Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hubby and I took a day trip up to the American Falls trail, N of Priest Lake in N. Idaho.

While not old growth cedar forest, the second growth on this very is very old. The trail is buff single track through cedars and ferns for miles and miles, a very gentle gradient.

In places the ferns were chest high, but I don't have pics of that.

Ferns everywhere

The trail appears to be quite old and well maintained. There were lots of these nifty boardwalks over the boggy areas.

After 8 miles of the ferns, cedars and boardwalks,
American Falls, Upper Priest River.... 1/4 mile S of Canada.

Upper Priest River

Here's our little lunch spot

Then back down....whee---yeah!
This trail was very reminiscent of the MRT sans lava

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
Very nice photos Formica. I went to school in N Idaho, but that was pre mountain biking days.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Next time wet a line in that stream, looks beautiful! Those cedars are huge compared to the ones we have in the Southwest. I wonder if we would suffer the same allergies?

Thanks for the pictures.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jonny boy said:
Next time wet a line in that stream, looks beautiful! Those cedars are huge compared to the ones we have in the Southwest. I wonder if we would suffer the same allergies?

Thanks for the pictures.
LOL, Mr. Formica was muttering the whole lunch break about bringing in his breakdown fly rod next time. He's always gazing into the dark recesses of the pools. It is catch and release Bull trout county.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the pics and report. Looks like the total opposite of our desert stuff around here. I'll be in Sandpoint (camping at Farragut S.P.) from the 14th-16th. How far is this trail from there? Looks like a trail worth doing!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From Farragut, maybe a 2 hour drive? I'm guesstimating. Hmm, Farragut to Sandpoint is about 1/2 hour45 mins I think, another 20 or so to Priest River, and then up the west side of Priest Lake past Nordman and then about 20 miles + on dirt?

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's pretty far! I think I might be able to find similar trails closer to Farragut; probably not with a waterfall though! Thanks for the info.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mmm, the rest of the Idaho crew is welcome to chime in, but I think not. Maybe the lakeshore trail at Priest, but I haven't personally been on that one.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No. We took the road up past Nordman, past Stagger Inn, to the 308 trailhead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts