Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont see much being said about the kona dawg deluxe. trouble is i had wittled my list done to a handfull of frames ie 2006 s-works enduro, sc heckler, commencal meta 5. but i have possibly found a great deal on a dawg deluxe frame 2nd hand. i cant get a test ride on a dawg so i have to rely on feedback. if i can get a super deal is it worth going for or are my other choices worth all the extra cash.
my second question, is the dawg frame from a stripped down rig gonna be the same as a new frame only buy. many companys seem to sell their frame only rigs with different spec ie lighter.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Same frame, just check what shock it's sold with. The Dawg is a good all around bike with the right angles for going up and down, but because of that it excels in neither climbing or descending. Essentially, it's the epitome of an all-mountain bike. My wife has a Dawg and loves it for trail riding.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
As good as

juan pablo said:
i dont see much being said about the kona dawg deluxe. trouble is i had wittled my list done to a handfull of frames ie 2006 s-works enduro, sc heckler, commencal meta 5. but i have possibly found a great deal on a dawg deluxe frame 2nd hand. i cant get a test ride on a dawg so i have to rely on feedback. if i can get a super deal is it worth going for or are my other choices worth all the extra cash.
my second question, is the dawg frame from a stripped down rig gonna be the same as a new frame only buy. many companys seem to sell their frame only rigs with different spec ie lighter.
Kona are great frames with good price, unbeatable if you get the end of season deals, and good performance.

The faux-bar/single-pivot they come with is nothing special, and it has problems in respect to better designs, but they are as good as most faux-bar out there (and they are a lot thanks to the Specialized property right on the Horst). You have to get a Ventana to find a better built faux-bar then a Kona.

Having said all that, if I were you I would get an Iron Horse 2006 for a similar price

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
davide
the dawg i am lookin at is second hand and could be a great bargain if i can nail it.
i personaly think the kona frames in the uk are really expensive, as expensive as a santa cruz heckler with a DHX 5.0 upgrade just to mention one. the 2006 kona frames are still pricy and the 2006 s-works enduro with DHX 5.0 upgrade comes in cheaper by £50.
i am considering the second hand kona purely cause i might get an epic bargain but no matter how good the bargain is its money wasted if not well spent
i am pretty cheezy my lbs cant offer test rides on their konas:madman:

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
juan pablo said:
davide
the dawg i am lookin at is second hand and could be a great bargain if i can nail it.
i personaly think the kona frames in the uk are really expensive, as expensive as a santa cruz heckler with a DHX 5.0 upgrade just to mention one. the 2006 kona frames are still pricy and the 2006 s-works enduro with DHX 5.0 upgrade comes in cheaper by £50.
i am considering the second hand kona purely cause i might get an epic bargain but no matter how good the bargain is its money wasted if not well spent
i am pretty cheezy my lbs cant offer test rides on their konas:madman:
... you might be able to find a Kona (or Iron Horse) on the USA market that might sell for very cheap. A quick search on the usa e-bay popped up some new 2007 Kona dawg frames at $900. Randall Scott has come amazing deals (and I mean amazing like 40-50% off) on complete Iron Horse http://www.rscycle.com/ But I don't know about shippment to UK

As far as trying the bike ... I don't know, my experience is that unless you can REALLY try the bike (2-3 days swapping parts) going for a spin is quite a waste of time.

Oh ... you might also look into Ventana. They are much more expensive but it is not unfrequent that you find a frame for around $1400 which is not many english pounds!

·
Addicted 2 building trail
124 Posts
I've had my Dawg Dee-lux for 14 months now. It is my first full suspension bike and I love it. I rented one for three days in Moab and was so taken with it that I bought an end of season deal. It is a good climber and it just feels like it wants to play. I am always looking for things to jump off and it handles the steep and technical very well.

Anyway, it feels like a strong bike. All the pivots are still free of play even though I've been riding hard and muddy.

I recommend the Dawg

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good to hear you dig your dawg stu
i wish i good get a good ride on one from my lbs. thats what sucks cause i am lookin for a strong ride with good all round potential but with the type of riding i am doing now, shorter harder, i want something fun. still gotta take the hits which often are just me not being smooth. but i want to get on a bike and say wow this is what i am looking for. when i tested the stumpy fsr i thought it handled great but it felt boring. i got a hardtail for xc rides so i dont want something similiar, even if it is fs.
cheers for da feedback

·
Registered
829 Posts
Dawg

I ownwed a Dawg Deluxe for a Year enjoyed the bike all though it was a little to large for me.

Stand over is quite tall, and the top tube quite long, I am 5 ft 9 1/2 and the LBS sold me a 18 .....I think 17 would have been better. but it hadled and rode well.

FWIW i found the bike a lot nicer with a coil shock than the Air.I fited a Manitou swinger coil 4 way, and it was far better than the RP3 IMHO.

Attachments

·
Addicted 2 building trail
124 Posts
I'm about 175 lbs (12 1/2 Stone) and 5ft 10 (1m 77cm). I ride a 18" frame, it felt big and high at first, but I don't notice that any more. I shortened up the stem and the bars, & that made a lot of difference.

I admit I haven't tried many other FS bikes. I spent a day on a Blur and I think the Dawg is a stronger climber.

I don't feel the urge to get another bike, except that this bike is making me jump bigger stuff and I sometimes dream of getting a Stinky or a Coilair.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
I'm riding an 05 Dawg Primo, and it's a fantastic bike. Getting it tuned in was the most important thing, and once tuned in with the proper suspension, it just tears through anything out there.

Very much a good at everything, great at nothing kind of bike. Perfect for AM riding.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
TheBigC said:
I personally don't care for the geometry. It feels "slow" to me. Nto the worst bike I've ridden, but I've ridden a lot more bikes that I liked more.
This is where it's good to get different perspectives and, of course, the terrain each of us rides varies. I really have grown to love slacker angles on the steep descents we ride, so my Bear is about as steep as I'd go for an xc bike. Even on the tight and twisty, it feels good for me. It's totally about rider preferences though.

EB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.