Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

361 - 380 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
50 hour maintenance? That’s like once every 6-8 weeks, right (depending on how often and how far you ride)?

I’ve been riding a hard tail since I got back into riding and I’ve never had a full suspension bike.

I’m looking at getting a Fezzari at some point (probably Abajo or Signal). I had no idea they require that much maintenance. I guess I’d better start reading up on how do that stuff myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The service interval requirements are not Fezzari specific, they're fox suspension specific. If you have fox suspension on any brand bike it will have the same timeline. I'm not familiar with rockshox suspension and how often that needs care, but I'm sure it's pretty similar. As with any high performance equipment, the service life is small!

·
Registered
132 Posts
The service interval requirements are not Fezzari specific, they're fox suspension specific. If you have fox suspension on any brand bike it will have the same timeline. I'm not familiar with rockshox suspension and how often that needs care, but I'm sure it's pretty similar. As with any high performance equipment, the service life is small!
Any good videos you recommend that show how to do the service?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Coil shock compatibility?

Can I get the hive mind to weigh in on which coil shocks do and don't work?

I'll start. I had the unpleasant experience this morning of learning that my new Marzocchi Z1 coil only fits in the high position and only with the reservoir closest to the rear tire. This ain't great, because my preferred setup is in low mode.

Looking through this conversation it appears the MRP Hazzard and DVO Jade X both fit in low mode. The Cane Creek DB IL coil only fits in the high mode with grooves ground into the retainer and some of the coil ground away (which means that for most of us the DB IL coil doesn't fit at all). This is a real bummer, because the DB IL was going to be my fallback option after the Z1 failed to fit in the low mode. I'm now leaning towards the Jade X.

But back to my initial question. Which coil shocks have folks tried that worked? Which coil shocks did not? I'm most interested in experiences in the low mode, but I'll take any insights I can get.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The shock works and fits well but they are hard to come by like most bike parts these days. I always run the bike in the low setting and the shock only fits as shown in my photo. I spoke to DVO about the tune for a La Sal Peak and he said the standard tune is well suited to this bike and wont need any custom tuning. They recommended a spring rate that seemed a bit light for my weight but ended up being perfect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Super Deluxe fits fine , seems better then a Hazzard , or a standard marzoochi. Previous owner notched something to make the Hazzard fit . He didn't care for the Hazzard, said the Marzoochi and then avalanched the Marzoochi and said it was by far the best. I've run an X2 and a Superdeluxe ultimate Coil . Super deluxe was FAR better all the way around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Super Deluxe fits fine , seems better then a Hazzard , or a standard marzoochi. Previous owner notched something to make the Hazzard fit . He didn't care for the Hazzard, said the Marzoochi and then avalanched the Marzoochi and said it was by far the best. I've run an X2 and a Superdeluxe ultimate Coil . Super deluxe was FAR better all the way around.
Interesting that a Super Deluxe coil fits. Is that in the low position? A Super Deluxe looks like it would be thick in all the same places as my Marzocchi CR, which only fits in the high position.

I'm currently leaning towards the DVO Jade X partly because its bladder design should leave more room for a large bottle on the downtube. I noticed that my Marzocchi CR seemed to be hitting my bottle slightly when fully compressed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay so by hi low , you mean the 27.5+ or 29 setting ? I believe I run mine in the lower setting and no issues with the super deluxe however I don't/won't run water bottles. A TTX22M might be a other option for more clearence

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good question.
Okay so by hi low , you mean the 27.5+ or 29 setting ?
Good question. The low setting is the one usually used with 29 wheels and the high setting is usually used with 27.5 wheels. It can go either way, but that's the usual approach.

If you're looking at the flip chip and the bolt is closer to the rear wheel, then it's in the low position. If the bolt is closer to the front wheel, then it's in the high position.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure if that's helpful at all but those are just some pics I had on me. I could take some more at home if it helped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I took a look around and couldn't seem to find the shock hardware size for the La Sal anyone here know off the top of their head?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So, I've run this bike 27.5+ (high and low), Mullet w/plus rear (high and low), and now 29 (low only) - don't like the high mode in any configuration, the seat angle is actually just a little too steep, for me, in this mode. I think I had the most fun on the mullet setup, but overall enjoy the 29er setup the most, for almost all conditions. But, I definitely preferred the front end handling in XC and techy climbing situations better with the slightly steeper head angle of 65.5° when in high mode, vs the 65° in low. Even though I'm old, fat and slow, I still like climbing techy (ish) stuff and the vast majority of my riding is classic all mountain and XC. Has anyone steepened their head angle with an angleset headset? Context, my wife's Delano is awesome. If that bike was available when I got my LSP, I'd have some hard decisions to make. Would a steeper head tube angle make this more of an all-arounder? It'd add some stack (good thing) and shorten the wheelbase (a little). Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How much for Travel is the bike at and what fork? I had 2 identical forks on the bike and found the La Sal to be way worse all the way around with the 170 as opposed to a 160 and I found that 150 seemed to work also. Could be another way of going about it .

So, I've run this bike 27.5+ (high and low), Mullet w/plus rear (high and low), and now 29 (low only) - don't like the high mode in any configuration, the seat angle is actually just a little too steep, for me, in this mode. I think I had the most fun on the mullet setup, but overall enjoy the 29er setup the most, for almost all conditions. But, I definitely preferred the front end handling in XC and techy climbing situations better with the slightly steeper head angle of 65.5° when in high mode, vs the 65° in low. Even though I'm old, fat and slow, I still like climbing techy (ish) stuff and the vast majority of my riding is classic all mountain and XC. Has anyone steepened their head angle with an angleset headset? Context, my wife's Delano is awesome. If that bike was available when I got my LSP, I'd have some hard decisions to make. Would a steeper head tube angle make this more of an all-arounder? It'd add some stack (good thing) and shorten the wheelbase (a little). Thanks for the feedback.

361 - 380 of 383 Posts