Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
No really, I am that slow
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Woodman SS hub for a couple of months now & it distracts me on every single ride. Time for something else, but what?

The King sounds like a chainsaw. The scuttlebutt on this board is that the Hope & Hadley are noisy too.

Who makes a blissfully quiet SS hub?

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Shimano Deore

I loaned out a rear wheel to a buddy of mine and he was so amazed with how quiet it was. He said he even looked down to make sure all was ok. Now he has his old wheel back and misses mine.

Although it is not SS specific, it is cheap and durable but maybe not too light. I am actually going to use these wheels on my SS build in a few months cause I crave some listening to the birds quietness.

FWIW... I do have CK hubs on my geared full suspension and yes they are loud, but better after they wear in and have been serviced!

db

·
Registered
278 Posts
you aint goin fast enough! im usually so focused on the terrain (bc im going so fast) the noise of the freewheel is the absolute last thing on my mind. im MUCH more concerned with immovable objects and not crashing into them.

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah -- disc freehub. I already got a selection of surly cogs. I'm not gonna go get freewheels too. HGSS is probably right, I'm not fast enough. Already knew that. In therapy for it.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Do you like the Woodman hub otherwise?

woe said:
I've had my Woodman SS hub for a couple of months now & it distracts me on every single ride. Time for something else, but what?

The King sounds like a chainsaw. The scuttlebutt on this board is that the Hope & Hadley are noisy too.

Who makes a blissfully quiet SS hub?
Misfitpsycles sells the same hub with a silent freehub body. If you want to save a few bucks, you could probably just switchout the freehub body and use the same wheel (hub) you have now. ;)

http://www.misfitpsycles.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/138

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about that (it wasn't in stock when I bought the woodman). Hella expensive & takes proprietary cogs. I might bite the bullet & do it, but I'm hoping for a lower cost alternative.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Shimano

dlbennett said:
I loaned out a rear wheel to a buddy of mine and he was so amazed with how quiet it was. He said he even looked down to make sure all was ok. Now he has his old wheel back and misses mine.

Although it is not SS specific, it is cheap and durable but maybe not too light. I am actually going to use these wheels on my SS build in a few months cause I crave some listening to the birds quietness.

FWIW... I do have CK hubs on my geared full suspension and yes they are loud, but better after they wear in and have been serviced!

db
Same here, ordinary Shimano is stealthy. If you want total silence get the police bike hub by Shimano, police need to roll up undetected on the corner dealer. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Easy Solution

Just get yourself the DTSwiss 240S SS specific hub. You will be in like Flynn. They are so quiet sometimes I look back to make sure the hub and cassette are still there.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
yeah what ihatebikes said: putting some thicker lube in your freehub will quiet it down.

but if it's too thick it might gum up the works...

it is also true what people say about shimanos, they aren't super quiet at first but if you abuse them for a good bit without any maintenance they quiet down after a little ;) (experience being on old junky wheels with shimano hubs i use on my commuter).

finally, i hear silent clutch hubs ain't all there cracked up to be longevity-wise but i have never tried them. i really wanted one, but eventually gave up and learned to enjoy my clicking (still so much quieter than gears).

·
bikes are people too
373 Posts
Superlight2003 said:
Just get yourself the DTSwiss 240S SS specific hub. You will be in like Flynn. They are so quiet sometimes I look back to make sure the hub and cassette are still there.
haha, hadn't heard in like flynn for a while, so I looked it up on an idiom website:

http://www.idiomsite.com/inlikeflynn.htm

·
Registered
590 Posts
Have the Stealth Hub, broke it twice. takes me about 4 months of easy SS riding to break it, as in it ain't rideable anymore, slips on medium to hard pedaling (usually running 32:18 or 34:18) . BUT, before it breaks, the instant engagement is truly a wonder to ride, feels like a fixie, but with silent coasting.

I REALLY wish I could recommend the True Precision hub, but I can't.

bike oN
bob

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Don't you hate it when you think you came up with the best idea..

aka brad said:
Misfitpsycles sells the same hub with a silent freehub body. If you want to save a few bucks, you could probably just switchout the freehub body and use the same wheel (hub) you have now. ;)

http://www.misfitpsycles.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/138
and it's like you never posted :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

Tone No Balone said:
Paul's Hubs real quiet and roll nice...
Not with an ACS freewheel it isn't.

Oh well, :D

Brad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.