Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Banshee Spitfire and came across the blueprint for a rear fender. I just haven’t found a good source for material to cut it from yet. From my calculations a 2 liter soda bottle is too small. A 3 liter would probably work if i chop the top and bottom off, cut it vertically and unwind the circumference. Although not sure the plastic’s memory of the cylinder shape would be an issue. plus i haven’t found any 3 liter bottles anywhere, not even at the big box stores.

What is the best material source for cutting out a diy rear fender?

· damned rocks...
2,805 Posts
In the past I used the bottle of clothes detergent, because they are more squared shaped and less round you have a bigger surface to cut, also they usually are made of colored PTFE which makes them flexible and highly resistant to damage.

· Registered
1,804 Posts
I got to thelocal hardware/housewares store and buy sheets of shelf liner. It isnt as thick so need to be replaced periodically. Another alternative is those portable cutting board sheets, theyre thicker but not as big.
I remeber ages ago squirreling toner bottles from tge laser printer at work.

· damned rocks...
2,805 Posts
I think that you mean extruded blown HDPE.
PTFE is Teflon. A rather expensive material.
You are right, I got the two mixed despite knowing PTFE is known as Teflon. The HDPE is the one I was trying to refer to, I use it on several places to protect my frame, like rear brake hose friction when contacting the frame, or to protect the rear triangle bridge from rocks and debris, etc... I heat it with a torch and mold it to the frame.

· Registered
127 Posts
I recently purchased a Banshee Spitfire and came across the blueprint for a rear fender. I just haven't found a good source for material to cut it from yet. From my calculations a 2 liter soda bottle is too small. A 3 liter would probably work if i chop the top and bottom off, cut it vertically and unwind the circumference. Although not sure the plastic's memory of the cylinder shape would be an issue. plus i haven't found any 3 liter bottles anywhere, not even at the big box stores.

Maybe google Kydex. It's easy to cut and thermoform at home. It's a bit more difficult and a bit more expensive than a milk bottle but has been a good solution for me.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
second the crazy carpet roll up sled. same material all the other ones are cut from.

cad the file and send to your local cutting shop and it can be perfectly customized for you. course it wont be cheaper anymore since your paying for the router time. but the customization is cool.

cut to fit between the upper frame section and put holes in it to mount accessories for bike packing, water bottles, tubes, pump, etc.

get creative!

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
second the crazy carpet roll up sled. same material all the other ones are cut from.

cad the file and send to your local cutting shop and it can be perfectly customized for you. course it wont be cheaper anymore since your paying for the router time. but the customization is cool.

cut to fit between the upper frame section and put holes in it to mount accessories for bike packing, water bottles, tubes, pump, etc.

get creative!
I think i can hold out until the next sled season. Thanks to everyone for the good ideas.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Maybe google Kydex. It's easy to cut and thermoform at home. It's a bit more difficult and a bit more expensive than a milk bottle but has been a good solution for me.
This would be my choice too, I have used it for smaller parts and have always thought it would make a good fender if the need arose. You can buy it in sheets of various thicknesses and while it's not soda bottle cheap it's not overly expensive. It's commonly used to make pistol holsters because it is easy to thermally form to complicated shapes and it holds the shape well plus it is reasonably tough.

· Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a Banshee Spitfire and came across the blueprint for a rear fender. I just haven't found a good source for material to cut it from yet. From my calculations a 2 liter soda bottle is too small. A 3 liter would probably work if i chop the top and bottom off, cut it vertically and unwind the circumference. Although not sure the plastic's memory of the cylinder shape would be an issue. plus i haven't found any 3 liter bottles anywhere, not even at the big box stores.

this works pretty good ... a bit on the thin side Amazon.com: Plastic Art Sheets, Polyethylene Craft Sheets, 8-Pack - Durable, Flexible and Versatile 3-D Art, Great for Drawing, Painting, Marbling, Collages and Monoprints - 11 x 17" - Assorted Colors
this works great ... pretty much indestructible HDPE M/M Opaque Sheets : TAP Plastics

· Registered
1,288 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i got the kydex, taped the stencil over it and cut it with a fabric cutting wheel, kind of like a pizza cutter. It almost came out great but the zip tie slots were about 10mm off vertically so it didnt fit right. Lesson learned, try again but next time cut the upper pair of zip tie slots to size after mounting the lower zip.

also the kydex is very thin and seems like it could tear. I am thinking of a small gorilla tape patch to reinforce every zip tie slot to ensure the fender doesnt rip off and jam up my wheel.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used the 12"x12"x0.028" kydex squares and it was perfect. Definitely feels stout.
I wasn't exactly sure what i was getting. Now i figured out 12 pt = .012" so about half the thickness of yours. I think it will work with reinforced slots for the zipties and better spacing on the zip tie slots.

after i figure out the design based on the banshee stencil pattern i will be trying custom shapes for other bikes since i got a 8 pack of these sheets

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.