Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need rear fender and down tube fender. What one works which dont? Any brands to stay away from. Need to stop mud and water from heading up the back of my pack, and keep mud out of my eyes.

Pics always are nice.:thumbsup:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Fenders

I've had to extend the front and back fenders to really keep mud out of my eyes and off my back.

The front rear and and swingarm fenders in this picture are based on T.H.E. Downhill fenders the heavier ones. The downtube fender and fender extensions are made from a 2' x 4' thin plastic sheet bought for $7 at TAP plastics in Marin, there are many colors available too.

The swingarm fender is secured by wrapping a zip tie around the at the chain-stay yoke and sliding a tab at the bottom of the fender in front of the zip-tie, and zip-tied to the cable bosses on the seat stays.

I've gone to a different rear fender than pictured this year from PlanetBike (http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7000.html), with a quick release mount to the seat tube. I hammered a small picture-hanging nail under the the rear of the mount that fit's into the slot in the seat collar to keep the rear fender centered.

Note the downtube fender extends lower on the right side to protect the rings and chain from spray off the front wheel (this really works to keep the chain cleaner and chain-suck free for much longer). I used Velcro and one of the water bottle bolts to secure the downtube fender.

My fenders all together weigh less than a pound.

Here's a picture from a year ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy fenders Derby, I was in Annadel this morning with no fenders, I like the looks of the T.H.E. but also looking at the Topeake Defender M1/M2 combo. Anyone have good look with the sks?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use SKS front and rear (http://www.rei.com/product/647147 and http://www.rei.com/product/697814). They work pretty well, inexpensive, light and super fast on/off (like 20 seconds each). The rear has tendency to slide a bit laterally around seatpost, but once you get it adjusted nice and tight it will stay. (The sliding can also be a benefit when you accidentally bang into it while mounting/dismounting quickly.)

I've been using them successfully for 3 years on two bikes, but finally just lost the front one last week on a super overgrown brush-stewn trail...I guess it just got torn off by a branch without me knowing it. Definitely not the most durable out there, but I will replace with same...at least they're cheap.

They keep the mud off the back and face pretty well, but I know for a fact they don't work as well as Derby's setup (ran into him on a wet ride last winter and we compared mud splatters...he and Mojo was earily clean!). But mine have no customizations and I like the instant on/off and light weight of SKS.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
KenDobson said:
Holy fenders Derby, I was in Annadel this morning with no fenders, I like the looks of the T.H.E. but also looking at the Topeake Defender M1/M2 combo. Anyone have good look with the sks?
This year my rear fender is from PlanetBike. It has a similar buckle and strap quick release to the seat post like the SKS rear fender. I added some black sheeting to widen and extend the fender a few more inches rearward. And hammered a very small nail on center into the underside of the mount that fit's the gap in the seat collar to keep the fender centered. I think the SKS is a little wider and may not need extending.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7000.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I ran a THE xc front fender on my MojoSL at Silverstar bike park in BC, it had rained all night so the place was a complete mud bath. Worked very well at keeping mud out of the face & is probably the lightest front fender out there, however it was a nightmare getting it mounted properly so it didn't touch the fork brace [Fox float 140 ] & the oversize carbon head tube.I had to re-bend metal mounting bracket & re drill mounting holes in fender for more clearance. If you go this route give your self an hour or two to getting it fitting properly.When you think you have it right let all the air out of the forks & run them through full travel to test.:)

·
Ride More Work Less
372 Posts
I have pretty good luck with the SKS products: Shockblade Front, X-Blade Rear 26 (better than the one referenced above), and also the Mud-X Dirtboard. I place the Dirtboard on the downtube so it just clears the large chain ring and it catches a lot of mud the the fender does not stop. SKS makes a downtube fender, but I have never seen it at REI to see if it is better than the Dirtboard. The rear fender does not keep mud off the shock. I need to get a set-up like Derby.

No matter what, if it's really muddy I'll end up dirty and wet too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.