Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that there is a Fezzari section I figured I would start a page for the La Sal Peak. Let's see your La Sal Peak's. Also feel free to ask questions and share thoughts and experiences.

Here's my XL Elite build. I had them set it up tubeless and also added the deluxe frame protection. I've got 3 rides on it so far. I'm really happy with it. It's a really solid bike that pedals and climbs well even with the shock full open. The suspension is well balanced. The steering and handling of the front end is awesome. It actually tracks and turns very well even in the slow stuff. I think it has a lot to do with the shorter offset fork. I've ridden it on some longer climbs and fast flowy downhills as well as tighter technical more cross country trails. For me it does it all well. I think this could be a good "one bike" for a lot of people given their terrain and riding style permits a longer travel 29er. I'm in the Pacific Northwest for reference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
That’s the new place, right?

We moved to Carson City from Wenatchee the summer before last, miss Tiger, but don’t miss the cold and dark.

Ever get up on Angels Staircase? That’s a nice bike for that ride.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Sub'd.
Trying to get my buddy to buy one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s the new place, right?

We moved to Carson City from Wenatchee the summer before last, miss Tiger, but don’t miss the cold and dark.

Ever get up on Angels Staircase? That’s a nice bike for that ride.
Yes, it's the new place. The area used to be, and still is, referred to as exit 27. I've never ridden the exit 27 "illegal" trails though.

I have lived within 30 minutes of tiger for 35 years and rode it for the first time about 2 months ago. That ride down NOTG on my Trance is what made me start looking at a bigger more capable bike. I've mostly just ridden the trails near me in Black Diamond.

I had to look up Angel's Staircase. That looks like an all day or possibly a weekend ride?

I've got a short job tomorrow up north. I'm thinking about throwing my bike in my rig and hitting up Galbraith for the first time.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
He's riding my old stumpy evo. We ride in the Cascades too, so similar terrain to you but we do a lot of backcountry "epic" type rides like Angels Staircase.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on. I'm super happy with mine. I think it's a great bike for this area. I was worried it may be too much bike for the majority of my rides, but I haven't really found anywhere that I've wished I had my Giant Trance back.

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
That can’t be the wet side of Washington state, the skies are blue and it ain’t summer yet!

I swear, we leave the state cuz it’s cold and dark, then the weather warms up and the skies are sunny,

It was a trick!!

Angels Staircase is a day ride, lots of climbing and lots of descending. The La Sal would be a good bike for that ride.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,615 Posts
@Nurse Ben if you mean my post that's sunny overpriced CA! sun was out, dirt was brown and moist in the redwoods. that picture was from yesterday in the Santa Cruz mountains at Soquel Demonstration State Forest, Monterey Bay in the background.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That can’t be the wet side of Washington state, the skies are blue and it ain’t summer yet!

I swear, we leave the state cuz it’s cold and dark, then the weather warms up and the skies are sunny,

It was a trick!!

Angels Staircase is a day ride, lots of climbing and lots of descending. The La Sal would be a good bike for that ride.
We've had some surprisingly lucky weekends here on the westside. It rains during the week and decent on the weekends. Still wet muddy trails at times. I think I've only missed 4 or 5 weekends riding since August. On all those other weekends I think I've only gotten rained on 3 or 4 times.

I made it up north to Galbraith finally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How do you guys like it for a little more short punchy kinda stuff. I live in Michigan but travel to Arkansas and the UP so the extra travel would be nice compared to the signal. My local trails are up and down constantly.
Thanks for any help
-dan

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you guys like it for a little more short punchy kinda stuff. I live in Michigan but travel to Arkansas and the UP so the extra travel would be nice compared to the signal. My local trails are up and down constantly.
Thanks for any help
-dan

I've got a few rides on some trails that are constant ups and downs. I have no issues with it. So far for me it's doing great everywhere. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" though, so I think proportionately a bigger bike just fits me well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a few rides on some trails that are constant ups and downs. I have no issues with it. So far for me it's doing great everywhere. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" though, so I think proportionately a bigger bike just fits me well.

Perfect. I'm 5'10 and 210 lbs so trying to find bikes that climb well and don't blow through travel or ride like crap is super hard. Found this bike randomly, priced it out, and it seems perfect after all the reviews online and seeing y'all talk about it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perfect. I'm 5'10 and 210 lbs so trying to find bikes that climb well and don't blow through travel or ride like crap is super hard. Found this bike randomly, priced it out, and it seems perfect after all the reviews online and seeing y'all talk about it

This bike definitely doesn't blow through its travel. It pedals well even with the shock fully open. You can get out of the saddle and crank up short punchy climbs without a bunch of pedal bob. The rear suspension is progressive enough towards the middle and end to keep from bottoming out, yet supple in the beginning to soak up rocks and roots. I think it's a good balance of support throughout the travel really.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How do you think it would fare with a coil? I know they offer an MRP coil and I am contemplating seeing if they'll let me upgrade to that suspension package even though it's not an option for the comp.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a guy with the screen name MTBEU here that put one in his. He said he really likes it. The MRP hazard has a progressive spring option. I'm definitely curious to try one.

1 - 20 of 383 Posts