Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Only dead people are old
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick SS morph on the Ferrous then hit the trails...The ride? Well let me say that I can't believe I ever rode aluminium...I've been missing out on the ultimate frame material:madman: I'm not sure I will ever ride my Rig or any other aluminium hardtails ever again...

Attachments

·
Only dead people are old
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Can't speak to the Ferrous specifically but I have not noticed any negative effect on using 100mm on either my GF XCal or SCal.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Congrats!
Is that the same seatpost you used on the Rig, for a fair comparison?
I rode a friend's Inbred with Moots seatpost, that was really unreal, being used to aluminum frames and a 23.4" tall Surly. I suppose the Ferrous is made of even nicer steel?

·
Only dead people are old
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cloxxki said:
Congrats!
Is that the same seatpost you used on the Rig, for a fair comparison?
I rode a friend's Inbred with Moots seatpost, that was really unreal, being used to aluminum frames and a 23.4" tall Surly. I suppose the Ferrous is made of even nicer steel?
I've used this same seatpost on the Rig (in fact many of the parts on the Ferrous were on the Rig or have been at some time). The seatpost is a USE Alien Ti and yes it helps provide a smoother ride on any hardtail. The steel frame just made it a way better ride. FYI I've also always thought the "newer" Fisher frames (Rig, Paragon, X-cal...) were a bit stiff - more so than the older Fisher 29er frames. My 2002 Supercal has a much smoother ride than any of the newer Fisher frames I've owned.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
my feelings...

exactly back in 2000 when I switched to steel from alu :thumbsup: . & yrs later I feel exactly the same way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
how bout the sizing

how is the sizing compared to your other fisher's? how tall are you, etc? i have a med rig and a large x-cal, but my rig has a laid back ti post and a longer stem (i just wanted the lower standover). i noticed the geo of the ferrous is a bit different, so i was curious about that. my lbs can get me a medium so its tempting but i am afraid it might be too small.

·
Only dead people are old
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kenyon said:
how is the sizing compared to your other fisher's? how tall are you, etc? i have a med rig and a large x-cal, but my rig has a laid back ti post and a longer stem (i just wanted the lower standover). i noticed the geo of the ferrous is a bit different, so i was curious about that. my lbs can get me a medium so its tempting but i am afraid it might be too small.
If you're fitting tight on a medium a you may want to consider a large. The ETT on my Ferrous is 23.5 inches (my medium Rig is closer to 24 inches). I'm just a tad over 5'8". Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I saw a brand new 17.5 Ferrous tonight at my LBS. It really looked sweet and the Carolina blue was a nice color. The seat stays were much wider than the stays on my Paragon. It appeared that they would accommodate the largest 29'er tire available. However, oddly the chain stays were as tight a tolerance as my old Paragon. It seems that IF this was a problem associated with the Gary Fisher aluminum frames Trek/Fisher would have addressed this in the newly designed Ferrous. It appears they did not. :???:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.