Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an opportunity to take a job with the BLM in Monte Vista, CO, what is this place like, the surrounding area's, etc. Looks like it's off the beaten path quiet aways. Closest DH riding? Closest snowboard area? Chics? etc... It's a govt. job with benifits and retirement, sounds nice because of that and the fact its with the BLM Bureau of Land Management. Insider trail spots and hunting locations are a perk ;)

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
From your other post:

Not too far from http://www.wolfcreekski.com/ - nice little ski resort. I imagine for dh you'd need to head towards Durango... Use to be a race in Del Norte, may still have one over there.

Drove through Monte Vista this winter, not much to report. Typical small town with a Walmart from what we could tell. It's in the middle of a big flat dry plain.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only time I've been through Monte Vista is on the way to Wolf Creek or Durango. MV is pretty small, maybe 3 stop lights in the entire town? The biggest town nearby is Alamosa. That's where you'll find your Wal-Mart and other fine shopping spots. ;)

As for knuckledragging....errr....snowboarding :D , Wolf Creek gets the most snow (I believe) in the entire state of CO. So they open super early and have awesome snow year round. Only drawback is they're kinda small. In addition there's Durango Mtn, Silverton Mtn and Telluride in that general area of the state.

I think the best DHing you'll find is on Durango Mountain (lift assisted). Durango has plenty of XC trails all around it with plenty of mtn biking talent in that town (they regularly win Coligiate races). But anyway that whole area is very cool with lots of mountainous terrain, so just like you said, being on the BLM team and all, you should be able to improvise, especially with a DH rig. Actually, you're probably not too far from Angel Fire, NM! I'd hit them up too! Home of the only US stop for the UCI World Cup.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,878 Posts
If you are looking for a remote, out of the way rural location with killer access to everything outdoors, you've found the place, sort of. I would look up the road in Del Norte for a place to live or at least make sure I was close to the river 'cause Monte Vista is more in the valley than in the foothills.

That area goes off in hunting season. If you fish, the river is right there, not to mention all the other creeks and such as you head further west. They've already mentioned Wolf Creek. There are trails in the area, but other than the race course, I haven't ridden any of them. You can find some shuttleable stuff close by.

Chics? I'm guessing it is bring your own kind of town.

Perk - motel with a drive-in movie screen and in-room sound system for guests staying in the East-side rooms.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
Perk - motel with a drive-in movie screen and in-room sound system for guests staying in the East-side rooms.
Is that Monta Vista? I always forget where that little gem is!

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Like others said, not much there...Definitely country living. I've only driven though on my way elsewhere.

But since you will work for BLM, put in a network of trails and make it a mecca. You are in striking distance of Crested Butte, Salida and Durango as well as chama in NM. And a couple hours from Taos.

Good luck with the ladies.

All I remember is that long diagonal hwy along the railroad.

·
SS Rider
207 Posts
Real nice area for almost anything outdoors. My brother was looking at houses down there real small town, great views! As for the single chicks we are all in Colorado Springs LOL ;~)

·
Registered
294 Posts
SilentK said:
I think the best DHing you'll find is on Durango Mountain (lift assisted). Durango has plenty of XC trails all around it with plenty of mtn biking talent in that town (they regularly win Coligiate races). But anyway that whole area is very cool with lots of mountainous terrain, so just like you said, being on the BLM team and all, you should be able to improvise, especially with a DH rig. Actually, you're probably not too far from Angel Fire, NM! I'd hit them up too! Home of the only US stop for the UCI World Cup.
DMR is actually closed to DH bikes...The only time you could ride there was during nationals, and now that those no longer exist in Durango, your SOL if you want to ride there. However, the DH scene and trails around durango are super duper gnar...I'd say they're even scarrier than the actual natty's course...awesome. Plus silverton is just another hour past durango...skiing kicks ass here, as does bike riding. very awesome.

·
Registered
619 Posts
hey, o-hi-o,,,,

from your avatar pic, im guessing your a cleveland guy? im from cincinnati, moved to the springs (colorado springs) just about 2 years ago. no job, no plan, no worries, just sold the house, packed up the stuff adn headed out. took me a year an a half to find work in my field.

COLORADO IS THE BEST! especially if you are from cleve. cincinnati is only a little better than cleve (g-rents are from cleve, used to visit a lot)

MAKE THE MOVE, AT LEAST YOU HAVE A JOB TO GO TO! dont pass this up, if you dont like it, stay in col, but find some thing else!

trust me. the weather is perfect, no humidity, no bugs, no grey clouds from all of sept to april. JUST DO IT

as far as monte vista, i think ive only driven near by thru del norte but im guessing the summers are hotter there than up here. its near the flatter dryer parts of col, but you would be near the mtns to the west tho. adn there are some great 4wd trails down that way too..

JUST DO IT! btw, you know the heirchy of land right? wilderness areas get all the good stuff, national parks get the second best stuff, nat forests come after that, and guess who gets what's left? blm, yup, pretty much all the left over land that no one wants is blm, but hey, like one poser, i mean poster, said, build a ton of trails, adn make little MV a mecca!

seriously, cmon out!

mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.