Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new fork and am curious about the new Manitou Minutes, the Super SPV in particular. I wasn't able to find anything on the newer models on the fork review section, so if anybody could give me some feedback, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've got an 05 Minute 3, SPV and IT adjust. The fork is light, feels great, handles great BUT the IT has given out on me twice, the second time I had it repaired under warranty so hopefully won't give out again. While it was being fixed I switched to my Marzocchi mx pro, which performs just as well but is noticeably heavier. Manitou service is top notch though, so keep your receipt. They will help you out if something goes wrong.

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
I have a Manitou Black Super Air SPV and I love it. It weighs 3.2lbs and with the SPV Volume control you can adjust the progression and bottoming out resistance. With this you can run the SPV lower for small bumps and still get a ramping up of the travel on bigger ones. The Black seems to be a lmost the same as the Minute except for maybe damping. Both have 30mm stancions.

David

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
D-Avid said:
The Black seems to be almost the same as the Minute except for maybe damping. Both have 30mm stancions.

David
Since the 2006 model year the Minutes were made with 32mm. stanchions. That said, I had one of the original Minute 3:00 forks with 30mm. stanchions and it was a very good fork. Even though it was 130mm. travel fork it was very stiff. I only changed it to get a longer travel Nixon.

trojaninsomniac said:
I'm looking for a new fork and am curious about the new Manitou Minutes, the Super SPV in particular. I wasn't able to find anything on the newer models on the fork review section, so if anybody could give me some feedback, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
In my opinion the 2007 Minutes are almost the same as the 2006 Nixons, except 140mm. travel instead of 145mm. and different damping systems. The Super with SPV looks like a great fork and I wouldn't hesitate buying one if I wanted a 140mm. fork with SPV. It would be my first choice. The SPV works well but you need to find what works best for you. More SPV pressure results in less bobbing but less small bump compliance and vise versa. The weight of the Super is also very low at 3.6lbs.

As already mentioned, there were problems with early versions of forks with IT. My first Nixon was a 2005 Platinum and I had to send it back with IT problems. I have just replaced it with a 2006 Nixon Super with TPC+.

Ronnie.

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
Ronnie said:
Since the 2006 model year the Minutes were made with 32mm. stanchions. That said, I had one of the original Minute 3:00 forks with 30mm. stanchions and it was a very good fork. Even though it was 130mm. travel fork it was very stiff. I only changed it to get a longer travel Nixon.

In my opinion the 2007 Minutes are almost the same as the 2006 Nixons, except 140mm. travel instead of 145mm. and different damping systems. The Super with SPV looks like a great fork and I wouldn't hesitate buying one if I wanted a 140mm. fork with SPV. It would be my first choice. The SPV works well but you need to find what works best for you. More SPV pressure results in less bobbing but less small bump compliance and vise versa. The weight of the Super is also very low at 3.6lbs.

As already mentioned, there were problems with early versions of forks with IT. My first Nixon was a 2005 Platinum and I had to send it back with IT problems. I have just replaced it with a 2006 Nixon Super with TPC+.

Ronnie.
Sorry abut the 30mm thing. I happened to come across a advertisement in a mag and it mentioned the 2006 Minutes have 32's.

David

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have been running minute II's for 2 years now and I have had no problems what so ever.
I have ran them pretty hard in some cases and have taken 3-4 foot drops in other's and they are still proving to be an excellent fork even with my countless hours of XC on top of the AM that I love to do. It is my 3rd Manitou fork over a 6 year span. I never up graded due to lack of performance, I have always upgraded to a newer model and sold the old one.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I have had a couple of 30mm Minute 1:00 forks and liked them both. They have quite a range of adjustability, but are in a slightly odd range at present for my use. 130mm was a tad short for my Giant Reign, so I now run an All Mountain 1. The SPV is effective, but does sacrifice a small amount of small bump sensitivity.

All in all, a good fork, especially for the price you can get some of them at these days.

·
Registered
327 Posts
SPV to me was worthless......i couldnt stand my minute 1 but it might be a good fork for someone who doesnt like a plush ride.

i went with a fox vanilla and love it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
ROG30Y said:
SPV to me was worthless......i couldnt stand my minute 1 but it might be a good fork for someone who doesnt like a plush ride.

i went with a fox vanilla and love it.
Some people like SPV others don't. Some like Terralogic others don't.

You also have the option of a coil sprung Minute (like your Vanilla) with TPC damping which is considered to be very plush.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
trojaninsomniac said:
I'm going to see if I can test ride some bikes with the Minutes on them this coming weekend. I really appreciate all the responses!
Be careful going into bike shops and test riding a bike just because it has the fork you're interested on it. A poorly set up fork could give you the completely wrong impression. I have found that guys sell these forks because they are speced. as OEM on bikes, but they don't understand them.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Ronnie

Appreciate all your input! Been out of riding for the past three years because of injuries. A lot has changed over the years with shocks and stuff, so I'm trying to re-educate myself. There's a guy up on her sales desk that's running an 06 Nixon, so he's gonna help me out with this! Thanks, again, for your feedback!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.