Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Moab in October. Rented bikes the last 2 times there and had a great time, but at times wished I was on my own steed.

Thinking of shipping my ride to a LBS or my hotel. What have been your experiences with sending your p+j in a cardboard box 2k miles across the country?

Thanks, R

·
alien exchange student
106 Posts
I Fedex my bike a few times per year

Howdy, the Fedex route is at least as good as your friendly airline handlers. I use a Trico hard case and that definitely ads to the piece of mind but I've never had a problem with Fedex. UPS, on the other hand, handed me some pathetic customer service a few years back. They delivered both the bike and the box, just not together.

Without a hard case, just pick a good box (not already beaten) and pack it really well. Pick up some packing stuff from your LBS. They'll have cute little bits that come on the new bikes they get. There are pieces to go on the hubs, rear derailleur etc. I use my Roach pads to protect the tubes and often use some stove-pipe insulation as well. Cover every single corner of the bike with a healthy amount of packing tape to help minimize the friction damage caused by tossing/sliding the box. Also, tape around the cutout handles to minimize the tearing that happens sometimes.

Make sure you let the bike shop know before hand and bring them a six pack if you really want them to love you.

Cheers!

Mel

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
ride-the-slide said:
Heading to Moab in October. Rented bikes the last 2 times there and had a great time, but at times wished I was on my own steed.

Thinking of shipping my ride to a LBS or my hotel. What have been your experiences with sending your p+j in a cardboard box 2k miles across the country?

Thanks, R
Agree with RiderMel. Fed Ex is the way to go. Use a Trico Iron case. I did that when I went to Moab in May and it went great. $35 from Santa Cruz to Moab with $4K insurance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.