Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I am currently riding (and loving) my 2008 Ferrous 29er.

I recently noticed that there is no "brace" between the chain and seat stay on the non-drive side, near the disc brake mount. I've seen "braces" in that spot on other steel bikes. My guess is that they are in place to reinforce that area against downward brake forces that might be substantial enough to cause frame failure.

Is this something I should worry about in terms of frame failure on my Ferrous? I am using the OE BB7 brakes and 160mm rotors.

Thoughts?

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
Don't worry about it. Some builders use them, some don't. You do see the argument on frame forum from time to time over there use. If you want the straight skinny about your frame then ask the builder why he/she did not use them.

...I would still be worried though...FAIL!

·
Framebuilder
435 Posts
On-One said:
Don't worry about it. Some builders use them, some don't. You do see the argument on frame forum from time to time over there use. If you want the straight skinny about your frame then ask the builder why he/she did not use them.

...I would still be worried though...FAIL!
Alot depends on the design of the dropout as well. I don't know what the Fisher drop looks like, but there are some very good drops (like Paragon's) that integrate the disc mount with the dropout making it possible to do without the brace.
Could be that the Fisher uses some beefy seatstays too.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
....I was thinking the brand Ferrous, rather than the fisher bike model... Could be either I suppose. Ferrous frames look nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.