Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding single speeds for the last 4 years in various forms. Most of the time I have just guessed on set up etc and it has worked OK- everything from half links, to using chain retention systems to using sliders- but I decided I needed to get some help.

Was hoping to get some feed back on chains-
I have a salsa gear front ring and a Niner (or king cog depending on trail)- What kind of chain would you use for this kind of set up?

The frame has slider drop outs if that helps.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
paco664 said:
i have been running a beefy half-link chain and i love it... haven't had a single drop......

first, that chain is on backwards. half-link chains are meant to be directional.

second, is that a KMC Pintle chain? half-link chains are notorious for stretching like rubber, but those Pintle chains have a horrible track record for snapping on most people within two weeks. it's a ticking time bomb on your bike.

·
3,707 Posts
mack_turtle said:
first, that chain is on backwards. half-link chains are meant to be directional.

second, is that a KMC Pintle chain? half-link chains are notorious for stretching like rubber, but those Pintle chains have a horrible track record for snapping on most people within two weeks. it's a ticking time bomb on your bike.
paco664 said:
yeah... but they aren't near as pretty.....
I don't think function is his primary goal.

·
beware the grammar police
753 Posts
mack_turtle said:

yes... its a KMC pintle chain.... and it has ~250 miles on it with no problem at all .... as for directional i saw nothing on the chain giving a direction of motion......seems like if it was that important they would mark it...... it will continue to function "backwards".......

i am very satisfied with the performance it has given and will purchase another when this one wears out...... thanks for your concern....

·
753 Posts
mack_turtle said:
if primary goal is loosing teeth on the trail, by all means, continue to use a "pretty" chain.
one other thing...... i have broken many chains riding... THIS one is the only one that has held up with me beating on it.... i am a "Clydesdale" @ 6'3'' and ~226 *(as of this morning) and i must say this chain has been trouble free since i installed it and i would recommend it to anyone in need of a good chain.......

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
that's wild. i talked to the owner of a BMX shop and they said that within one month, they sold 10 of those and all ten came back either snapped or stretched so bad they could not be ridden. and this was mostly from 13 year-old bmx riders.

·
753 Posts
mack_turtle said:
that's wild. i talked to the owner of a BMX shop and they said that within one month, they sold 10 of those and all ten came back either snapped or stretched so bad they could not be ridden. and this was mostly from 13 year-old bmx riders.
wow... those children must generate much more peddling power than i can.....

amazing... you think you could go there and get autographs for me??

well......... all i know is that my 226 pound self has beat the snot out of this bike for 250 or so miles of nasty single track without a single issue of breakage or stretching.....

how bout you buy one for yourself and try it instead of listening to "the owner of a bmx shop''.... the owner of my LBS likes these and has installed them on several non-bmx bikes being ridden by adults.... big ones like me.... who peddle really hard...

or better yet quit trying to impress me with your second hand knowledge and stop derailling the OP's thread?

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
I don't need to stick my hand in a fire to know it's hot.

I tried buying one, that's how I found out about their reputation. the shop owner Tom at www.empirebmx.com regularly writes a tech column for Dig BMX Magazine and he has been in the industry for decades, so I trust his opinion. he said he stopped selling them and sent them back to the manufacturer after so many of them broke, so he didn't have any to sell me anyways. I have also read dozens of reports of them snapping on bmx bikes on some of the bmx message boards that i read and a few friends have had some nasty crashes when the chain snapped on them without warning.

it could be that since modern bmx bikes have tiny 9t and 10t drivers, they are putting more stress on chains. BMX has been using half-link chains for a long time now (The Shadow Conspiracy Interlock got that trend started) and it's a very controversial issue for bmx riders. in general, we find that half-link chains stretch a LOT faster than a normal chain. I inherited a KHE Collapse half-link chain from a friend and it would not even work on my bike. after riding it for a few weeks, it was stretched so far that it would not register on a Park chain checker tool. the side plates tend to flatten under pressure, accelerating the stretch.

this is interesting: http://www.lfgss.com/thread27147.html do a search for reviews of this chain and you find consistent horror stories about it snapping at random. your experience is an anomaly.

the direction issue is to avoid bending the plates during a grind if you miss, but the same would apply to striking a rock or going over a tall log on the trail.

if it's holding up for you, that's great. just don't say I didn't warn you when it explodes while you're barreling down a hill 10 miles out.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
KMC K810. I've snapped 4 separate SRAM 9-speed gold powerlinks - actually snapped the plates in half. I like to run my chains a little looser than it seems other people do, though, so I think the extra side-to-side wobble of a loose chain is to blame for that. As long as you keep constant tension on the powerlinks (like with a tensioner or on a geared bike) they seem to be fine. I stuck with them for so long because they were light, but after snapping my last one and ending up on the couch for two weeks with an infected bursa sac in my knee I switched to the KMC. Their master link locks shut in a more positive way, and I've had no problems since.

·
753 Posts
oh... found the box... its not a KMC... its a acu-something or other... i am 300 miles north riding santos today.....

tack on another 20 hard miles of trouble free usage.... *(wife was riding that bike and i was on the other SS 29er..)......

·
up n over
407 Posts
Paco, there weren't directions but its still backwards.
Good thing its not a pintle tho, I ran a shadow chain for a couple years on my trials bike (one of the few south Floridians to ride dedicated trials), after it was stretched beyond belief I
picked up a pintle from the shop I worked at and it snapped within a month...
I run a kmc 810sl now and have been pretty happy.
other than those all my other bikes now run 990 cross step srams.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.