Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some ten weight oil for my Super T and I plan on changing the oil this week. From what I understand a heavier oil will slow the dampening and with a greater amount of oil decrease bottoming. Correct me if I am wrong. My main question is when I take all the internals out to drain the oil I plan on measuring how much comes out. Can I take that amount and put the same amount of 10 weight oil in then fine tune from there. I would rather do this then measure oil height I feel the volume would be easier. I know how to get the oil out just wondering if because the oil is a heavier weight less will be needed. I want the fork to be a little more bottom out resistant because I bottomed it of a 12 foot drop/gap. This will also slow down the rebound right
Thanks

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
MX 887 said:
So can I measure how much comes out. then I take that amount and put the same amount of 10 weight oil in then fine tune from there. :confused:
Thanks
Have you ever had the oil changed in this fork before? If not then I would not suggest the method you described.

Given your description of how the fork is performing now and the belief that you have the correct spring rate for your riding style\body weight, chances are that Marz didn't put in the correct oil height at the factory (which is quite normal for them; don't ask me why :confused: ). You'd be better off using the measure down from the top method that most people find success with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
839 Posts
MX 887 said:
I picked up some ten weight oil for my Super T and I plan on changing the oil this week. From what I understand a heavier oil will slow the dampening and with a greater amount of oil decrease bottoming. Correct me if I am wrong. My main question is when I take all the internals out to drain the oil I plan on measuring how much comes out. Can I take that amount and put the same amount of 10 weight oil in then fine tune from there. I would rather do this then measure oil height I feel the volume would be easier. I know how to get the oil out just wondering if because the oil is a heavier weight less will be needed. I want the fork to be a little more bottom out resistant because I bottomed it of a 12 foot drop/gap. This will also slow down the rebound right
Thanks
Hey, this method should work if you do two things:
1) Cycle the damper rod a lot to ensure all oil is drained from cartridge.
2) Do one leg at a time. Leave one leg sealed up while you do the other.

I've owned SuperT's for 4 years and have done about 10 oil changes, and I always measure the height while filling it up. I'll add ~5-10% to the oil height if my fork is bottoming out. The 10wt will slow down the rebound. What is also does is allow you to open up the cartridge's valves more with the top adjuster - this is a good thing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
red5 said:
Have you ever had the oil changed in this fork before? If not then I would not suggest the method you described.

Given your description of how the fork is performing now and the belief that you have the correct spring rate for your riding style\body weight, chances are that Marz didn't put in the correct oil height at the factory (which is quite normal for them; don't ask me why :confused: ). You'd be better off using the measure down from the top method that most people find success with.

Good luck.
OK the what would be the recommended oil height to start of at. The springs feel fine just plan on making it more bottom out resistant. Basically I wanted to put the same amount of oil in then add a capful at a time to get the feel I want.
Thanks
Just trying to figure it out

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
islander said:
Hey, this method should work if you do two things:
1) Cycle the damper rod a lot to ensure all oil is drained from cartridge.
2) Do one leg at a time. Leave one leg sealed up while you do the other.

I've owned SuperT's for 4 years and have done about 10 oil changes, and I always measure the height while filling it up. I'll add ~5-10% to the oil height if my fork is bottoming out. The 10wt will slow down the rebound. What is also does is allow you to open up the cartridge's valves more with the top adjuster - this is a good thing.
Ok how exactly do I cycle the damper rod-do I compress the fork?
Thanks

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I took the oil out of my shiver and measured it. Then put the same amount back in and it somehow overflowed.....best just to measure the stuff when filling up.

·
soulrider
21 Posts
height increase

hey bro, i have an 04 super t on my shore. i was having a similar problem and talked to the team mechanic at norco. He said that the marz forks are sent under filled with oil so just add more oil. If your rebound is good by increasing the oil height you will decrease the bottoming. Heavier oil will just slow the rebound not increase bottoming resistance. Oh and by the way Volume=base*height, meaning that volume and height are proportional. For summary increase in oil height=increase in oil volume=more bottom resistant.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
slotownfr said:
hey bro, i have an 04 super t on my shore. i was having a similar problem and talked to the team mechanic at norco. He said that the marz forks are sent under filled with oil so just add more oil. If your rebound is good by increasing the oil height you will decrease the bottoming. Heavier oil will just slow the rebound not increase bottoming resistance. Oh and by the way Volume=base*height, meaning that volume and height are proportional. For summary increase in oil height=increase in oil volume=more bottom resistant.
Yea I got all that. Only more oil will affect bottom out, heavier oil slows rebound :)
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.