Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do You Like To Climb?
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not a go-fast part but it sure is pretty.

got this:

to go with this:

to go on this:

Hope it is done for the weekend!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I so badly want that fork for my Slayer. I have the headset and you won't be let down with it. After replacing 4 "others" I figured it was time for the KING.

·
Do You Like To Climb?
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the bike back. Quick pic from yesterday before adjusting the air pressure and taking it for a spin. Gray and raining today. Not sure I will get out.

Many thanks to my LBS. JB Bikes. (also a RM dealer, though now they have me lusting over an Ellsworth)

·
Do You Like To Climb?
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far, the new shox are much easier to set up. The original forks were challenging with the positive and negative air chambers. I had trouble getting the marz setup just right and it seemed they needed attention each ride. The new shox are smooth, though they pogo a bit. I have just one xc ride on them and they are money well spent so far. got them at closeout so the price was well worth it.

Wheels and stem on next on the list. I am amazed at the number of wheel sets to choose. My next wheel set will be a bit wider than the stock 223s. What did you replace yours with?

·
livin' large
534 Posts
I replaced my wheels with handbuilt mavic xm819's on XT hubs, much stonger than stock and at a halfway reasonable price, run tubeless with scwalbe fat alberts

As far as stems and bars I upgraded to a raceface diablous stem and Easton downhill bar in the 31.8 diameter much stiffer no creaks and I like the position much better for the tech trails I ride

Actually there is very little stock now about my slayer, the original parts are front triangle, brake levers, crank arms, shock and fork (both have been rebuilt though), and front derailler.

That being said I've got the bike performing like a champ, and am very happy with it the only thing I would consider now is possibly a repaint as that really shows it's age.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
canadian-clydesdale said:
I replaced my wheels with handbuilt mavic xm819's on XT hubs, much stonger than stock and at a halfway reasonable price, run tubeless with scwalbe fat alberts

As far as stems and bars I upgraded to a raceface diablous stem and Easton downhill bar in the 31.8 diameter much stiffer no creaks and I like the position much better for the tech trails I ride

Actually there is very little stock now about my slayer, the original parts are front triangle, brake levers, crank arms, shock and fork (both have been rebuilt though), and front derailler.

That being said I've got the bike performing like a champ, and am very happy with it the only thing I would consider now is possibly a repaint as that really shows it's age.
Those wheels last for ages, mine are still running smoothly after 6 years but I think it must be some kind of fluke cos I've got the same hubs on another bike and they didn't make a month.

And come on Canadian-Clydesdale, I want to see your bike with all these nice upgrades.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.