Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meanwhile, following a quarterly e-MTB roundtable with federal agencies on March 14, the BPSA said they expect the National Park Service (NPS) to reissue in the next few months revised guidance on electric bikes that will allow greater leniency in the interpretation of Class 1 and 3 e-bikes as bicycles. In a memo, Pizzi, the chair of the e-bike committee at BPSA, said the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is considering following suit and the National Forest Service is apparently under pressure from the National Ski Areas Association to create a new definition of e-bikes separate from motorized vehicles. These policy shifts could be the first moves toward e-MTBs gaining access not only at bike parks, but on a wide swath of public lands.

"It's unfolding as we speak," said Pizzi.

https://www.rei.com/blog/cycle/mammoths-trailblazing-path-for-electric-mountain-bikes

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to quote the entire article, but that would be unfair to Mr. Gully who did a fantastic job of reporting. Here is another snippet though:
"There is a lot of misinformation," said Janelle Walker, the U.S. Forest Service representative who oversaw the approval process at Mammoth. "Generally life behind bars is not aware of the different classes of e-bikes and that leads to the assumption that they are more similar to motorcycles [than bicycles]."

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
It would make a ton of sense to let local districts control things as they see fit. Got a crowded trail system with bad sight lines and a ton of users? Don't allow e-bikes. Got a wide-open system (Moab) or a ski area with directional trails (ie Mammoth)? Let them ride it all.

Ski areas are really a no-brainer. Nobody rides up the singletrack (in most cases it's not even allowed with a few exceptions) and it's already a lift-served bike park. Nobody is causing anybody a problem with their e-bike on a deforested slope served by giant electric chairlifts. You could really probably allow dirtbikes with no real impact on users or the environment in most of the ski area bikeparks, though you'd have to make an effort to keep the mouth-breathing ones from climbing up DH trails.

-Walt

·
Cat Herder
4,730 Posts
I would love to quote the entire article, but that would be unfair to Mr. Gully who did a fantastic job of reporting. Here is another snippet though:
"There is a lot of misinformation," said Janelle Walker, the U.S. Forest Service representative who oversaw the approval process at Mammoth. "Generally life behind bars is not aware of the different classes of e-bikes and that leads to the assumption that they are more similar to motorcycles [than bicycles]."
False quotes will get you nothing but banned. If you wish to have honest discussions about the subject you should expect to have slight of hand pointed out.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
In my opinion, it makes sense to allow electric motorized bikes in mountain bike parks.

I would hope the electric motorized bike riders have learned some lessons and absorbed the wisdom shared by the many mountain biking advocates that frequent this website and forum. One thing that concerns me, I'm speaking from a local perspective, is the lack of any organized electric motorized bike rider advocacy group.

If legislation is passed that grants individual land managers the power to make local decisions as far as electric motorized bike access on the trails they manage, I personally see many missed opportunities that electric motorized bike riders have cost themselves by simply not representing themselves.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Very good and positive article about ebikes.

In my opinion, it makes sense to allow electric motorized bikes in mountain bike parks.

I would hope the electric motorized bike riders have learned some lessons and absorbed the wisdom shared by the many mountain biking advocates that frequent this website and forum. One thing that concerns me, I'm speaking from a local perspective, is the lack of any organized electric motorized bike rider advocacy group.

If legislation is passed that grants individual land managers the power to make local decisions as far as electric motorized bike access on the trails they manage, I personally see many missed opportunities that electric motorized bike riders have cost themselves by simply not representing themselves.
I can tell your stance on ebikes simply by this quote "electric motorized bike riders". Why can't you simply call it an ebike or emtb? Yes, we all know it has a motor, please don't point out the obvious.

Ebikes sales are growing each year and I see more ebikes on the trails every month. I'm sure most ebike riders sees themselves as simply just another mountain biker. Why fracture our group? Ban together, unit and make the MTB community bigger and stronger! This is just my opinion as a long time mountain bike rider!

·
Cycologist
10,309 Posts
Very good and positive article about ebikes.

I can tell your stance on ebikes simply by this quote "electric motorized bike riders". Why can't you simply call it an ebike or emtb? Yes, we all know it has a motor, please don't point out the obvious.

Ebikes sales are growing each year and I see more ebikes on the trails every month. I'm sure most ebike riders sees themselves as simply just another mountain biker. Why fracture our group? Ban together, unit and make the MTB community bigger and stronger! This is just my opinion as a long time mountain bike rider!
We do it due to the large number of ebikers and the industry who push for them to be referred as bicycles. As soon as that stops, we'll refer to them as ebikes or emtbs. And "ebike" does stand for electric motor bike btw, so it is reality, not sure why that would bother you.

There is a difference between "regulated as bicycles" and actually being a bicycle, no matter how it is worded.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
We do it due to the large number of ebikers and the industry who push for them to be referred as bicycles. As soon as that stops, we'll refer to them as ebikes or emtbs. And "ebike" does stand for electric motor bike btw, so it is reality, not sure why that would bother you.

There is a difference between "regulated as bicycles" and actually being a bicycle, no matter how it is worded.
When you say "we" I strongly don't believe all mountain bike riders feel like the vocal few on this website. I've only been on an ebike for several months and I don't see the negativity in the real world as I see here.

A class 1 emtb is an electric bicycle. The word electric implies there is a motor. Saying twice seems ignorant.

The article states class 1 ebikes have similar land impact as a mountain bike. Areas that allow ebikes are not reporting anymore trail user conflicts or trail damage. As ebikes gain more access, these facts will be proven more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cycologist
10,309 Posts
When you say "we" I strongly don't believe all mountain bike riders feel like the vocal few on this website. I've only been on an ebike for several months and I don't see the negativity in the real world as I see here.

A class 1 emtb is an electric bicycle. The word electric implies there is a motor. Saying twice seems ignorant.

The article states class 1 ebikes have similar land impact as a mountain bike. Areas that allow ebikes are not reporting anymore trail user conflicts or trail damage. As ebikes gain more access, these facts will be proven more.

You seem to be uncomfortable with the fact that ebikes have motors. And nowhere in my post was I negative about ebikes, just staying facts. I didn't say anything about trail damage and never have.

Delve deeper into what cyclist really think about ebikes beyond people you briefly meet and you may find things are different than your current perception. Most I've talked to aren't really negative toward them, they just realize that they are different than bicycles and don't appreciate people wanting to modify the very definition of our sport to accommodate people who want to say "ebikes are bicycles; bicycles now have motors". I wouldn't play miniature golf and then tell people I played golf; I wouldn't play table tennis and tell people I played tennis. I'm not meaning to demean ebiking here, just saying they are not cycling/mountain biking; they are something different. I really don't understand why so many ebikers want to insist they are bicycles; I can only think of two possible reasons, they aren't really comfortable with admitting they're no longer bicycling or they want them lumped together to gain more access. What's wrong with just saying that you are ebiking? If someone was telling everyone that they rode a bicycle across the whole US and you later found out it was an ebike, do you really think they were being 100% honest?

Trails are a lot different here on the east coast than they are where you are. As Walt said above, where it is a lot wider and more open space without a lot of users, I think ebikes are ok. I really think ebikes will cause a lot more user conflict in areas similar to where I am. We'll see.

Reactions: radair

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

The most usual ride-by comment I get is "I need to get one of those"; said to me yeaterday by a 20-something rider.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The most usual ride-by comment I get is "I need to get one of those"; said to me yeaterday by a 20-something rider.
As a fit thirty year old, I want one, it's way down the list of bikes to buy, but they are legal in my area. The training benefits they can provide are above and beyond any other bike when it comes to heart rate zone training.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
But saying a cycle with a motor that assists in moving it is a bicycle when the definition of a bicycle is that it is purely human powered is not a "typical word game"; got it. Again, why can't someone riding an ebike be "ebiking"? What's so dirty about being accurate? Why the desire to confuse people?
I'll be your huckleberry! I've repeatedly said throughout years of posts, that ebiking is different and have no confusion stating it's the funnest form of cycling I've done in my life.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
You seem to be uncomfortable with the fact that ebikes have motors. And nowhere in my post was I negative about ebikes, just staying facts. I didn't say anything about trail damage and never have.

Delve deeper into what cyclist really think about ebikes beyond people you briefly meet and you may find things are different than your current perception. Most I've talked to aren't really negative toward them, they just realize that they are different than bicycles and don't appreciate people wanting to modify the very definition of our sport to accommodate people who want to say "ebikes are bicycles; bicycles now have motors". I wouldn't play miniature golf and then tell people I played golf; I wouldn't play table tennis and tell people I played tennis. I'm not meaning to demean ebiking here, just saying they are not cycling/mountain biking; they are something different. I really don't understand why so many ebikers want to insist they are bicycles; I can only think of two possible reasons, they aren't really comfortable with admitting they're no longer bicycling or they want them lumped together to gain more access. What's wrong with just saying that you are ebiking? If someone was telling everyone that they rode a bicycle across the whole US and you later found out it was an ebike, do you really think they were being 100% honest?

Trails are a lot different here on the east coast than they are where you are. As Walt said above, where it is a lot wider and more open space without a lot of users, I think ebikes are ok. I really think ebikes will cause a lot more user conflict in areas similar to where I am. We'll see.
I would of thought the "E" before emtb or ebike would be enough for most people to understand that's its electric and different than a bike.

This is a positive article about ebikes and trail access. Let's not making this into a battle!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You obviously are not an advocate, or if you are you are a very poor and ineffective advocate. It's people like you that that are doing a great disservice to electric motorized bikers. Spouting off with your so-called psychic ability of an opinion to state "my stance" on electric motorized bikes on trails. Let me tell you about opinions. Pay attention here.

When I'm sitting "at the table", land managers and politicians don't give a fk about opinions. When agencies such as CDFW and USFWS are involved with trail plans, they use SCIENCE to present their case. FACTS. When one uses fallacies to argue their position people will not take you seriously.

Had you simply taken 120 seconds of your time to check any of my responses in ANY thread in this forum, there is no way any reasonable human being could come to the same conclusion as you about WTF ever "my stance" is.

I have been consistent on my position of the lack of organization and representation of the electric motorized bike riders in my County. In my County, which has a population larger than 20 of the United States, you would be laughed at if you were present in a meeting and said,"Why can't you simply call it an ebike or emtb? Yes, we all know it has a motor, please don't point out the obvious."

Before you tell me to calm down and take a chill pill, I respectfully request your undivided attention.

There's a reason the manufacturers bypassed the advocacy element of the equation. They knew it would take a lot of effort and time. Their strategy was to get product to market and force land managers to deal with the situation. Let me tell you something, the land managers in my part of the planet do not like for-profit businesses to create a new trail user group and unleash them onto the local, State or Federal properties that they are mandated, by law, to protect and manage. Listen,I'm not being nasty, but no land manager cares that you see electric motorized bikes as being the same as mountain bikes. Which is one of the reasons I, along with my fellow advocate brothers and sisters, view attitudes as yours as being detrimental to your user group. WE have EARNED our right to be at the table and if you cannot understand how some people may be a little perturbed with the audacity of some to suggest you can walk into an advocacy meeting and "sit on our laps", you have a problem much bigger than you could ever know.

I'm feeling very charitable, so here's some free advice: If the electric motorized bike riders are going to forgo the effort and time to advocate LOCALLY and sit back and hope for State and Federal regulations that authorize land managers to make trail access decisions for electric motorized bikes at the LOCAL level, I strongly suggest the electric motorized bike riders immediately begin to advocate for trail access so if or when the land managers are instructed to make decisions about your trail user group's access on their properties, you will have already begun to earn a partnership based upon respect, honor and integrity, not only with the land managers, but all of the existing trail user groups that have earned their seat at the table.
Many of the local authorities here in the Phoenix area now allow eBike access but the Tonto National forest is constrained by Federal policy, which was the subject of the article cited by the OP. Are you in favor of regional Forest Service and BLM recreational managers being empowered to designate trail access for eBikes?

Until recently there's been no distinction between an electric motorized bicycle like the Turbo Levo and a full-on off-road racing motorcycle like a KTM 450 XC-F.

·
Cycologist
10,309 Posts
I'll be your huckleberry! I've repeatedly said throughout years of posts, that ebiking is different and have no confusion stating it's the funnest form of cycling I've done in my life.
Yes you are and I have not forgotten your years of posts and I appreciate that. I also find HikerDave to be an ebiker I can have a discussion with.

1 - 20 of 463 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.