times for sure, thanks for organizing it BRG!!

Ed E

1) jenamin night riding Koko.

2) La Sals in early morning light.

3) This guy went BIG on some drops, this is nuthin'.

4) Lot's of this.

5) And why the desert is so nice, hidden treasure!

More posted here....linky.

Attachments

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
More Clunker fun!

What a blast. Too bad about the car, but it looks like it was soooo worth it.

If the nice bystander who saved my camera from getting a jelly-donut bath is seeing this-thanks for the save! Some clunker pix...

1 Hans heading for the finish line.
2 The clothes exchange, the PG version
3 The thrill of...uh, something
4 Eating a burrito before the crit=bad idea

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
glenzx said:
I got our old Corvair off the blocks (clutch, diff, carbs, shifter & clutch linkages, and a whole lot more needed work...) and running again though - even if it'll take a little more adjusting to get reverse gear to actually engage :D.
You've got a corvair? I had the breif pleasure of riding in a convertable once, and loved it. Uber-unique.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
What a blast. Too bad about the car, but it looks like it was soooo worth it.

If the nice bystander who saved my camera from getting a jelly-donut bath is seeing this-thanks for the save! Some clunker pix...

1 Hans heading for the finish line.
2 The clothes exchange, the PG version
3 The thrill of...uh, something
4 Eating a burrito before the crit=bad idea
\

Nice pix...if I could only get past the watermarks....damn that kinda ruins the fun.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Debaser said:
You've got a corvair? I had the breif pleasure of riding in a convertable once, and loved it. Uber-unique.
Yup! '65 Convertible. Used to be my wifes daily driver back east - but when the clutch went we sort of kept puting it off... house renovation, baby, riding/racing, and an alternate car that had A/C!

But man - those summer evenings or fall days - that car is super. Drives great - peppy and handles well with a slight oversteer (that rear engine thang) that once accounted for makes accelerating out of corners snappy!

Fresh off the blocks (new Subie in background too):

Attachments

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I can play too...Fruita has some nice terrain.

BTW, thank you Cynthia...sorry to hijack your thread with my spam. I really like the blue haired dudes with that funky tandem.

PS: I see mtbdirteater is online viewing after my post....pfffffffffft

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
lidarman said:
\

Nice pix...if I could only get past the watermarks....damn that kinda ruins the fun.
We've been pretty swamped since we got back, had fun, but back to work. When we get some time, I'm sure Dan, me or both will post some FFTF pics that we didn't just quickly yank from our own website, but like I say, been swamped. More, and non-automated workflow pics to come later I'm sure, when we get time.

Glad you liked Dan's pics anyway, Rich.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
lidarman said:
PS: I see mtbdirteater is online viewing after my post....pfffffffffft
Apparently, you're not the only one who reads your own posts. :p

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
mtbdirteater said:
we didn't just quickly yank from our own website,
I quickly yanked up mine too...Photoshop rules doesn't it?

Quit justifying yourself already, especially since you were not the one who posted the original pix. But wow, are you quick to check out the results.

I should blame you for my hijacking of cynthia's thread...but sorry Cynthia...I can't let Dave slide. I'm compulsive.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
glenzx said:
Yup! '65 Convertible....

Fresh off the blocks (new Subie in background too):
Yo, Glen!

Sweet Corvair convertible. I always wanted to get one and rod it out. Sold my '56 Belair last year. Tough one to let go.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
glenzx said:
Great pix & write up Cyn!
thanks!

glenzx said:
Man am I jealous.... looks superb - trails, riding, and company. *sigh*
we would have enjoyed your company

glenzx said:
Hmm. Working on the car - or riding Fruita. working or riding. dammit! Clearly there's something wrong here!
with out a doubt.

maybe i'll see you @ nathrop. I bet you'll rip it up on the 4x course when you dust off those BMX skilz ;)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts