1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience?

Mostly the double shot?

http://www.feltracing.com/06/06_shot/double_shot/specs.html

I have an opportunity to get one really cheap.

Background: I'm a road racer who has been dabbling in xc racing since late '04. I'm really bad becuase my bike handling skills are lacking. Its a situation where I catch everyone on flat/uphills, but get wasted in the technical stuff. I figure urban riding will help learn to do basic stuff like bunnyhopping that I could bring into the race course. Would this be a good bike for me?

·
Registered
53 Posts
ok...fd doesnt mean much but i would upgrade that to an x7 if you had the lil extra cash i hear the low end sram still isnt that good...im running x7 on my urban bike and x9 on my XC bike so im a firm sram guy...not beating on it but i just dont like the lower line much yet

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtbman1127 said:
ok...fd doesnt mean much but i would upgrade that to an x7 if you had the lil extra cash i hear the low end sram still isnt that good...im running x7 on my urban bike and x9 on my XC bike so im a firm sram guy...not beating on it but i just dont like the lower line much yet
that was the idea. i was going to get a short cage der so its out of the way and not getting smashed into things.

that and possibly avid mechanicals.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I bought it!

I also ordered a 9spd road cassette (11-23), 105 rd, and a sram attack 9spd shifter. I was just going to get an 8 spd (it comes stock with X-7 8spd drivetrain) road cassette, and a medium cage x-9 der, but I just found out SRAM discontiuned the medium cage x-9! So I would have had to get x.0. forget it!

the wheels are horrible. i've had to true them twice-- given i'm not the smoothest rider in the world, or the best (matter of fact, I suck...). They seem pretty weak. They're going really soon. I need to decide on some hubs with more than 16 engagement points.

Suggestions please!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cruzer2424 said:
Anyone have experience?

Mostly the double shot?

Background: I'm a road racer who has been dabbling in xc racing since late '04. I'm really bad becuase my bike handling skills are lacking. Its a situation where I catch everyone on flat/uphills, but get wasted in the technical stuff. I figure urban riding will help learn to do basic stuff like bunnyhopping that I could bring into the race course. Would this be a good bike for me?
nuts. I forgot to mention. I also put some Kenda K-rads on it to make it more street friendly.

Was between that and hookworks- decided on the K-Rads becuase they were lighter.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
cruzer2424 said:
Anyone have experience?

Mostly the double shot?

With 17" chainstays, and a 23" toptube, and a slack head angle, it will be pretty forgiving.
You might find typical urban tricks a bit difficult on that type of frame though.
Short chainstays, and a steeper, tighter front end makes manuals and flicking the bike a lot easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've ridden one of these and the 17" chainstays are lame. I also have an Evil Sovereign and its geometry is MUCH better, of course it costs a lot more... there are better high production (inexpensive) street frames out there though...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought the Straight Shot back in November of '05. I love it! I have been beating the hell out of it and have had no problems at all. Riding street, skateparks, dirt jumps and bmx tracks. I did change out the pedals and also put on Kenda K-Rads. Mine has the Manitou Blunt Stance fork. Someone told me that there were alot of problems with that fork but I have not had any. I love the bike and ride the heck out of it. I've wrecked several times and have not hurt anything on it. Even the rear derailuer has taken a few hard shots (and when I say hard shots, hard enough to gouge the metal of the RD) and still works like new. I've had it since November and have had the wheels trued one time. The only other thing was that one of the crank arms loosened enough to where it started to creak. But it was only a few weeks old at that time. Tightened her back on and she's good. I love it. All my other bikes are lonely now and covered with spider webs!

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
It's a low-end entry level fork. Ride it till it breaks, or until your skill level surpasses what the fork can offer you. If it can give you any peace of mind, Suntour manufactures low-end and OEM forks for Marzocchi (not that they hold up very well).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.