Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out on a ride yesterday in the middle of nowhere, and picked up a puncture.

No problem l thought, l'll change the tube and use my new CO2 pump, job done.

So l got the tube out, removed the tiny bit of metal from the tyre, and fitted the new tube.

Screwed the cylinder on to my pump and gave the button a press "to make sure it was working" sure enough a loud hiss of air (well, CO2)

Put it on the valve and pressed the button again.....almost nothing

I'd only expelled all the CO2 from the tiny cylinder "testing" it.

I felt like a proper idiot, fortunately a couple of riders soon appeared and one lent me a pump. After they stopped laughing

Moral is, try out "new" gadgets before using them for real.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My LBS told me a CO2 pump was what l needed, as it was small, light and fast.
"It will inflate a tyre in five seconds" they said. To their credit they did suggest l carry a spare cylinder. But l thought that would defeat the object of it being small and light.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Better moral - Get a pump. Cheaper and generally more reliable in the long run.
Agree.

I get flats maybe once or twice a season. IMO, it's not worth trying to optimize my tube change/reinflation process, given that frequency. If I cared more about weight, I guess I'd get a lighter pump.

Also, I like to have some redundancy. I'll go a long time with no flats and then get two. Or there'll be a problem with my spare tube. Or the CO2 cartridge isn't really big enough for a big honkin' 29er tire. So I was never not going to carry the pump. For me, the choice is really pump only or pump AND C02 thing AND a cartridge.

Though I have thought about one of those pumps that also accepts a CO2 cartridge. I could see that being nice in a race or with a group, without giving up on Plan B.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
My LBS told me a CO2 pump was what l needed, as it was small, light and fast.
"It will inflate a tyre in five seconds" they said. To their credit they did suggest l carry a spare cylinder. But l thought that would defeat the object of it being small and light.
I always tell people that CO2 cartridges are for racers and the weight conscious mainly.

Long term a pump is cheaper and if you have (heaven forbid) more than one puncture on a ride that empty CO2 cartridge will be looking at you all the way home, judging with it's steely metallic glare...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I carry a two CO2 cartridges and the inflator in my pocket on short rides. My main trail is a ten-mile loop and you are never that far from the trailhead. I'd rather risk walking a few miles than carry a lot of stuff on the bike. I have never flatted with tubeless tires in the three years I have been running them...except for "burp flats" from hitting something too hard. A CO2 cartridge takes care of that in a few seconds.

I see a lot of guys with huge hydration packs running the same ten-mile loop. Seriously, I don't even carry water except when it is really, really hot. I just hydrate before the ride and drink some cool water when I get back to the car.

I like a light bike.

For longer rides I add an under-seat pack with two tubes, levers, a multi-tool and a small mini pump. I also have a mini-pump. This is no use inflating tubeless tires and, because it's really small it takes about ten thousand strokes to fill a standard tubed tire.

For really long rides I have a huge under-seat pack with everything in it..

·
Good, green, Oregon.
793 Posts
You know, here is my thing about CO2......what is the point? OK, I get the instant burst of CO2 and how that could really help on a tubeless setup for that instant burst and set of the bead. That said, I have seated tubeless with a floor pump plenty of times, so it certainly is possible. But I also carry a tube, and if my flat is bad enough that I have to fully refill the tire, I probably am needing to put in a tube anyways (ie: sidewall gash, etc). I do get the "race" aspect of CO2 for that quick fix and all, but if you are your average rider out on a 2-5 hour ride, what is the point of CO2? I don't mean to sound condescending or anything, as it is a serious question. I cary a pump and have never needed anything different. You aren't gaining that much on weight in your pack, so what is the deal? Come on CO2 guys, fill me in. What am I missing with carrying my pump in my pack versus CO2?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I see a lot of guys with huge hydration packs running the same ten-mile loop. Seriously, I don't even carry water except when it is really, really hot. I just hydrate before the ride and drink some cool water when I get back to the car.
Ten miles on trail is a fair run. Probably take me close to two hours. ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The CO2 pump is something that a relative beginner like me gets shown in the bike shop, and thinks "oooohhh that is great, a really good idea, and only £20, l will take it"

I still think it is a good idea, but it has the capacity to still leave you stranded if you make a mistake and use up the cartridge.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Let's not forget co2 diminishes in the tire quicker so you need to replace it with o2 when you get home otherwise the tire deflates. I have tubeless so I want the co2 whilst I'm out on the trail so I can reseat the tire if needs be.

I always carry a spare hand pump also. Doesn't weigh anything so ill use that if I'm just topping up air. Probably my most used item apart from multi tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The CO2 cartridge is to refill tubeless tires primarily after you burp some air out. It's quick and works great.

While I'd never go on a long ride in the middle of nowhere without spare tubes and a hand pump, for shorter rides I'll risk getting a sidewall gash or some other non-recoverable tire insult and ride as light as possible.

Stan's sealant is remarkable. I literally have not had a puncture-type flat in three years.

I pay about $2 per cartridge. I use one every month or so. It is worth the money.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The CO2 pump is something that a relative beginner like me gets shown in the bike shop, and thinks "oooohhh that is great, a really good idea, and only £20, l will take it"

I still think it is a good idea, but it has the capacity to still leave you stranded if you make a mistake and use up the cartridge.
And it gives the shop the capacity to sell you more co2 cartridges!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.