Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to get as much trail built as possible in 2007 I will be at Buzzards Roost this Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday Mornings from 8-12 Anyone and everyone is invited to come and get on the business end of trail work. We have plenty of work left to hand bench and lots of hand finishing to do following the machine cut section. Any questions send me a PM.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Just a heads up, it is *only* 1,200 feet (give or take) needing hand-benchcut. That's the harder part of the trail work. Then there is 2,500 feet of hand finish to do behind the machine. NOT so daunting. If you've got an hour or two free an time the next 4 days, 8 am to Noon, just come on out. 5 miles West on Hwy 44 from Canyon Lake Park. Dirt pull out on the left.

You'll be rewarded with a nice little bit of exercise and a trail you can enjoy for many years to come.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm planning on Sat morning; trying to get up there about 7am. If anybody wants to carpool, we can meet at Acme and I will drive; let me know. Like Tim said, the easy work is the finishing behind the machine cut, so even two hours of that will accomplish alot. That would be awesome if we can get the machine cut and the hand benching connected by the New Year.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I will see what I can swing. Carla needs a break from mommy duty so I wont know until I jump in the truck and go.

Anyone local that has not been up there NEEDS to go check it out! IMBA approved trailbuilding, this loop will FLOWWWWWWW!

·
Registered
63 Posts
:cool: Buzzard's Roost is a milestone for the Black Hills Community. Not just because the USDA-FS is working with the BHMBA but more important would be the opportunity for our community to come together and grow thru grass roots activism. Grab your tool and get involved!!!
Check out www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/ for a quick education on IMBA specs and tips.

Attachments

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Nearly 600 feet from Friday and Saturday

Good work lads. Almost 600 feet hand benched Friday and Saturday combined (10 workers Fri, 14 workers Saturday). Plan is for more of the same Sunday and Monday from 8am to Noon. Get up and help if you have an hour or two to spare. This should put us with 2 miles of new rideable and well built trail. Worth coming to take a look at.

One photo is of some team work to kill a rock, note the OSHA safety glasses.

Another shot of a pin flag line, roughed in first pass. This is in some rocky rocky stretches.

See you folks up there Sunday and Monday! Thanks in advance. Email to your pals.

Attachments

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Don't have the final tally, but a good 12+ folks showed up today (Sunday) for another morning of hand benching. Good work all. That was/is a really tricky section and it came along great. One more day in 2007, work again Monday 8am to Noon if you can, even if you only have an hour or two to give, it makes a difference.

We are just feet away from 2 miles of continuous new trail. And (for the time being) the heavy lifting is done. There is a fair bit of machine cut to hand finish, but that goes quickly. Good work, all!

Again, work on Monday 8am to Noon, then Tuesday we can do a little ride on the new trail at 9am.

G

·
wow! what a great day to scratch and dig. some before and after pics would have been awesome. the climbing section just fell into place, and it looks great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great progress today. The group is becoming more skilled every day. With that we become more efficient and better learn to utilize our time. The area we worked today seemed quite overwhelming when we viewed it yesterday. We rock!!! Tim, my pick shrank 3/8" today. Kelly put me down for 5 hours today.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the hard work all. We went out in the afternoon and this trail is really going to be a hoot to ride. One more day tomorrow, I am starting to wear down a little but will be there with tools and a little knowledge and help is extremely appreciated. Thanks once again to the people who have spent their weekend hand benching hope to see all on monday and tuesday.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Great turnout on the final day of 2007!

Again, kudos to all who helped the cause. We do indeed have 2 miles fully linked and rideable. A great feat, and a Hip Hip Hooray to our boy Kelly Halter for spearheading this. Certainly there is more work to do along the 2 miles, finish work and a few tough spots that will need re-visited, but it is LINKED, buuuuuhhhhhdeeeee! This existing section will be a 3 mile loop gate-to-gate, and we fully intend to have it ready to debut at www.bhfattirefestival.com

If you want a great New Year's workout program, make it a goal to walk the trail out, and do hand finishing on the machine benched section (email me, or keep an eye out for the traffic cones that mark the end/beginning of the finished to un-finished cut), but it is pretty obvious.

The SK500 goes in for some service, but we will kick off the New Year with bench cutting to make the 3 mile loop. There is still lots of work for anyone wanting to be involved. DON'T BE SHY! The project calls for two 3 mile loops, linked across the top (spectacular views of Dark Canyon, Harney Peak, Storm Mt, etc) and connected at the bottom near the gate. More mileage may be added as we can.

This little fella did his fair share of work, then did some laps on his new Christmas bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Like Tim said...things were great today. There was a chilly breeze, but we all made it out alive. We had a great turnout today, just what was needed to connect the trail. I was amazed at how nice the trail looks so far. I can't wait to see the entire 3 mile loop.

·
Pro Lurker
79 Posts
It was great to finally get out there and do some work! It was nice to meet you all. I will keep an eye out, and hopefully get some more time in. The little one had a blast, he wanted to go back after lunch, I think hes hooked! :thumbsup: See you all tomorrow!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all, this is quite a thing we have going. Tim, Dirk, Ed, Dave deserve a huge hand and maybe even a HUG????

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry I missed out on the fun today... My wife and I hiked the entire eastern loop on the way home from skiing this afternoon. You guys are truly motivated. Great job on another quantum leap on todays effort. The wife was quite impressed and was happy too see a new trail that was more in her comfort zone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts