Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a while sometimes as early as 6 miles my feet get numb (not from cold). I will not consider Clip Less, they scare the crap out of me. I tried switching to a hiking shoe thinking the sole may be thicker, stiffer and maybe have more cushion in them. That hasn't helped.

I noticed some biking shoes at REI this weekend that come with a plate where the Clip Less connect would go. Does anyone know if using this type pf shoe without Clip Less pedals would work and maybe help?

·
Registered
134 Posts
yeah I have a pair of LG and have not put my clipin pedal on yet. so I still have to stock pedal. they work just fine.

as far as the numb issue. try tying your sneakers a different way. sounds like they are too tight.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
If it's pressure from the pedal, you're on the right track with stiffer soles. I went clipless pretty early on, so I can't make any specific shoe recommendations.

·
Rize Time
31 Posts
lumber825, I wish I had a solution for you. My numbness can occur within the first mile of a ride. I wanted to post and let you know you are not alone. I've had to deal with foot numbness for the past 20+ years.

I've used clipless, many different shoes, been in great shape while riding, been out of shape while riding etc. etc. and nothing eliminates it. I am using platform pedals w/ 5/10 shoes and that has helped a bit and I really like the combo of the platform pedal with the 5/10s.

I found a great podiatrist who has taken x-rays and done extensive study for me (he'd love to get to the bottom of it too). At this point he believes it could be a type of nerve atrophy that occurs with certain individuals. He has prescribed a prescription strength vitamin (I'm not sure but I think it's vitamin D) that has shown to actually help new growth on the effected nerves. To be honest I haven't used it yet. It's a bit pricey and many experts believe that taking supplemental vitamins do nothing more than give you expensive urine.

But if the condition gets to obnoxious (and it always does) this season I may break down and try them for 3 or 4 months to see if it helps. My biggest concern was if it (the numbness) was causing any permanent damage and it seems that it is not.

I feel for you because it sucks and if it's as bad is mine, on long rides it goes from a discomfort to pain and can really take some of the fun out of an otherwise great ride.

I look forward to other posts to see if anybody has come up with something that has eased or eliminated foot numbness.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Just remembered something else...

Over at Rivendell, they don't believe in new technology or fast bikes. They also aren't big fans of foot pain.

The pedal itself will be more rigid than almost any shoe, and it's f'ing huge.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
You might need a new saddle. I'm not an expert but if your fit is wrong the nerves get crushed in the soft tissue around your ass, you'll have the same symptoms. You want your weight on the sit bones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Depends where the numbness is coming from, if it is forefoot and into the toes (particularly between 2nd and third or third and fourth) - common cause is as INeedGears says (or sort of) foot type. getting an off the shelf orthotic +/- metatarsal dome in it helps stop the transverse arch collapsing, squeezing the nerve that sits in between the two met heads. thats where thestig_wj is kind of coming from too. spesh BG shoes have footbeds in them with a wee met dome built in - they also have a forefoot wedge in there which can help depending on your foot type too - you can increase or decrease this with small inserts. depending on your shoe you can even just buy the spesh footbeds that might fit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My feet tend to go numb too. I wear stiff sole cycling shoes for both trail and road riding, and it's the same for both. I don't remember having this problem during my peak riding days of the early 80's. I'm thinking it's just due to me being older and heavier than when I was 15.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lumber825 said:
After a while sometimes as early as 6 miles my feet get numb (not from cold). I will not consider Clip Less, they scare the crap out of me. I tried switching to a hiking shoe thinking the sole may be thicker, stiffer and maybe have more cushion in them. That hasn't helped.

I noticed some biking shoes at REI this weekend that come with a plate where the Clip Less connect would go. Does anyone know if using this type pf shoe without Clip Less pedals would work and maybe help?
Try adjusting your seat heigth. If I do not have mine in just the right spot my right foot goes numb. also make sure it is centered.

·
Registered
420 Posts
lumber825 said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm a Type II Diabetic so "nerve atrophy" may be part of it. I think I'll try a pair of biking shoes and talk to the doc next month when I see him.
I was just going to ask about diabetes when I saw your thread title.

Unfortunately this is a sign that your blood sugar is NOT under control as well as it needs to be.
Nerve damage in your feet is part and parcel with the disease when not managed perfectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.