Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bumped into a Rat Ride at Over the Edge in Hurricane Ut. the other day and kinda want to pick it up. I have wanted a Pug forever but to put together with these components would run a chunk of change more than the $1100.00 they are asking. So will I be happy with the Rat Ride and it's 24" wheels with the option to go 650b or should I wait and save up for Pug? I don't want to end up with a bike and wished I had gone for the "real deal" the whole time I'm riding it.

Anyone have one and love it?

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
I rode one of those and it wasn't a Pugsley substitute, but alot of fun to cruise around the parking lot on. I suggest you try both and make up your own mind. However it really depends on how, where, and why you will be riding.

·
Stubby-legged
1,302 Posts
Hey, Mini

That's my bike!:D
I have switched the 1x1 back to a...uh..1x1. I bought another Pugs frame and I'm into another build-up. The StubPugs was a great,no, make that GREAT snow bike experiment. It is not as good as a Pugs,but it's close.
I really missed the ride of my 1x1. I stripped the Carver down and swapped out the Lefty, tubeless crossmax wheels, and shimanos discs. Put on some lights, stapped on my helmet and cranked out in the woods! Heaven again.:D :thumbsup: :D
Save up for a full on Pugs, or Fatback,or 9:zero:7...or custom snowbike. You won't regret waiting for the real thing.

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
MiniTrail said:
I really like that bike 1spd and my wallet would certainly be much happier with it! :D
It's still one of the most flexible bikes out there just comes up a little well, short in the fat bike department.
I'd be interested in how much 1speed1way spent on his 1x1 to convert it to a PUG like ride. You may be surprised on how much extra was spend / barrowed on that 1x1. Might bring the cost closer to a budget pug.

Have you thought about cannibalizing one of your other mountain bikes? You can save alot of money swapping parts from a standard bike to a PUG frame/fork/wheels. If you are fruggle, and shop online for sales you can build a PUG crazy cheep.

I started a spreadsheet that shows all the parts I needed. I then started filling in parts from older bikes that would work. I then added parts I had to buy (i.e. e-type front derailleur).

Personally, you can't own enough bikes, so I wish I picked up an Anniversary Rat Ride, when SpeedGoat were selling them on-sale.

·
Stubby-legged
1,302 Posts
racertxi

I figure I had about $1000 in parts, pieces and labor. The wheels were the most. Non-offset,xt for hubs, both front and rear. I cannabilized a couple of bikes for donor parts. Tires were close-outs. D-hanger was about $40. Straight Pugs fork-$100.
The only really specific parts were the Fork, wheelset and Endo tire.let's round that stuff to about $650.
Orange 1x1 frames are dirt cheap. Go to your LBS, I repeat, GO to your LBS. They helped me and cut deals and adjusted shifting.
(This is the deep threatening Voice" Go buy a 1x1, NOW!")

1 - 7 of 7 Posts