Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
325 Posts
I have VO fenders on my Wolverine - it sees plenty of gravel and green trails. I ordered extra stays and hardware to add a third attachment point for the front of the fender to the fork and it's solid.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

There's a review on these VO 26" 60mm fenders that says Rat Trap Pass 2.3s fit under them but it may be close depending on your rim width: 26" Smooth Fenders, 60mm - Silver and Noir

Our tandem has RH 2.3s under Planet Bike Cascadia 29er 65mm fenders. They have good coverage and clearance but the VO fenders are nicer and a bit more secure.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

My XOXO also has Planet Bike fenders - these are 26" Cascadia but if you are running 2.3s the 29er fenders above may be a better fit. This bike also sees green trails and haven't had any issues with the fenders. I've been considering upgrading to VO fenders on this bike but the PB fenders work well enough.

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel

· Registered
3,557 Posts
I've used aluminum and plastic (polycarbonate SKS fenders). With either, make sure you have release tabs for the front wheel, as riding on a trail, you'll eventually pick up something that lodges itself under the fender. Either the fender detaches, crumples, or the wheel suddenly stops. The first is irritating, the second is a large buzz-kill, and the third is--obviously--bad.

Aluminum fenders will crack at the mounting points if you aren't careful installing them (using leather washers, taking care to isolate them from the frame, etc), and they have a tendency to be quite noisy on loose surfaces. Polycarbonate deals with the cracking issue better, and as a bonus, crumpling is usually not immediately fatal (they can be pulled out, and even re-set with heat at home).

I find that aluminum generally LOOKS better, and generally has better tire wrap (<--important for keeping spray off you). Plastic is quieter, and generally shrugs off damage better. Pick your poison.

SKS P65s fit over 2.3" tires, as do the aforementioned Velo Orange fenders...but both lack real offroad clearance around ~1cm all around. I think Soma (Merry Sales Co) sells Tanaka fenders that are explicitly sized for clearance over RTP tires.

· CB of the East
4,118 Posts
I've used aluminum and plastic (polycarbonate SKS fenders). With either, make sure you have release tabs for the front wheel, as riding on a trail, you'll eventually pick up something that lodges itself under the fender. Either the fender detaches, crumples, or the wheel suddenly stops. The first is irritating, the second is a large buzz-kill, and the third is--obviously--bad.
I wholeheartedly second this. I picked up a stick riding with lights and got slammed on my head so fast I'm surprised I'm not paralyzed. Those were aluminum fenders. They bent in the process but bent back just fine. I ordered safety tabs the next day.

· Registered
1,741 Posts
I was running cardboard on the rear rack, then I decided to get fancy and use some plastic sheets I had laying around unused for some handlebar "guards" to take away the windchill in the winter and perhaps make some heated handlebars out of vaping wire and some tool pack batteries. Now with winter here, I am not running anything but there will be days when the snow will melt and I would need mud guards, I have several from plastic to metal so its whatever is easiest to get (top of the pile) and whats the easiest to install.
The rear will need a 700C mudguard and the front will need a 26" mud guard so its a tossup on what materials to use, I dont care about grams.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.