Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate your help in advance...

Q: What is the main difference between the Racer X and the RX-1?

Q: I'm trying to purchase my first bike with a budget of around $1,600. I'm a competitive cyclist and looking to hop on a bike that I'd be able to race XC and do Xterra's in. Does anyone know or have a Titus XC bike that they'd sell for that budget?

Q: JensenUSA has an 08 RX-1 frameset for $700. How much do you think (opinion) it would cost to put the bike together? I'd look for a decent fork and try to run SRAM throughout with hydros. Not too handy with a wrench, so I've got to take into account labor. I know thats a very subjective q to many factors, but trying to get an idea.

I REALLY like the Titus. I've been looking at these two Titus and the Santa Cruz Superlight.

·
Registered
“…I can’t even parallel park!”
92 Posts
If you can find a complete bike on eBay, that would be your best bet if you want high end components. I but a Motolite together for $2K and I had $500 worth of parts to begin with. I could've bought the same bike on eBay for about $2,500.

In your case, starting from scratch, you'd pay alot more since you'll have to get a bike shop to put everything together for you. From my experience, selling a bike part by part is more profitable than selling a whole bike, especially if there's a lot of high end parts involved.

Also, IIRC, the RX-1 is made in Taiwan, and the Racer X in the U.S. The main difference is with the Racer X, you are getting a carbon rear triangle and the RX1 has no carbon. It's mainly a weight issue, but if money is an issue the RX-1 will do the job. I had a Racer X when it didn't have the carbon rear triangle, and I still enjoyed the ride.

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Titus on a budget

TitusMotolite said:
I put a Motolite together for $2K and I had $500 worth of parts to begin with. I could've bought the same bike on eBay for about $2,500.
I was able to put together a MotoLite for between $1,500-$1,600. I purchased a mid-level hardtail the year prior, found a used MotoLite frame on eBay, and moved the components from the HT to the ML. I got good deals on both, and I was able to do all the labor myself, which made a difference. But if you look carefully and you're patient, it can be done.

User "TitusMotolite" is correct; many times it's cheaper to buy a complete bike. Maybe you can find a used hardtail or something and pick it up and then put those components on a new RX-1 frame? I'm sure your LBS would put in the wrench time for not too much $. Just a thought.

Here's a link to the thread on my build.

Good luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nope!

TitusMotolite said:
Also, IIRC, the RX-1 is made in Taiwan, and the Racer X in the U.S. The main difference is with the Racer X, you are getting a carbon rear triangle and the RX1 has no carbon. It's mainly a weight issue, but if money is an issue the RX-1 will do the job. I had a Racer X when it didn't have the carbon rear triangle, and I still enjoyed the ride.
All the RX1's were made by our good friends up in Portland at SAPA. Now the ML1's on the other hand were in fact built by Kinesis in Taiwan. If the country of origin is going to be a deciding factor in this purchase we should at least have the correct info. Either way, both frames will ride the same with the RX1 being ever so slightly heavier than the RX due to the seat stays.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.