Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us have been looking for a good 2 cell battery holder, so I asked Dora and May to find out if they can get the Fenix BA4C 2 Cell Battery Case seperately. May just told me they can if there is interest.

Technology Font Metal Parallel Rectangle

The only issue is the need to swap the existing connector with the correct connector since it has a male connector rather than a female. I doubt they will swap it for us.

is there interest in this case?

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interested - depending on the price.

Remember this case does not have protection, so you would charge the batteries out of the case, in a separate charger.

I doubt it would be difficult change the lead coming out of the case. For those that don't want to do get their fingers dirty, and haul out the soldering iron, a simple solution would be to use a Y cable. They're short and will do the gender bending job.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'd be interested in trying one if Gearbest can get them at that price.

Connector swap is an easy job. All you need is a soldering iron and some heat-shrink tubing- narrow for the internal wires, then self-adhesive heat shrink for the outer.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Remember this case does not have protection, so you would charge the batteries out of the case, in a separate charger.
If using a regular 2 cell charger that just charges 18650s, is that dangerous because they are technically not getting balanced? ( I suppose they are getting close to balanced, if the charger is properly charging each cell....but...I think that's different than true balance charging from something like a hobby charger, right? )

thx.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,556 Posts
If using a regular 2 cell charger that just charges 18650s, is that dangerous because they are technically not getting balanced? ( I suppose they are getting close to balanced, if the charger is properly charging each cell....but...I think that's different than true balance charging from something like a hobby charger, right? )

thx.
With a reasonable quality charger that charges each cell separately cells would typically be within .01-.02v of each other which is fine.

The concern with cells getting out balance when charged in a pack is they will tend to get more and more out of balance with each discharge/charge cycle.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,172 Posts
Definitely interested!

I would also be interested in the case that comes with the Fenix HP30... it has a battery gauge and USB port which I bet is properly designed unlike the Solarforce one.

https://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-hp30.html
I like that even more. This would allow you to power a phone in an emergency.

Would run times on most of the Gearbest 2x/3x/4x LED lights just be cut in half? Or might we see pretty comparable runtimes using quality high capacity cells?

·
Registered
969 Posts
With a reasonable quality charger that charges each cell separately cells would typically be within .01-.02v of each other which is fine.

The concern with cells getting out balance when charged in a pack is they will tend to get more and more out of balance with each discharge/charge cycle.
got it, that makes sense.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I suspect hat the FT-30 Case would be much more expensive. For example it comes with the aluminum holster. While I do like a battery meter, I usually ride on packs that don't include one.

My concern would be if the USB port had the same parasitic drain it caused in the Solarstorm case. If implemented via the on/off switch for the battery meter lights, it would be a superior case, but price would be a deciding factor for me.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of our bike light packs serving double duty as a powerbank. MagicShine and Lupine have implemented them as dongles that plug into the regular end. I've even seen no-name third party ones that I'm less likey to trust. (Can't find a pic at the moment) A dongle does defeat "charge while riding, unless you use a Y cable.
Product Electronic device Cable Technology Circle

Magicshine MJ-6086 USB Adapter: $14.95 USD

Rectangle Mobile phone accessories Material property Number Everyday carry

Lupine USB One: $19.50 USD

Attachments

·
3,172 Posts
I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd agree that price and parasitic drain are important reason ditch a USB port on the pack.

Although it'd be great if Gearbest would give us the option of at least trying the USB equipped pack.
It's all about interest and sales. If they will sell a few of the packs, it's not worth the investment to order a lot. They have to deal with minimum orders so they can't just order a few.

I will ask. Please list which one your interested in and yes I know it depends on price. The more we order the cheaper they get, so which do you prefer. I prefer the simple pack without the meter. The old Magicshine pack turned me away from battery meters.

·
3,172 Posts
I honestly want whichever pack is cheapest and has the best sealing.

I can always get a single 18650 USB battery pack to keep in the camelback for emergencies.

1 - 20 of 316 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.