Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but haven't come up with much. My wife wants to get me an indoor trainer for christmas so I can continue to ride and not get fat. Requirements: Money, looking at the $ $150 range. Needs to be fairly quiet, small house and baby. Some people complain about their trainer being loud and since I have never had one, I don't know what "loud" is, as it is a matter of perception. It also needs to be able to switch bikes easily as we would both use it. Would a rim drive be better for this? I don't like the idea of a rim drive (slipage, wearing out rims vs. a tire, that sort of thing).

Again, I would love to put up the cash for something like the Kurt Kinetic that a lot of people swear by, but we don't have the cash. So please give me some feedback. Do I need to go fluid or is magnetic good enough? Do I need the little adjuster thing on the handlebars? Are the discount internet store trainers junk (nashbar, minoura, performance, etc)? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Second the fluid trainer. You don't need the handle bar mount adjuster (these are for magnetic trainers). Don't know about the internet store brand trainers, I am quite happy with my cycleops, but they are not cheep.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Check Craig's list. I picked up a like new Kenitics trainer for $200, and then a week later there was another one for $125.

It's super quiet, love it. And as for a handlebar adjuster thingy, I don't know what you are talking about. I just took my commuter/HT, put a super slick on the back, a phone book under the front tire, got out the HRM,the iPod, and a box fan, and I'm good to go.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I have the CycleOps fluid. I got it about 7-8 years ago and it's still going great. It's reasonably quiet, but a lot of that comes from the fact that I ride on it with slicks.

Tip: keep the heatsink from getting skin-scorchingly hot by placing a small fan next to it and blowing cool air over it. You definitely wouldn't want a baby (or an ankle) coming in contact with one after a good session.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
the elite line up has a elastomer roller that's significantly quieter than most other fluid trainers. check craigslist for fluid trainers from a name brand. sorry but $150 isn't going to buy too much in the trainer world, i'd budget $300 or so.

to everyone else, the handle bar adjuster thing he's talking about are remote resistance adjusters for mag trainers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up a magnetic Minoura a month or so ago from Craiglist for $50. It's a few years old, but in great shape. I've had no problems with it so far - ride is smooth, noise is very reasonable.

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the feedback. Can anyone tell me why the cheaper ones suck? Is it quality issues? Does the resistance feel awkward? I guess I might need more of a solid argument with my wife when she asks

"why do you need the $400 one over the $100 one?"

"because the people on MTBR said the $100 one sucks."

know what I mean?:)

Also, a couple of you said that the handle bar mount thingy is for magnetic trainers. The nashbar fluid trainer has a remote resistance thing too, so I'm not sure who is wrong here. Linky

A few have mentioned craigslist. I'm really jealous of your area's craigslist. I never see anything of value in my local CL, let alone, a decent deal.

Thanks for everyone's input. I don't think it's going to happen if we have to spend double what we originally thought was going to be the damage.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
Minoura Doesn't Suck

If I ever needed to replace my Minoura I'd pick up one of the ones that Nashbar has for like $70 in a heartbeat. Its basically the same model I bought 10 yrs ago for ~$150 that is still going strong.

The only way I'd drop more than ~$150 on a trainer is to get a nice set of rollers.

I prefer mag resistance to fluid.

The gripe I have with some Nashbar and Performance brand trainers is that they're not stable and/or flimsy.

The bar mount levers are useless. I've got one on a fluid trainer and if anything it makes it harder to adjust it.

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
Just something to think about. Are you prepared to ride a trainer indoors? Have you ever done it, like at a gym or something? It's sweaty and very boring (and pretty noisy in my experience, depends on flooring somewhat). Not my cup of tea I discovered...might be worth trying it before you buy something you might end up not using.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
The handle bar adjuster is a waste of effort and money. If you want to increase resistance, shift to a larger gear.

Here's a simplistic breakdown as to the 3 basic types of trainers:

Wind: cheap, good resistance, but very loud
Mag: mid-priced, quiet, but not the best resistance feel
Fluid: quiet, great resistance, but expensive

Also, when it comes to fluids, don't go as cheap as possible. Not all heatsinks are made equally, and the last thing you want is one that, due to many cycles of heating and cooling, eventually fails at the weld or seals.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the Nashbar Mag Plus and am happy with it. The resistance range is good, and pretty darn smooth for my money. I can spin a middle gear, or crank the resistance and get out of the saddle in the big ring. Mine has gone strong for almost 2 years now. It is quiet, especially compared to wind trainers that I have heard. My wife has a Minoura, which is OK, but the Nashbar seems a bit nicer.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=18828

Sure, I'd like the top of the line trainer, but for the money, the Nashbar satisfies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My wife just bought me a Travel Trac Century fluid trainer from performance. Got if for like $120 with coupon discounts. It's my first one but it's not too loud and has a nice progressive feel to it,

·
2,548 Posts
I have an old (like, REALLY old !!!!) trainer from Nashbar - straight-up bare bones wind-trainer (no fluid or mag trainers back when I bought this....I think it was '82-ish) ..... still works flawlessly to this day, although I don't use it as much as I did in years gone by.....but it sits in my basement set up with an old ht with a slick on back.
To echoe an above post, yeah, they are sweaty (no evaporation of sweat from "wind" like you would on the road) and can be mind-numbingly boring. I'll usually have the tv on or listen to music.....can't stand to ride in place for any length of time.

Sorry I can't comment on the mags or fluids, but they do offer a great alternative to outdoor riding if your winter weather is brutal :cool:

·
Registered
810 Posts
medicman

I have been looking at getting the same travel trac trainer as the one that you have, I was wondering whether you thought that there was enough resistance with this model and if you felt a big different in resistance when you switch gears on your bike. I have read on a few customer reviews online people saying they weren't sure if there would be enough resistance if they were in shape -- just wondering what your opinion was so far. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts