Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm finally getting around to replacing the xt/td17 wheelset on my sofa king due to weight, reliability (bad batch of xt hubs???) and the availability of a set of mango king hubs at my beloved LBS.

sooooooooooo, looking for all-black rims.
tried:
Velociti Dyads- silver brake surface
DTSwiss- same issue.

what are other options? I'm not the most agressive rider, but something that lasts me a while is important.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Dyads were nice when 29" rims didn't exist, I own 4, and really, we should move away from those undersized rims. way loose fitting, an weekly frustration, at least for me. Going weight for a Dyad is 540g and more (did they even change their Dye after the first 480g proto?)

Talk to your Fisher/Trek dealer about Mustangs. 490g, black and beautiful.

In Europe, 26.5mm wide, 520-530g Rigida Taurus 200 disc-only are still available.

Hope this helps.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cloxxki said:
Dyads were nice when 29" rims didn't exist, I own 4, and really, we should move away from those undersized rims. way loose fitting, an weekly frustration, at least for me. Going weight for a Dyad is 540g and more (did they even change their Dye after the first 480g proto?)

Talk to your Fisher/Trek dealer about Mustangs. 490g, black and beautiful.

In Europe, 26.5mm wide, 520-530g Rigida Taurus 200 disc-only are still available.

Hope this helps.
so, the mustangs are able to be sold individually and not as a whole bontrager 9er wheelset? good to know!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Innocent until proven guilty!
Would they be called Superstock or Racelite if thye were jsut part of the wheelset? I saw some Mustangs at a Fisher shop, with seperately sent Mustangs, so I guess it's true.
Go 36h if you can, though. It adds only 25g or so per wheel, but increases stiffnes by, what? Logic says 10+%, but I'm no wheelbuilder. 36h with double butted spokes is probably even stiffer than 32h and straight spokes. I've overheard on the Wheel forum that with 36h 700c, you can sometimes get away with 4-cross lacing. Don't say afterwards I told you to do it!

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Walt said:
Sun makes an all-black (including the brake track) version of the 700c CR18. They're not the absolute lightest at ~525g, but they're not bad. I think retail is around $30.

-Walt
thanks for the replies.
weight isnt terribly an issue on this bike, and i'm already saving by going from xt to king, and 36 spoke to 32.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
SlowSSer said:
so, the mustangs are able to be sold individually and not as a whole bontrager 9er wheelset? good to know!
If you want a black disc-only 29er rim, and you are interested in the best combination of Price, Weight, Stength, Function, and good looks, I am unaware a better choice currently available than the Bontrager Mustang. Available through any Trek/Fisher dealer.

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cloxxki said:
What's wrong with an LBS for a package as fragile and colossal as rims? No Trek/Fisher dealer in your neighbourhood?
the lbs doing the building is not a trek/fisher/bontrager/klein/lemond dealer. (damn- who else do they now own? tomac?)

think i know of one. will have to pick up the phone. damn.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
What would be wrong with the TD-17's? I'm in the process of building a set with American Classis disc hubs, I've got the front ready for the truing stand. All black, rims, hubs, spokes and nipples.

Steve

Attachments

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
cruzthepug said:
What would be wrong with the TD-17's? I'm in the process of building a set with American Classis disc hubs, I've got the front ready for the truing stand. All black, rims, hubs, spokes and nipples.

Steve
was hoping to gow ith something a little lighter, but the XT/TD17 combo that I currently have has been stellar....(1 year of fairly heavy riding, and they're stiff rather true)

edit: found info on speedgoat about the bontragers. a svelte 460 grams (100 g LIGHTER than the td17s), but 60 bucks a rim?!?!?!?!?! yowza. well, that's one way to make a faster 9er- shave weight off the rotational stuff!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.