Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of building up my first bike and going with a Fetish frame (either the disipline or the d&s).

i mainly ride trails (paved, unpaved, st, xc)

Has anyone built one up? I am just iching to build up a bike this winter. The frames seem reasonably priced....

I guess my main goal would be to have a 27sp in addtion to my current ss bike to take offroading and ride with friends who dont get the whole single speed thing. I also want something i can put disc brakes on (this will be my first disc bike..so im excited there as well).

I dont wanna brake the bank but i dont want junk either. Somthing solid for a starting point that i can upgrade over time.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a Fixation frame. also was my first build. its not too heavy, but it is gusseted nicely to protect from abuse. also, it uses horizontal dropouts for ss, as well as a replaceable derailleur hangar. the discipline and d&s seem a little heavy for trail use.

just as an example, i started with 8x2, then 1sp, now 9x3. 100mm fork, now 1.9 tires. i love it. i ride XC, downhill, dirtjump, urban, trials, everything and couldnt be better! just today i acidentally landed 10ish feet to flat, and everythign looks fine!

anyways, sorry for the rant, but as you can see i love the frame. good luck with your decision and i would be glad to answer anymore questions!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've got a discipline I built up. The frame quality is fine. The basic finish is rugged and well done, the graphics a little cheezey, look sorta stencilled. Overall I'd say it was a very good buy. I trashed the derailleur hanger through user error and replaced it with a much nicer CNC piece. The frame is pretty darn light, only a little heavier than my Klein.

When they say it's designed around a 100mm fork, believe them. I live in an 80mm world and just that little difference is enough to make road handling funny and lose about a 1/2 inch pedal clearance..

If you ride a 20" mine will be for sale in the near future and you can save some bucks while I build up something with a more suitable geometry.

Ron

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
D&S Frame

I have a D&S frame. I have had it over a year (decided to build a fully first). Yet to biuld it, but it IS A LIGHT frame. Mine is a 17" frame. It is a nicely built frame. It reminds me very much of my Stumpjumper M4, maybe a little lighter.

The D&S is designed around an 80mm fork, not 100mm like the Discipline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.