Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is no dedicated transition forum so i am trying a post here to get some feedback.
i have posted a thread for recommendations on using a 4x to suit my riding needs.
i was looking mainly at the SC 4x. the commencal 4x is unsuitable for my height, 6'2".
i had a suggestion for a cannondale which i will look into but i cant say i have ever been keen on them, no direspect.
but i also got big up recommendations for the transition preston. i have looked into the uk prices and they are really competative, way less than SC 4x frames.
i have read the review section and some riders have fitted a pike 454 which is what i have. is the frame well suited to this lengh of fork? my other question is how does it climb? i am coming from a xc hardtail with intentions of a lighter build with the aim of AM riding, i love a good climb and of coarse the big DH. i love to jump and i am working on my drop offs, hence my eagerness for the preston. at the end of the day i want what every rider wants - the perfect one bike. by mostly i want something fun and thats what every preston owner says about their rig. in fact i didnt read one bad report. i did notice that most of the reviews are for older frames the prestons i am looking at are fitted with dhx 5 coil or air.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Judging by the type of riding you are describing, the Preston is perfect for you! I'd email the guys at Transition themselves, [email protected], and get their opinion as well based on your size and riding style. My wife has a Bottle Rocket and I have a Dirtbag frame that I am building up next week, they are great bikes and a good rider-owned company. The '07 Preston has a modified frame design allowing for the use of longer stroke shocks, so now you can get them with the DHX 5.0 and Air. The '07s are available at the end of this month, I believe, so you won't see any reviews yet. I've talked to alot of people with Prestons out here, and they all love them!

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yip, i just got off the phone to the uk supplier and the suspension has been modified. they will be available mid feb. i am 6'2" so they recommend the large frame with a coil shock. dont know about the coil shock for my current ability level but may have to think long term. i still would dig feedback on fitting a pike 454 coil u-turn but will e-mail the boys at transition. from what i ahve read it sounds perfect. i like the sound of the covert and it might be good for now i am only concerned if i progress my freeride skills. the best part is the price, super competitive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.