Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started the search for a new bike for my soon to be 11yr daughter. She's 4'11 and 65lbs. The bike will be for her birthday in a few months and I'm sure by then she'll be pushing 5ft. As others have posted before, there aren't a lot of good + affordable options for a kid at this stage. All the FS bikes are either too heavy (I'd like to keep it under 30lbs) or too expensive for what I can spend on my kids bike at this time. I want to keep it between 1-2k. After a ton of searching I've kinda narrowed it down to the Specialized Fuse or Fezzari Wasatch Peak.
Does anyone have any experience putting their kid on one of these? I've heard the Fuse tends to have a long reach. Unfortunately, there's no way to get her on one of these bikes in the future without ordering and waiting for it to arrive. I'd be open to other bike suggestions as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry, no direct experience with the bikes- just staring at numbers on paper.

You are probably thinking about the seated 'reach' to the bars? Not the frame geometry 'reach' value, correct?

Seated 'reach' is more a function of the 'effective top tube length' of the frame (which depends on the Seat Tube Angle). On that basis, the Fuse is indeed longer than the WP. (This is also reflected in the seat tube angles: a slightly more modern 75 for the WP versus a slightly slacker 74 for the Fuse.)

Seated 'reach' can be somewhat tweaked by sliding the seat as far forward in the seatpost as possible. Using a seatpost with forward offset (9point8 fall-line-R with 'forehead' clamp) provides a more dramatic change (25mm forward offset for the fall-line-R that my boy uses).

Something worrisome about the WP is the long Seat Tube length. If you are planning on using a dropper post (which I highly recommend) you might not be able to get much drop.

Just on that basis, I would lean more towards the Fuse and plan to adjust the seating position using the 9point8 forehead option if needed

As a point of reference, my 11y/o boy is 4'10" with normal proportions. He rides a bike with 410mm reach (30mm stem), 565mm stack (w/20mm riser bar and 10mm spacers under stem - could probably use another 10-20mm soon), 545mm effective top tube length, 355mm seat tube length (w/120mm dropper), 76.6 effective seat tube angle. If it was to be his bike, I would be looking at the small Fuse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I'm definitely planning on a dropper and hadn't even considered the min dropper height on the Wasatch Peak thanks for pointing that out. After running through some more geo numbers in a hardtail thread I think I may end up grabbing a used budget HT and then upgrading parts to get where I need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.